sgoodson251@comcast.net

Bucket list

Reaction score
Got a 20sl tritoon ordered . Thought I had ordered the SPS package and the dealer told me that it did not have it and he added the lifting stakes at his cost . My question is , will having the lifting stakes without  performance foils work ? . It has the xl115 package . He said he called the factory and the xl115 was the best package for that boat . They said it would be the best handling boat on the lake . I'll be running it on Tennessee river with a lot of chop . They are selling boats . They said the lifting foils would not be worth the money for that boat , but , got them with no extra cost , so why not .

Just worried I'm putting over $30000 in a boat that I'll hate . Worked like a borrowed mule all my life and thats a big lick . Have a bucket list thing of running approx 800 mile trip with this boat .

Please offer your thoughts .

If you ordered the SPS package then that's what you should get.  I could be wrong but it kind of sounds like the dealer messed up on the order and he's "adding" lifting strakes to cover his blunder.

If you ordered the SPS package then that's what you should get.  I could be wrong but it kind of sounds like the dealer messed up on the order and he's "adding" lifting strakes to cover his blunder.

My thoughts exactly. Get what you ordered.

Thanks Havasu ,

Think I'll be back at the dealer tomorrow and cancel the order . Gave a big non refundable deposit and not feeling good about it . We discussed everything in detail and betting now it dosen't have the under deck wave shields either .

I just looked and the 20ft sl doesn't come in sps form. 115 performance is all you can get with 2 tubes.

Thanks for the response Cwag911

The boat is a Tritoon . It's got the full center toon with 32 gallon transom  fuel tank , and a 115 Yamaha . xl115 package .

Feeling kinda sick on this deal ! I added the upgrade captains chair and a in dash depth, fish finder, gps and such .

Been emailing back and forth with dealer by email and going to see him eye ball to eye ball tomorrow . Hope I don't need bail! (just joking )

Find the quote or invoice, whats it say?  If it says tritoon SPS then that's what you get damnit.  Don't let them jack you around, but don't end up in jail, that can't be on your list.  Good luck.  Now..  the work i could do with a borrowed mule ???

Sounds like the dealer is back peddling to cover an order mistake on his part by throwing in the strakes.  If he can call the factory and add the strakes he should be able to actually correct his misplaced order and get you the correct sps package like you ordered.  That way you would not only have the strakes down the center but the foils on the inside of the outer toons as well.

We have the sps package and it rides and handles great on our lake granted it's only 5800 acres but can get pretty choppy with all the boat traffic on any given weekend.  I wouldn't settle for anything less. 

Your right , jail ain't on the old bucket list . All the dealer put on the recipte was was 2017 bennington 20sl tritoon w/115 Yahama , Trailer tandam axel with brake and recieved $3000 non refundable deposit and should be here around Sept 10th . Never gave me a invoice . Said  the girl that does the ordering was on vacation and would be back Monday (this was on the pervious Thursday ) .  Kept after him for a invoice and never got one .

Nice boat Indian-Lake-Bum . Wish I could have afforded that one .

Now may not have one at all ! Tomorrow will tell .

Just did the boat builder.... Boat isn't available with triple toons, only two??? I think you got sold a boat that isn't available and the dealer is throwing in stuff to cover! You need a face to face with him as no twin tube is going to compare to the triple you're expecting!!!! Rebuild/ reorder a new boat in his office and make him show you the build sheet, bring it on here and we can confirm, you have waaaay to much money involved to not get what you wanted/ordered! You'd just need a copy of that receipt and sure a judge would see your side. I'm wound up enough about this to visit the guy for you!! I hate when people get taken advantage of!!!

I'm taking your advice . Will be face to face tomorrow . I couldn't get the boat builder to work on my computer . (old guy and not to computer savvy ) I have found a 20sl tritoon on utube and a dealer has one up north listed . Both have the SPS package . So I know Benny builds them .

Let you know how it goes providing I'm not in jail tomorrow (I'm a sweet old guy until I'm messed over . ), and deeply  appreciate your advise and concern .

Bought the boat for $31000 out the door including tax (9.5% in Tennessee)

We don't have state income tax and sales tax is nuts . Think he is trying to get cheaper boat than I ordered . Paying cash and thats a big chunk of this retired hard working mans savings .

I'm fine with the price , just want the boat I ordered . Think he knows he priced it to cheap and making it up by taking away from the boat .  

Please keep us posted! I have one regret with my boat and there no easy way to adjust, hate to see you in the same position!

So if reading correctly you both discussed what you wanted, he ordered, found out not available, then changed it without input from you and no change order? Shame on him. Good luck with your face to face meeting. Just remember, anger gets you nowhere. Be forceful but respectful. 

Good advise , going to try and keep my cool . Hope a lawyer is not in my future . I either want the boat we discussed or my deposit back . Will come home with invoice and everything in writing if he will do the right thing , if not , he will give deposit back or we will be before a judge .

Had big plans for the Benny , but , may have to go with another brand . I will see and touch the next one just to know for sure what I'm getting . Ordering one is now out for me . Don't want to go through this again . Black mark and a bad taste in my mouth for Benny now .

This is a dealer issue, not Bennington, so I'd find another dealer. EVERY boat has a build sheet the dealer receives when they order, which has the configuration with all of the option details. It was the primary communication between my dealer and me when we ordered, as well as all changes made during the process. If he can't produce that, he's not being honest with you. Best of luck, as these boats are still the best in the business. Unfortunately not all dealers live up to that standard.

I do get that now . Tennessee dealers for Bennys are few and far between . I bought a new camper way out of town (Chattanooga) last year and no local dealers want to do warrenty work on it and I have to drag it over the moutain and through the city to get it worked on .

Know Bennys are the best , but , trying to stay fairly local for that reason . If it comes to stepping away from Bennington , thats whats on my mind now .

I do get that now . Tennessee dealers for Bennys are few and far between . I bought a new camper way out of town (Chattanooga) last year and no local dealers want to do warrenty work on it and I have to drag it over the moutain and through the city to get it worked on .

Know Bennys are the best , but , trying to stay fairly local for that reason . If it comes to stepping away from Bennington , thats whats on my mind now .

I agree with you, and always try to buy local myself. We had 3 very good Bennington and Harris dealers within 20 miles so it was easy for us (and no mountains, lucky you!). As alternatives, Manitou and Premier, possibly Harris, are the ones most often mentioned in that same tier. After that, it's a smorgasbord of also very shiny boats, that sometimes don't live up to the quality and manufacturer/dealer reputation of this first group, after the sale. Bennington dealers receive excellent factory support after the sale, as there are many examples here where they worked together to make something right, more often than not, when problems came up. Picking a dealer you're comfortable with is obviously very important so I hope that works out for you.

Best of luck to you!

One other option, take it out for a test (which should be done anyhow) and see if it meets your expectations. It's quite possible depending on what you are accustomed/expecting it to do, it will suit you. At that point, I would clarify the price you "should" have paid based on the specs you originally had. Did you match the boat in "boat builder" to get an idea of the price? If he "charged" you for the SPS then of course that should be deducted. 

What were your complete specs/option choices on your purchase?

And you are correct, there are 20' SPS out there at dealers...... Maybe discontinued for 2017, but I found 2015/2016's listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back