SHARKHIDE

found out they put shark hide on the boats that are going to be delivered in the winter to protect them from salt spray from the roads

Purchased my Benny a few months ago and have been extremely happy with everything except the toons. After you throw it in the water they just look like crap. Took it to my detail guy for a nice wash and to treat the toons.

Let me just say that it looks far better than it did before. Haven't put it in the water yet but I understand that it lasts a few seasons.

Take a look and let me know what you all have done to treat your toons!

View attachment 22995 View attachment 22997 View attachment 22998
Where did you get the load guides for your trailer? I just have guides on the inside of the toons and I think these would work better.

Where did you get the load guides for your trailer? I just have guides on the inside of the toons and I think these would work better.
They came with the trailer when we bought to boat! At first I asked the dealer if they I needed them, have never used them before. He told me it would help landing the trailer. He wasn't wrong. More than anything it helps keep the toons aligned with the bunks

My trailer came with the outside pole guides. I added the inside guides. Between the two, I think the inside guides help the best. The outside guides are better than nothing but they won't prevent the boat from getting sideways on the trailer should you come in crooked or if it's windy. The inside guides are like tracks as long as you're at the proper water depth (easy with a little practice). Once the tubes get between the guides the boat automatically aligns itself making retrieving stress-free.

My trailer came with the outside pole guides. I added the inside guides. Between the two, I think the inside guides help the best. The outside guides are better than nothing but they won't prevent the boat from getting sideways on the trailer should you come in crooked or if it's windy. The inside guides are like tracks as long as you're at the proper water depth (easy with a little practice). Once the tubes get between the guides the boat automatically aligns itself making retrieving stress-free.
We have a long term camping site at Crazy Horse and always use their launch ramp. Their marina is pretty protected from the elements and traditional wind that comes out of the south east. Have never had a problem landing the boat. That being said I'm not opposed to anything that makes it easier. I'll have to look into those inside guides.

Never BITCH about FREE ! Remove Sharkhide and do it yourself. You might appreciate the word FREE a lot more.
Have two toons for 25 years the both sat in the water all summer all I did to them is pressure wash them off in the fall . Now I have a toon with rub marks that stick out like a sore thumb natural is the way to go .If you need a shiny hull get a fiberglass one.

Sharkhide does not make your toons shine .

I had mine done at the factory when it was ordered . I have it reapplied every other year by my dealer . The do every section of all 3 tubes

Jack, how does your dealer lift the boat off the trailer to access all areas?

My dealer uses straps .Mine is being redone in the spring

It is protectant ,they do not claim to be a polish .

Guys its about time to do something to my toons, My 4 year Polish is starting to show its age. I love the look but don't have the gumption to do the chrome look. What different options are there, I know acid wash turns them a white. what can I use to get them more original clean aluminum looking?

mine are natural. this is what my local guy uses. says it will wear off if beached repeatedly.

D860E057-2D98-40E7-AA1D-1A9259C879E3_zpspytjzvqf.jpg

78C0DB15-DEDB-46E1-989A-FAF648B57485_zps6mtsulbb.jpg

I'm curious how this ended up. We are in the process of ordering our first Bennington and keeping the toons looking good has been my only concern. Thanks.

Guys its about time to do something to my toons, My 4 year Polish is starting to show its age. I love the look but don't have the gumption to do the chrome look. What different options are there, I know acid wash turns them a white. what can I use to get them more original clean aluminum looking?
Try Eagle 1 Mag Wheel Cleaner. It's not as hash as an Acid wash. Get it at your local Automotive store

Thanks Illinois Ave

Jack, how does your dealer lift the boat off the trailer to access all areas?
They use a forklift here in North Carolina. In Virginia at my old marina they picked it up by the deck on 3 sides to get full access to all 3 toons.

I'm curious how this ended up. We are in the process of ordering our first Bennington and keeping the toons looking good has been my only concern. Thanks.
You might want to consider a clear Vantage wrap:

https://www.vantageprotectionproducts.com/copy-of-vantage-protection-systems

Saw it at my dealer and you couldn't tell there was anything applied. Another benefit is that it can be removed if desired. Finally, if the film is damaged somehow, the damaged area can be cut out and replaced according to my dealer. As part of the settlement with my dealer for a botched acid wash, they'll be installing a black film on mine.

Back