Second Full or Auxiliary Battery

Brian105

Reaction score
Hi I am new to boating and bought my first pontoon in May. I’m having a blast. I do get concerned that I’m going to wear down the battery when we anchor and listen to music etc. Should I install a second full battery? Has anyone seen or can Marinas offer smaller auxiliary batteries that would take up less space?

Thanks in advance for your Thoughts .

If you play music a lot while drifting or on anchor the only way you will achieve peace of mind is to get a second battery. We have one and no more worries about a dead battery. Probably would go with the same size battery as you already have for reasons someone smarter than me can explain. I think my dealer installed mine near two years ago along with a switch and wiring etc. for around $300.00. Btw welcome to the forum and to Bennington. Tell us about yourself and your boat and of course the more pictures the better.

Thanks very much Mike.
I retired in November, moved to a townhouse on a Fox River marina in Port Barrington Illinois in December.
My wife Karen and I took delivery on a 2018 23SSRXD with an extended deck powered by a Yamaha 150. Still figuring it all out but getting assistance and great advice from Ty and all of the boating community at Port Barrington Motor Sports Marina and The No Wake Bar and Grill. Stop by and I’ll by you a cocktail or 10 .
Thanks again

Or buy a Battery jump pack in case your battery goes dead. We just bought a Stanley Fat Max Power station from Sam's Club. We don't leave the dock without it......

For most of us with "basic" stereo systems, the question of whether to add a second battery really boils down to your level of risk tolerance. My previous boat had a single battery and I could sit at the sandbar for a good portion of the afternoon and still be able to fire up the engine to go home.

That said, depending on the type of stereo you have, the number of hours you're playing it (6-8 hours?)and the strength of your battery, yes, you could run into trouble. And like Mike suggested above, if you're going to spend the entire time worrying about getting home, adding a second battery or "jump pack" will greatly reduce your stress level and the likelihood of a problem.

Of the four boats I've towed this year, two were due to a dead battery. However, it should also be noted that those boats were quite old and I'm assuming so was their battery.

Welcome to boating, Bennington and the forum! Be sure to show us your pics!

Hehe, I had 3 group 31 batteries (amazing Northstar batteries) for the stereo, a group 24 for starting (also Northstar) and still carried my big Nautilus jump box! I used the jump box 110v plug to fill all the inflatables, but I also liked it for boosting OTHER boats! Bought it with my first boat and only had to use it twice as a booster, both times on other people.

I would also say with 50 years on the water that a second battery would be a must. A simple switch can let you choose which battery to use or charge. There are more "modern" systems made by Blue Seas and others that do it for you but I like to keep it simple and when I get to the age where I can't keep up with a 1, 2, or All switch or who is messing with it then I need to pack it in. The quality of the battery is important as all are not created equal and you can read volumes on that.
I would also second a jump box "just in case". I have been towed in 30 miles off shore off the Florida coast and lived and fished for 20 years in Alaska and believe in redundant systems for a reason. Also, boat motors often do not have the charging capabilities of a car alternator and most boats are not used enough to keep the starting battery or batteries charged and you do not want to let a starting battery go down to 0 numerous times..A gauge that accurately tell the voltage of a battery while being used is also a good idea as you can watch any drops and take action.
If you have a dock I would recommend an on board charger.
Sorry for the long rant but feel strongly about being able to get home....

I agree, the ability to get home is a must.

I had Ultra Legs installed and the dealer installed a second battery just in case. After reading all the posts I’m really glad I have 2 batteries. I also will be bringing a small jumper battery pack with me on trips.

We bought this. 5,420 reviews, but the one I like most was the guy who said it could jump start a dead horse!
Haven't needed it yet, but it stores easily and I can use it for other stuff if I want.

upload_2018-8-9_12-5-8.png

I agree with Tin Diesel, I have the same jump pac. I haven’t need it for myself but I have helped several others with it on the lake. It’s cheap insurance that every truck, camper and boat owner should have.

I have had two portable jump boxes over the years. Neither of them were very expensive. I believe each cost me less than $100. I was never impressed with them (probably because they were not very high quality). The last time my jump box would not start a small motor, I did some research and ended up buying a portable lithium jump starter. I bought the 1000 amp version for just under $100 delivered. Have used it twice so far and am very impressed. I really like how small and portable they are. They'll charge smart phones, tablets, etc. -- anything with a USB charge cord. This is the one I bought:

NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TKUPIC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have a picture of where they placed their added battery and the perko switch? I plan to add a second battery this coming weekend and for got to take pictures of the compartment so I could plan out what I will need for mounting. I have a 2010 2554-GCW with Yamaha 150 and the first battery is under the rear lounger - I'm hoping there is room to install another battery box right next to the first one and find a place close by for the switch. Anyone have pics that you think might be helpful. Rick

Rick, I've got a 2574 GCW with dual batteries located under the port stern lounger. You should have no problem dropping a second battery in there along with a perko. Sorry, but no pictures to share of my set-up.

53069700-3df1-4522-a956-15bede88d13f-jpeg.23026

Here's the setup in our 2375GCW under the port rear lounger.

Does anyone have a picture of where they placed their added battery and the perko switch? I plan to add a second battery this coming weekend and for got to take pictures of the compartment so I could plan out what I will need for mounting. I have a 2010 2554-GCW with Yamaha 150 and the first battery is under the rear lounger - I'm hoping there is room to install another battery box right next to the first one and find a place close by for the switch. Anyone have pics that you think might be helpful. Rick

Both of my batteries are under the foot rest of the port lounger. They are safely tucked away, sitting side by side. The switch is screwed to the floor right next to them.

Back