Sell or Trade?

Nat

Reaction score
Do y’all think I should sell my tritoon or trade it in and why? Or, how about just remodeling her? Thanks for playing!

Boats are like cars, generally you will get more for your boat if you sell it outright as opposed to trading it in. The fiip side is you have to advertise and show it to prospective buyers. My dealer offered another option, a consignment sale, put the boat on his lot, he advertised it, and was willing to finance it for a new owner in return for a sales commission that we negotiated. I initially attempted to sell the boat myself with little success and a lot of scammers contacting me so I then chose the consignment option. For me it was more about convenience than the profit.

I traded ... took a slight loss compared to selling outright, but no tire kickers wasting my time and energy. I handed them the key and walked away. What’s your intentions? Did you “want” a new boat, or just looking to upgrade the style somewhat? If I could have changed 3 things on my old toon I would have kept it. Seagrass, extended deck and rear loungers. It was too cost prohibitive to attempt so we traded and got EVERYTHING we ever thought we’d want (barring big hp and tri-toons)

What year/model do you have? What shape is it in? Sold our first boat, a bowrider, in a day on Craigslist. There are good buyers out there. Give it a shot....... Then if it doesn't work out go the trade route. Or remodel.

Might probably depends on how handy a person is, finances, if they enjoy restoring things as a hobby, or what type of time they could shift to it. For instance, I’m not handy, and when I have freed up time, I want to relax or have fun vs. working on a project. My job leaves me with little left in my tank on the weekends.

For me, its about getting what I want out of the gate, and then enjoying it from there on out. I’d sell and order just what I want and go from there. But that’s me. There are some amazingly skilled people out there where a boat remodel would be a project they’d love and take great pride in their work when it’s done.

Oh...and in terms of selling or trading. I’d give selling a chance first. So far on what few items I’ve tried selling on FB Marketplace and Craigslist, I’ve had great success. Never taken more than 1-2 weeks, and one items was a 2 year old loaded out tritoon lift that I was selling for a pretty decent amount of money: sold in 5 days!

I traded ... took a slight loss compared to selling outright, but no tire kickers wasting my time and energy. I handed them the key and walked away. What’s your intentions? Did you “want” a new boat, or just looking to upgrade the style somewhat? If I could have changed 3 things on my old toon I would have kept it. Seagrass, extended deck and rear loungers. It was too cost prohibitive to attempt so we traded and got EVERYTHING we ever thought we’d want (barring big hp and tri-toons)
It needs new upholstery, then might as well replace the carpet with the bamboo or seagrass, and put in a new table, and paint it…quite a job! If I sell it, wouldn’t I have to at least do the upholstery & paint? Investing in old or buy new is the question… (Over 100k now!)

What year/model do you have? What shape is it in? Sold our first boat, a bowrider, in a day on Craigslist. There are good buyers out there. Give it a shot....... Then if it doesn't work out go the trade route. Or remodel.
It just has sun damage. Upholstery needs redone. Carpet is ok, but why not upgrade it…and the exterior is faded and I can’t seem to get out watermarks. Cosmetic mostly I guess. So if I sell it, won’t I still have to do the upholstery at least? Is that investment worth it to turn around and sell it?

Might probably depends on how handy a person is, finances, if they enjoy restoring things as a hobby, or what type of time they could shift to it. For instance, I’m not handy, and when I have freed up time, I want to relax or have fun vs. working on a project. My job leaves me with little left in my tank on the weekends.

For me, its about getting what I want out of the gate, and then enjoying it from there on out. I’d sell and order just what I want and go from there. But that’s me. There are some amazingly skilled people out there where a boat remodel would be a project they’d love and take great pride in their work when it’s done.
Thanks, you’re right. I guess I don’t need to re-upholster before selling? So I’ll lose roughly 4k on sale… hmm...

It needs new upholstery, then might as well replace the carpet with the bamboo or seagrass, and put in a new table, and paint it…quite a job! If I sell it, wouldn’t I have to at least do the upholstery & paint? Investing in old or buy new is the question… (Over 100k now!)
Yeah that $100000 figure is what keeps me off Bennington's boatbuilder and keeps me motivated to take care of what we already have. Our boat is 15 yrs old. But I religiously cover it, take care of the seats and carpet, and do whatever maintenance that it needs. I know it won't last forever but we'll keep it going as long as we can.

Yeah that $100000 figure is what keeps me off Bennington's boatbuilder and keeps me motivated to take care of what we already have. Our boat is 15 yrs old. But I religiously cover it, take care of the seats and carpet, and do whatever maintenance that it needs. I know it won't last forever but we'll keep it going as long as we can.
Yep, unfortunately divorce preceded starting or putting in a dock with lift and cover for my 2009 baby… And, I’d have to HIRE someone to do the flooring which include gutting it and putting new plywood down, etc. I’ve already priced out the upholstery, bimini top, and table...

Back