Seats separating at stitching

Rob2001

Reaction score
One of my seats is beginning to separate along the stitching. I will attempt to attach pictures. I plan to reach out for a warranty replacement. Has anyone experienced this before? Also, any issues matching the vinyl with replacement on a 3 year old boat?

Yes, and no problem with match.

Wow, that would seem highly unusual for the age of the boat. Do you keep it covered when not in use?

Do people tend to stand on the seats. Even though we didn’t, I was told this can be a typical cause for this to happen. Sitting spreads the load out, a foot puts all the pressure in a very small area and can cause tearing.

Our 2012 did the same thing. We got a skin replaced under warranty but after we replaced it only a few months later it started doing it again.

The problem is/was the Foam. When the foam breaks down, the seat skin stretches way more then it can handle.
If you replace the skin it’s only gonna do it again.

The fix is you need to to swap out the foam with new High Density foam. This way the seat will keep its shape.

Wow, that would seem highly unusual for the age of the boat. Do you keep it covered when not in use?

Yes, all the time. I'm anal about taking care of it.

Do people tend to stand on the seats. Even though we didn’t, I was told this can be a typical cause for this to happen. Sitting spreads the load out, a foot puts all the pressure in a very small area and can cause tearing.

No. We do have kids that will occasionally stand on a seat (very occasionally), but this wouldn't be one that they would stand on.

Our 2012 did the same thing. We got a skin replaced under warranty but after we replaced it only a few months later it started doing it again.

The problem is/was the Foam. When the foam breaks down, the seat skin stretches way more then it can handle.
If you replace the skin it’s only gonna do it again.

The fix is you need to to swap out the foam with new High Density foam. This way the seat will keep its shape.

Thank you for that info. I will request/insist that the entire seat cushion be replaced.

Robert6401, sounds like you're doing everything right. I've got a 2016 as well so I'll be keeping a close eye on my seams. Thankfully, Bennington will take good care of you.

We also had the same problem on our 2012 rcw. Got it fixed under warranty . No Problem with matching colors in my experience. Bennington sent us completely new seats (new skins and foam for front corner seats). But the same problem happened about a year later. I don't think its always a foam problem but do agree it can potential be the problem. My boat had 30 hours on it and 2 years when it first happened. I think it's mostly in the material and sewing. But that's why Bennington has such a great warranty. Only problem is that it takes almost an entire season to get warranty replacements sometimes, so do it sooner then later.

Yes. I have a 2013 2550 rcl. The seams on my cushions were separating in the back. Bennington replaced both cushions no problem!!.....

I spray mine with 303 aerospace protectant twice a month in the summer. My grandpa always said an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

One of my seats is beginning to separate along the stitching. I will attempt to attach pictures. I plan to reach out for a warranty replacement. Has anyone experienced this before? Also, any issues matching the vinyl with replacement on a 3 year old boat?
I have experienced this same problem on a 2008 Bennington tritoon. I took all the seats out to an Amish reupholsery and there was enough material to stretch and re-sew the seams. He said he sees this on a fairly regularly basis. He said often the material is not good enough to repair but luckily mine was. Cost $400.00. It was a lot of work to take the material off on all the seat cushions. That was the only place it was doing that.

I am having the same issue with my 2012 RCW. Has anyone ever tried one of the vinyl repair kits? I am out of warranty so that is not an option. I am open to any other ideas.

Back