Seat repair

tonyski

Reaction score
My salvaged 2275 had a tree fall on it.  Apart from upholstery rips it cracked the plastic seat structure.

I tried patching it with a car fiberglass repair kit but after two days of drying, the fiberglass just peeled off.

Any suggestions on how to repair this myself? - don't suggest dealer.

I'll just rivet it to a steel frame if need be.

These are pics taken from the inside of the seat.

In high school a buddy of mine had a couple honda odyssey's (atv/one seater dune buggy things). We were always rolling them over etc and he had a little plastic welder like thing he used to repair the cracked fenders. It has been a while but it seemed to melt the plastic while introducing new plastic into the void to reconnect the pieces. Might be worth looking into.

The body shop I use has plastic welding equipment.  Just a thought, what about Gorilla Glue.  It is amazing.  

https://youtu.be/piuiSXvu8dQ

Here is a product used to fill holes. I think your crack is too large, but they may offer other suggestions. Have you priced a replacement?

Plastic welding is the way to go.  I'm looking into it now.  Thanks!

Does anyone know what type of plastic that the seats/benches are made?

That is interesting, plastic welding. I have never heard of such. My poor ole 1986 Honda Four Traks 4 wheeler had to be patched up with cut up 5 gal buckets and zip ties. Its resting in the barn Know peacefully!

It's cool.  They even use plastic buckets as the source material to fill and patch similar plastics (eg #2 to #2).  Lots of videos on youtube.

High density polyethylene would be my guess on the material used.

I am still suprised fiberglass didn't work. Was the area scuffed etc? You could also drill some holes in the material and fiberglass from both sides sandwiching the original seat base. I've always had good luck rebuilding/making things with fiberglass.

Back