Sharkhide

sparkdr220

Reaction score
We are getting ready to sharkhide the toons and realised there are a ton of white spots that will not come off with soap and water. Did someone here say they cleaned their toons and what did you use?

White spots? Is it discoloration, like something has spilled or splashed on them? Ours has a couple of streaks going vertically down one toon as if something dripped down from the deck. Maybe you could try a very fine scotch brite pad, of course do a test spot on the inside top where it can't be seen. I also remember seeing that someone had suggested acetone to clean toons, but that sounds kinda scarry! You don't want to do any harm, so again, find a good test spot. I hope to be doing the Sharkhide this weekend, so let us know what you find out. Good luck and be careful!

White spots? Is it discoloration, like something has spilled or splashed on them?
It looks like hard water scale all over the pontoons. Maybe damage from the road salt on our 2 hour trip home with it?

We have tried several things to try to remove it in hidden spots. Went from gentle to aggressive. Ivory Soap and water. Non scratch kitchen sponge. Magic Eraser. 303 cleaner and protectant. Lime away. Vinegar....and finally tonight...Toon Brite.

(We do not recommend this unless your toons REALLY need cleaning. It's acid so it etches the aluminum which then needs polishing. It was a mess..looks bad...and it didn't work on the spots.)

We are seriously considering just putting the boat in for the season and cleaning and protecting the toons in the fall if others have had a good experience with the Sharkhide.

Detailing is giving me a serious headache. Want to just get the boat in the water and start having fun!!
cool.gif

We are seriously considering just putting the boat in for the season and cleaning and protecting the toons in the fall if others have had a good experience with the Sharkhide.
I like this. I think I'd rather be a slave to a buffing wheel in the fall when boating is over than in the spring when boating is calling.....

We have tried everything including toon bright[which is basically acid] It cleans like crazy but does not remove the spots. nothing is working. It looks like we are going to skip the sharkhide. It seems pointless to lock in those pesky white spots.

Hi Sparkdr220, after reading about your spots, i went out and looked at mine.. sadly, i have tiny white spots as well. I think it may be just oxidation, the toons are raw aluminum, and without some sort of protection i think this will be an ongoing problem. You are right about not putting Sharkhide on at this point, but something should be done to keep more spots from growing. while walking around my shop, trying not to panic, i grabbed a fine scotch brite and tried that, but it leaves too many scratch marks. Then, i saw a can of Meguiars mag and aluminum polish on one of my techs tool cart. That seems to work pretty well, although it does not completely remove them, but it makes a big difference in how pronounced they are, and i feel it should protect them from further oxidation. And it has a nice cinnamon smell!

Jeffery and/or Brenda, The toon brite and polish made a difference as well. Very difficult to work with though. I am going to try a few more things and then go with goldnrods idea of putting it off until fall. Actually, it was 65 and sunny today. 81 tomorrow. I may just say the heck with it and put it off until fall. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ihave been reading the blogs on Sharkhide and i am going to do this to my toons..My question is ..When doing this does everyone do the inside of the toons ? Ihave a 2575 r with 3 of them...Just curious about this ,have not seen anything pertainig to the inside...Thanks :unsure:

Ihave been reading the blogs on Sharkhide and i am going to do this to my toons..My question is ..When doing this does everyone do the inside of the toons ? Ihave a 2575 r with 3 of them...Just curious about this ,have not seen anything pertainig to the inside...Thanks :unsure:
Anything you want protected. I was going to do both of the pontoons inside and out. If you have time to look up some forums it seems to be about 50/50 with people doing Sharkhide.

We are getting ready to take delivery of our new Bennington pontoon and I am curious if Bennington recommends the use of SharkHide on the pontoons and other metal covered areas?

Also - what is the best way of appling the SharkHide with a "Bunk" style trailer? I don't think I will be able to reach the lower bottom side and I wouldn't have anyway other way of supporting the pontoon out of the water.

Any help from Bennington regarding the use of this product would be helpful and recommendations for appling while on the trailer would be great. Can' wait to get our new Toon!!

We are getting ready to take delivery of our new Bennington pontoon and I am curious if Bennington recommends the use of SharkHide on the pontoons and other metal covered areas?

Also - what is the best way of appling the SharkHide with a "Bunk" style trailer? I don't think I will be able to reach the lower bottom side and I wouldn't have anyway other way of supporting the pontoon out of the water.

Any help from Bennington regarding the use of this product would be helpful and recommendations for appling while on the trailer would be great. Can' wait to get our new Toon!!
I just took my last rig to a Sharkhyde dealer and they jack the whole toon off the trailer and put 2 coats on by hand, some spray it on also either way is good comes down to preference. Will do the same with my new rig once I get things polished.

Looks like the closest Sharkhide dealer to me is in Denison Tx (Texoma Premier Boat Center). Anyone have any experience with them?

For now I have decided to leave my TOONS chemical free. I just don't see any easy method of keeping them bright and shiney. Since we trailer in and out each time we use it, they don't get the tea colored stains etc. Etching them with acid just does not appeal to me. Just and observation.

Back