Shark Hide

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
How do I know that Shark Hide was applied to my boat?

I know that I ordered shark Hide when we built our boat.

When we put our boat in the water for the 1st. time it sat in the water in a slip for about 2 months until our lift came in and was installed.

After that time for the remainder of the season it stayed on the lift.

At the end of the season, our dealer cleaned and winterized our boat and shrink wrapped it before it was sent back to the factory for warranty work.

When we picked out boat up this spring I noticed that the tubes looked as if they were 5 years old. Our boat was only in the water 2 months.

I thought that Shark Hide was good for more than 1 year.

How do I know if Bennington did indeed apply the Shark Hide?

Mine also is in a slip all season ,I had a similar question 

I received this response from Clint @ Sharkhide 

Hi Jack,

How long it lasts depends directly on the marine growth in the spot that you keep your boat.

On a boat that is kept on a trailer or a lift when not in use Sharkhide can keep the pontoons looking new pretty much forever if you take care of them.

But on a boat that’s just left in the water the sharkhide  (below the water line) may last a couple years, or it may only last a few months.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Clint 

I also "try" to wipe mine done @ the sand bar once a week 

I have the dealer re apply every other year 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I didn't go the sharkhide route. I agree it looks better but I didn't want the associated maintenance and up keep.

If I remember correctly, I put 3 coats of sharkhide on my tubes at the beginning of the season last year and we had the boat in a slip in the water all season.  When I took the boat out of the water you could see a very noticeable difference in the tubes below the water line vs above.  Above the water line looked great and below was a noticeable difference.  

I put one additional coat on this year but not sure I needed it as they still look good above the water line.  

Going on 3 years with our factory applied shark hide. Still looks great with a few areas where the bumpers have a few marks in it, going to remove it and polish them next year and re-apply a few coats. I only ever wash it with soap and water and it looks great. Then I'm scared of salt water! :)  

I contacted Sharkhide and they called me for pictures.

I will let you know the outcome.

Did you notice  Sharkhide tags on it ?

/gallery/album_351/gallery_4015_351_991043.jpg/gallery/album_351/gallery_4015_351_442838.jpg

No, I didn't see any stickers on our boat and we pulled it from the factory to our dealer.

But I could have missed them.

I don't think it was applied at the factory (even though we paid for it) because of the way my tubes stained and now look.

I have sent pictures to Sharkhide and we'll see what they say!!

How long will this Shark hide last  fresh water and what takes it off? rather have the natural look than the comments look what you bumpers did to your boat.

No matter what you do the boat will require maintenance. I boat in a few fresh water lakes and trailer my boat. My dealer had never used the product and is always impressed when I stop by and he sees the boat. I have had great success the past 3 years with the factory application. I do not know how many coats that is. Not all water is the same content so obviously results will vary. Best of luck!!

Back