Seat over gas tank held in by velcro?

BusyKYmom

Reaction score
I decided to pull out the seat while we were putting in gas so I could see the gas going in. Unlike the other seats, this one is held down by velco that that is attached to the bottom of the seat by a bunch of thin staples (pretty cheap trick). Well, the staples pulled out long before the velcro released. Should I just re-staple the velcro back on, or is there a better way to attach it more permanently?

Can you post a picture of the bottom of the seat and also where it would mount to the gas tank? I'd just like to see what you describe here. As you have a 2012, the definitive answer would be of course to contact your dealer for repair under warranty.

I agree on the warranty repair, just let them do it. My 2013 RCW has the same velcro for the rear lounger cushion over the battery area and fuel lines (port), so I assume this is similar. If you do it yourself, be sure to use stainless staples.

There have been comments on this website about seats being held by velcro disappearing when the boat's trailered at highway speeds. It's possible for a wind gust to catch under the lip and make it fly.

If you're going to be trailering your boat, permanently attaching seat helds by velcro from the underside would be advised. Or, take the seat cushion out and keep it inside your vehicle when trailering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping your seats inside isn't realistic, I agree the staples suckered and mine all pulled out the first time I tried, taking it to dealer seems silly, it's just staples. I do think there should be a better way, I'll have to put my thinking cap on. The wind won't pull off a properly placed seat. In the few that have come off, I'm willing to bet it wasn't properly placed. I assume it would be the little section that has a little lip bracket that wasn't slid in all the way. I know I almost did it with mine. The large seat section would be pretty tough if in correctly. I have a strap idea, but don't have a boat to try it on.

Seems like a tether connected in both places would at least keep it from flying out.

Keeping your seats inside isn't realistic, I agree the staples suckered and mine all pulled out the first time I tried, taking it to dealer seems silly, it's just staples. I do think there should be a better way, I'll have to put my thinking cap on. The wind won't pull off a properly placed seat. In the few that have come off, I'm willing to bet it wasn't properly placed. I assume it would be the little section that has a little lip bracket that wasn't slid in all the way. I know I almost did it with mine. The large seat section would be pretty tough if in correctly. I have a strap idea, but don't have a boat to try it on.
I'm planning on trailering my boat 200 miles for a river trip. I'll be putting a small chain under the seat bottom and anchoring it to the seat base. Getting a replacement thru a dealer and Bennington wouldn't be very pleasant.

So the question is, how do you stick your arm under the seat to attach the chain/cable thing? If it's loose enough that you can get your arm under and the wind grabs it while doing 60mph, it could definitely have enough force to rip out however you attach it. In my opinion. My thought, thought, was to take the flat nylon strap(like the one used on the playpen cover) attach it under the lip on one side the underneath storage, and one on the other side, that way in normal use(not towing) the straps would hang underneath the seat and when trailering pull them out, clasp the buckle, cinch it down a little and your good to go.

I would just put the velcro back on with contact cement. With that, 100% of the contact area is holding on as opposed to the tiny bit that the staples cover. I had a motorcycle with a seat that was held on this way, I could remove the seat over and over and the velcro always stayed in place.

I've also used hot melt glue guns with good results on Velcro straps.

Just be careful with hot glue and it getting wet. I remember it not responding well to moisture.

Just be careful with hot glue and it getting wet. I remember it not responding well to moisture.
Yeah from what I've read, salt water will affect it, but fresh is ok (high temp glue). I also found a high temp poly glue for exterior. Probably a salty price setup just to glue some Velcro .......

5200 is some strong stuff !!

I pulled our velcro seat off yesterday. It has about 2 staples per inch of velcro, more or less. None are even starting to pull out.

I would make sure both ends have extra glue and staples. If the ends stay in, they'll all stay in. If the ends pull out first, they'll all likely pull out down the line like dominos Make sure both ends of the velcro are very secure.

What is 5200? Sounds like something I may want to have handy around the house...

It's made by 3M and it's VERY STRONG ! It comes in caulking gun size and I believe in smaller tubes. We used it for sealing oil pans and front covers on Mercedes engines with no gaskets. Once it's on, it's very hard to get off.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience has been NOTHING seals an oil pan. But I believe you, and if this does that, I will have to pick some up!

Back