Sharkhide for shipping.

MRJ

Reaction score
I’ve been told that Bennington automatically applies Sharkhide at no cost when they do a winter build. Keeps the toons protected from salt and sand damage during shipping to the northern states. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited:
That’s the rumor but your dealer can verify.

My dealer does it I think the dealer pays though . I am not a fan of it though

Mine was included a few years ago .Ordered in December delivered to the dealer in February .I had it on my order ,it showed on on the form as N/C

My dealer in SC says he always declines the free Sharkhyde unless the customer really wants it. He says it causes too many issues down the road for trying to clean the toons and really only helps above the water line. I do not have any personal experience with it myself but have heard pros and cons.

I think this is a myth. I've ordered both my boats in the fall while in MI with December deliveries. Neither had sharkhide applied.

We just ordered our new boat - no mention of sharkhide. I'll let you know in a couple months...

I was going to add Sharkhide when we put in our winter order two years ago. Dealer told us not to as it is applied automatically to Bennington’s shipped out in the winter. Sure enough, it had the sharkhide tags on the logs at arrival and invoice confirmed Sharkhide at “no charge”.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRJ
Is there a different product you like?
Rather not have anything, anywhere it wears off like around the bumpers it will look dark. I am now trying to figure how to get it off. looks good if your boat sits on a trailer all the time though.

I’ve been told that Bennington automatically applies Sharkhide at no cost when they do a winter build. Keeps the toons protected from salt and sand damage during shipping to the northern states. Can anyone verify this?
My dealer(Burt Lk Marina) just took delivery of my our 25QX. I paid for the Sharkhide when ordered. The back of the toon are tagged Sharkhide. Wonder if I should not of paid for this??

The practice may have changed since Polaris took over

I called and asked Bennington when my boat was delivered in April 2018 because I had tags on it that said Sharkhide was on it and I didn't order it. They said they apply it to the winter builds when delivered to the northern states at no charge. I gave them my hull number and they confirmed it.

I had sharkhide applied by my detailer. It doesn't last forever, especially when you keep your boat in the water for long periods of time! We never keep our boat in the water for longer than a week at a time. I have one season on my toon's and they look pretty good. Only showing little wear from fenders rubbing it off. Detailer told me that It should last 3 seasons... I'll have it applied again at that time sharhide 2.jpg

Our Sharkhide will be on year 3 now. Below water line starting to show signs of use as expected, but above still looks like new. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I bought a one year old demo in 2012 and the toons were weathered and these still look brand new. Next may be to get the dealers contact to remove and polish and reapply .... then it would look really sweet!!!

I ordered our boat in December, 2016. Asked about Sharkhide, dealer said Bennington shipped boats in our climate with it because of salt spray etc. Sure enough, boat came in end of February with Sharkhide. So far, two boating seasons, 145 hours in the water, toons look great yet, except where I rubbed against an unprotected doc. I will be purchasing a can for touch up when recommissioning this spring.

Rather not have anything, anywhere it wears off like around the bumpers it will look dark. I am now trying to figure how to get it off. looks good if your boat sits on a trailer all the time though.

Mine looks good going on Year 3. I moved my bumpers up a little so as not to rub. My 5 year old toon before this one, the toons looked 10 years old.

Placed order on January 12, 2019 for our first pontoon: 21 SFX and was told Bennington will include Sharkhide at no charge due to winter build and northern climate.

Back