SHARKHIDE

RodEarl74

Reaction score
Purchased my Benny a few months ago and have been extremely happy with everything except the toons. After you throw it in the water they just look like crap. Took it to my detail guy for a nice wash and to treat the toons.

Let me just say that it looks far better than it did before. Haven't put it in the water yet but I understand that it lasts a few seasons.

Take a look and let me know what you all have done to treat your toons!

BENNY FROM THE WATER 1.jpg sharhide 2.jpg sharkhide 1.jpg

Nice ride!! We are on our second season with the Sharkhide. Still look new above the water line. Below waterline, not bad, but not as good as above, but still a little easier to clean scum off.

Semp hit it in the nail. Sharkhide protects well above the waterline but NOT below. My only complaint. I've had 11 seasons to form that opinion.....

I guess this post could go under regrets. I also have a new Bennington that I love except the toons. My dealer talked me out of the Shark Hide and I'm very disappointed that I didn't listen to myself. I will be doing the same, cleaning the toons next time out of the water and applying Shark Hide.

Fourth season on sharkhide (trailer queen) and just starting to show signs for another application.

I get mine reapplied every other season . Well worth it .

I had Sharkhide on my first Benny and I do not have it on the current one and cannot see any difference above or below the water line. According to both dealers, it helps for a short time (weeks maybe) then it's gone. I'm not sure if that's true or not but so far for me it is.

I'm much more intrigued by Regency's powder coating of the toons but the rest of the issues with that brand kept me away.

Last edited:
My dealer also talked me out of it but I applied it myself shortly after delivery. No big deal, just time-consuming. Mine has been on 2 years and the tubes still look great. I just have a couple of small touch-up areas from rubbing the fender/dock/guides. I'll tackle that in the fall. The stuff does work but it's not invincible.

I remain impressed with the Sharkhide as I enter the tail end of my second season with it. So far, based on my experience, I wouldn’t buy a new pontoon that didn’t have it already applied.

Nice ride!! We are on our second season with the Sharkhide. Still look new above the water line. Below waterline, not bad, but not as good as above, but still a little easier to clean scum off.
Thanks. We sure like her! Do you keep your boat in the water all season?

We keep our boat in at most 6 days at a time. Normally we take 3-4 day trips and put it either on the beach or a slip overnight.

What are you using to clean the scum line off?

I had Sharkhide on my first Benny and I do not have it on the current one and cannot see any difference above or below the water line. According to both dealers, it helps for a short time (weeks maybe) then it's gone. I'm not sure if that's true or not but so far for me it is.

I'm much more intrigued by Regency's powder coating of the toons but the rest of the issues with that brand kept me away.
We actually had a Regency in order but backed out at the 11th hour due to all the issues they have.

We also learned that their logs are not powder coated as advertised. They’re powder painted. We boated with someone who had one and he said it’s peeling off in chunks.

We also learned that their logs are not powder coated as advertised. They’re powder painted. We boated with someone who had one and he said it’s peeling off in chunks.

Yeah, I pictured those logs getting maybe 1 tiny scratch then the whole thing coming off like a giant snake shedding it's skin. I imagined someone chasing me with it on the end of their boat pole saying "hey, you dropped this."

Yeah, I pictured those logs getting maybe 1 tiny scratch then the whole thing coming off like a giant snake shedding it's skin. I imagined someone chasing me with it on the end of their boat pole saying "hey, you dropped this."
Those black logs sure look good though!

While my boat always sits on the trailer when not being used, I use Boat Candy Speed Gloss to clean the tubes. It makes the tubes a bit glossier with the Sharkhide and the small amount of wax in it makes cleaning that much easier. Takes any waterspots or scum right off.

I am amazed at how many posts I’ve seen over last couple years about “dealer talked me out of I”. I’m amazed a dealer would not “push” this. I NEVER buy protection BS for my cars, but I bought this “cheap” upgrade in a heartbeat. I know it only lasts so long, but my toons “almost” look as good as day 1. Easy $$ for the smart dealer......

The problem with my dealer (Sales Manager) was I knew more about the boats then he did. Standard items, options, you name it. When it came to Sharkhide and I enquired about it, he said it was a waste of money, they never order boats with it and "nobody out here uses it." I did quite a bit of research about Sharkhide while waiting for my boat and actually ordered several cans before the boat came in. I'm very glad I put it on.

I was just on the boat builder. I may be mistaken but I thought the Sharkhide was a $300.00 option. Now it's $500.00. Is it still worth it for $500.00?

It depends how much you care about how your toons look and how much work you want to do keeping them clean. Even with mine being in a slip all season wipes off very easy. But I "try" to wipe them every week .

If you don't want to pay Bennington to Sharkhide your Toons order it on the Web site and do it yourself. It's easier that washing windows, then enjoy.

Back