Sharkhide 'touch up'

Dale Benson

Reaction score
In reading several posts about Sharkhide protectant, several have commented about dark spots or patches developing where areas were either missed during application or from later getting rubbed or scraped off.
When this occurs, how does one correct the issue? Can you effectively apply Sharkhide yourself to these areas in such a way that it blends with the old? How do you get rid of the dark oxidized areas first? Or, would you basically have to start all over by removing the original application with paint thinner and then re-apply to the whole boat?

I have my dealer reapply mine every other year .
Here is a link to the Sharkhide site .
FAQ's and products available including a cleaner
http://www.sharkhide.com/mpfaq.html

I rubbed the scrape marks I accumulated with fine steel wool and spot coated with SH. Now I have shiny spots on my tubes. I wish I had not done that.

... Now I have shiny spots on my tubes. I wish I had not done that.

That's exactly what I was curious about. So, would it be accurate to assert that if a person acquires dark spots on their tunes, they'll likely want to just live with it until such time as they feel it's bad enough to justify stripping all the old Sharkhide off and then apply a whole new coat?

No ,he cleans the tubes and reapply s over the old
I added the Sharkhide to my order, thanks everyone! Lol. So, can you tell me exactly how you would spot clean an area on the pontoon where the Sharkhide gets rubbed off & oxidizes. Thanks! We plan to trailer the boat to keep it looking good but sounds like something I need to know. Or better yet, something I need to teach my husband! Lol

I would try to lightly polish the area to try and get close to the sheen of the section with Sharkhide, then reapply. You could use gentle scotchbrite also.

My sharkhide is on its fourth season and I’m just finally looking to touch up one area where a bumper sits when I tie up at the in-laws. That is good stuff!

I have called the Sharkhide guy, he is really a nice man. His name is Clinton Bland, he will answer every question that you have about his product.

Last edited:
Back