Shark Hide...did they do it???

Benni Newbie

Reaction score
We paid for shark hide. I am aware that it does not prevent scratches. But I thought it would prevent the two tone difference (see photo). We always keep the boat on the trailer, but we kept it at our lakehouse over a long wknd and this is what happened. I am beginning to think they did not put the shark hide on the pontoons. Any suggestions??

Attachments

• DE6AE0C5-469F-49AD-85DA-FB559EA073AA.jpeg
    DE6AE0C5-469F-49AD-85DA-FB559EA073AA.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 143
Wow! Did it sit in really bad brackish water over the weekend? Our lake isn’t super bad, but it isn’t crystal clear either. There were a couple times last year I had it tied up dockside and not out on our lift for entire weekends. Never anything like that. With Sharkhide I would not expect that kind of issue even after leaving it on the water overnight a few different times. I’d be wondering about it having been put on too if I were you. Just doesn’t seem right.

My toons are looking like that. Luckily we have soft water and are on year three. That’s not a Sharkhide issue you have. I’d say that’s normal. If your upper toons have not discolored after probably 3 months or so, it’s got it.

My toons are looking like that. Luckily we have soft water and are on year three. That’s not a Sharkhide issue you have. I’d say that’s normal. If your upper toons have not discolored after probably 3 months or so, it’s got it.

But after just one weekend in the water? That’s what’s got me. Says its on a lift other than having it sit in the water for one weekend recently that led to that...?

Did you try and wipe it off? Is it possibly a scum like covering that can be removed. Reason I ask is the vertical lines on the cloudy portion I can see in the pic.

We put 2 coats of Sharkhide on and saw the difference below the water line pretty quick as well when we first started using it. It’s still effective in making it very easy to wipe off the junk from the toons below the water line.

Wow! Did it sit in really bad brackish water over the weekend? Our lake isn’t super bad, but it isn’t crystal clear either. There were a couple times last year I had it tied up dockside and not out on our lift for entire weekends. Never anything like that. With Sharkhide I would not expect that kind of issue even after leaving it on the water overnight a few different times. I’d be wondering about it having been put on too if I were you. Just doesn’t seem right.
It was actually in the water for approximately one month. We normally keep it on a trailer. Our lake is spring fed and very clear. There aren’t any cypress trees around. The marks on the pontoons do not wipe off.

Did you try and wipe it off? Is it possibly a scum like covering that can be removed. Reason I ask is the vertical lines on the cloudy portion I can see in the pic.
We tried to wipe it off and it doesn’t come off. We actually had it in the water for a month not a long wknd like I thought. But still our lake water is spring fed and very clear.

After talking with my husband, I found out that the pontoon was in the water for a month...not a long wknd. However, our lake is spring fed and very clear.

Our boat is less than 6 months old with about 40 hours. We keep it on a trailer normally, but decided to leave it at our lakehouse for a month. I just didn’t think that it would change the color of the pontoons at the water line with Sharkhide protection.

I get that you paid for shark hide but why is the line a big deal. I guess I see it all the time and don’t pay attention. When in water you don’t see it. Does it hurt resell? I am looking at pontoons because I want less waxing and upkeep of an I/o bow rider. I spend so much time cleaning after use it actually seems to be more than usage. Of course everyone is gone when it’s time to clean. Do you have to wipe down toons after use? My dad never did on his but he has a lift.

I get that you paid for shark hide but why is the line a big deal. I guess I see it all the time and don’t pay attention. When in water you don’t see it. Does it hurt resell? I am looking at pontoons because I want less waxing and upkeep of an I/o bow rider. I spend so much time cleaning after use it actually seems to be more than usage. Of course everyone is gone when it’s time to clean. Do you have to wipe down toons after use? My dad never did on his but he has a lift.

If your pontoon will sit in the water, it will first develop a water line/discoloration on the pontoons, but will also start to accumulate grim/algae, etc. Discoloration, if not protected, happens fast. The grim buildup will impact speed significantly over time. How quickly it builds up depends on the type of water it sits in.

If on a lift or trailer, and if you clean and wipe them down periodically, they might discolor at the water line a bit, but probably not have build up or grim. If you Sharkhide or ceramic coat the pontoons, and periodically wipe them down, they will look shinny and new for a long time - particularly if on a lift or trailer.

I’m on my THIRD summer with the pontoon and Sharkhide from delivery. My pontoons look really good. They could probably use a wipe down, but NO build up, and only the slightest of discoloration under the water line. I’ve NEVER wiped them down - not once. But it has always been kept on a lift the first two years, and now up out of the water on its Sea Legs when not in use.

Will grime build up or discoloration affect resale? Sure. If I were buying used, I would ONLY be looking for something in pristine condition. For others, it wouldn’t matter at all so long as they are on the water as cheaply as possible. Dirty toons are a huge eyesore, and a real pain to try to clean back up once it happens. As a result, it is hard for me to imagine it not having a decent impact on resale value.

Last edited:
Will grim build up or discoloration affect resale? Sure. If I were buying used, I would ONLY be looking for something in pristine condition. For others, it wouldn’t matter at all so long as they are on the water as cheaply as possible. Dirty toons are a huge eyesore, and a real pain to try to clean back up once it happens. As a result, it is hard for me to imagine it not having a decent impact on resale value.

Let me offer an opposing opinion to the esteemed boater from the wolverine state. While I absolutely agree with everything Jeff said in his first two paragraphs, discolored pontoons have zero impact on me if I am considering purchasing a used boat. Zero, zilch, nada. My boat sits in the water from April to October, so I can't see below the water line, and therefore, don't care if they're green. (Scum build-up does significantly affect performance, so I do get in the water once or twice a season and scrub them with a 3M Scotchbrite pad. Takes about 30 minutes to do both toons, inside and out.) I acid wash the toons at the end of the season and they look like new. Been doing this for about the last 18 years.

Before acid wash:

Winterize 2018.jpg

After:
Winterize 2018 10.jpg

My boat sits in the water from April to October, so I can't see below the water line, and therefore, don't care if they're green. (Scum build-up does significantly affect performance, so I do get in the water once or twice a season and scrub them with a 3M Scotchbrite pad. Takes about 30 minutes to do both toons, inside and out.) I acid wash the toons at the end of the season and they look like new. Been doing this for about the last 18 years.

And this is what makes the forum so great. Wonderful and diverse experiences, knowledge, advise, etc. Cannot beat first hand experience like Sunedogs above, especially with those two pictures.

However, as a Spartan fan, the description of being from the “Wolverine state” hurts. Hurts deep. Even if the state of Michigan is known as such. LOL :D

I can't tell from the pic if it has Sharkhide or not. I'd test an inconspicuous spot with a Q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner. You'll easily see the difference if it's been coated.

Based on your pic Sharkhide has been applied. If it hasn't it would be discolored after a good month in the water. Even after applying 3 coats of Sharkhide there are a few areas that I missed on the center tube underneath and it has discolored. After trailering for years we have kept our boat in the water from April to September for the past 4 seasons. It has been a constant battle to keep clean. Sharkhide makes it easier......

Last edited:
Back