SHARKHIDE

Purchased my Benny a few months ago and have been extremely happy with everything except the toons. After you throw it in the water they just look like crap. Took it to my detail guy for a nice wash and to treat the toons.

Let me just say that it looks far better than it did before. Haven't put it in the water yet but I understand that it lasts a few seasons.

Take a look and let me know what you all have done to treat your toons!

View attachment 22995 View attachment 22997 View attachment 22998
I take it that your dealer acid washed your toons. My dealer did that and they now look much worse than before. They also managed to take the finish off of my anodized trim and stain my flooring. To other members out there considering an acid wash, just be aware that a poor job could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Ask me how I know... :(

It depends how much you care about how your toons look and how much work you want to do keeping them clean. Even with mine being in a slip all season wipes off very easy. But I "try" to wipe them every week .
When you wipe them what product are you using?

I take it that your dealer acid washed your toons. My dealer did that and they now look much worse than before. They also managed to take the finish off of my anodized trim and stain my flooring. To other members out there considering an acid wash, just be aware that a poor job could cost you tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Ask me how I know... :(
I'm not sure if my Dealer treated them at all. They looked okay when I took delivery. After one trip in the water it looked like crap!

I bought some pontoon treatment that is a bunch of junk!! Made them look even worse. Took it to a detail shop who specializes in polishing and treating toons!

They look great so far. Launching tomorrow and the boat will be in the water for a week. Will let you know how it holds up

**UPDATE**

Just got back from a week long trip to Lake Havasu. Had the boat in the Marina at our Camp ground for 6 days.

Let me just say the Sharkhide held up GREAT! Only issue we had was a little rubbed off from where we tied up to another boat. The fender rubbed a little off where it hit the toon! I guess that's why I need to buy a can just to touch up those areas.

Couldn't be happier.

My dealer also talked me out of it but I applied it myself shortly after delivery. No big deal, just time-consuming. Mine has been on 2 years and the tubes still look great. I just have a couple of small touch-up areas from rubbing the fender/dock/guides. I'll tackle that in the fall. The stuff does work but it's not invincible.
Do you apply the shark hide just to the area's that are worn? I purchased with shark hide and it seems where the fender are and some light scratching in just the shark hide in general, happen when things touch it. Tube, wakeboard, skis....etc.

I had mine done at the factory when it was ordered . I have it reapplied every other year by my dealer . The do every section of all 3 tubes

Reactions: EJB
I had mine done at the factory when it was ordered . I have it reapplied every other year by my dealer . The do every section of all 3 tubes
If you do not mind me asking what do they charge for a re-apply on a tri toon?

Help how do you get it off? I leave in water all the time and were bumpers rub it looks like hell. The dealer installed it for free gee thanks for nothing

Help how do you get it off? I leave in water all the time and were bumpers rub it looks like hell. The dealer installed it for free gee thanks for nothing

lacquer thinner to remove. You think it looks bad at bumpers, imagine entire toons looking like hell ..... I’d thank my dealer for installing for free. I’d try to polish up those areas slightly and reapply, then move bumpers up a little if possible so they don’t rub, OR, get some clear car protection vinyl and apply in those areas.

Last edited:
My sharkhide has rubbed off in the areas where the fender has rubbed against the dock and toon. Still looks better than untreated toons

I have called 3 dealers and can’t find one in the kentucky lake area that apply Sharkhide.
I have a couple left to call but am not optimistic. A boat detailing guy priced me 1800 to acid wash and then apply Sharkhide. I about dropped the phone.

Never BITCH about FREE ! Remove Sharkhide and do it yourself. You might appreciate the word FREE a lot more.

Are the polished or natural? I looked into the ceramic coating and couldn’t find anything out about it. I’ll be interested as to how it turns out and holds up. I know there are some pretty amazing ceramic coatings in the automotive world though.

I would be interested in hearing how well the ceramic coating holds and if it impacts the performance of your boat. Thanks

Are the polished or natural? I looked into the ceramic coating and couldn’t find anything out about it. I’ll be interested as to how it turns out and holds up. I know there are some pretty amazing ceramic coatings in the automotive world though.

mine are natural. this is what my local guy uses. says it will wear off if beached repeatedly.

D860E057-2D98-40E7-AA1D-1A9259C879E3_zpspytjzvqf.jpg

78C0DB15-DEDB-46E1-989A-FAF648B57485_zps6mtsulbb.jpg

Last edited:
Looks impressive. I will look at it a little more and maybe contact the manufacturer. The YouTube video of it on the pipe left in the water makes it look like it will clean the toons every time you take off and go down the lake.

Back