Ship to Shore Radio

Sanity3

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help I am getting closer to ordering my 2375R, May be this week. I have a couple questions. Where is the best place to mount a S to S radio so it's not in the way. Any opinion on quick clips versa button snaps.

I've always been very fond of the hand-held units. I like Uniden's stuff, just keep it charged and toss it into one of the far too many drink holders. Range is limited but no need to mount any hardware, particularly an antenna.

I have no idea where to mount it.

Whats the other question? :)

My new 2014 Bennington 2375 RL has the quick clips.  All my previous boats had snaps.  The clips are easier to attach and remove.  I don't have experience trailering yet, but the button snaps may be a little more reliable when trailering since they are more tightly fixed.

My bad on the "other question". I never had a S TO S radio mounted in my boat so not aware you were not using quick Clips to mount it.... Hey, maybe you could just snap the radio under the helm out of the way.

Hand held radio,the cover that comes with your boat is a mooring cover and is not meant for trailering 

My dealer says 30MPH at most and only for short rides. The cover isn't made to be on the road. Quick snaps or no the material will rip.

My dealer did tell us to  take off the cover when trailering, and there have been a few horror stories posted here 

Check out my gallery there is a picture of how I mounted the antenna and radio.

No idea on the S2S since I could pretty much swim to a shore from any part of the little lake. As for snaps vs clips, depends on your situation. Some people who have their boats on a lift find the clips far easier to use. Although some have said they break and are a pain to try and replace. I personally feel snaps are far more secure. Also you should never trailer your boat with the playpen cover on, regardless of speed(well if you were driving 10km/h you would be fine) . This is partially due to if a pole came out of it spot it could rip, cause excessive "flapping" of the cover which could cause damage to your seats, and also the extra stress on the snaps themselves could cause a rip at the snaps, or in my case, the many low hanging trees on the residential route could slice open a nice tight cover.

No idea on the S2S since I could pretty much swim to a shore from any part of the little lake. As for snaps vs clips, depends on your situation. Some people who have their boats on a lift find the clips far easier to use. Although some have said they break and are a pain to try and replace. I personally feel snaps are far more secure. Also you should never trailer your boat with the playpen cover on, regardless of speed(well if you were driving 10km/h you would be fine) . This is partially due to if a pole came out of it spot it could rip, cause excessive "flapping" of the cover which could cause damage to your seats, and also the extra stress on the snaps themselves could cause a rip at the snaps, or in my case, the many low hanging trees on the residential route could slice open a nice tight cover.
I smell an Allstate "Mayhem" commercial in the making...

Mayhem is laying on the mooring cover of a Benny doing 80 down the freeway, mumbling something about a pole slipping and the cover coming off.  Mayhem kicks a pole and the cover rips off and Mayhem and the mooring cover fly off the back of the boat onto a car tailgating closely behind, covering the windshield and going out of control off a bridge into the lake...

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful script. And minus the car into the lake, I'm sure this has happened a time or two.

a good vhf radio is nice, think of it's uses, ..weather, local fishing or dining chat. nice to be able to tell sea tow where you are with a gps enabled  vhf. when you call them it transmits your lat long right to them. in 2014 a cell phone is indispensable. with all this in mind I opted for a 6w transmit hand help vhf. The one IMHO that is the best value and the has all the functions for safe boating is the standard horizon floating vhf/gps handheld 2-6watt radio. lists for about $250 but can be had for about $180 free shipping no tax. great piece of equiptment , remember what you use it for before you start drilling holes in your boat. by the way I mention that it floats. in the unlikely event of a sinking or capsized boat when it is in the water floting it sends out a distress signal with your lat and long to help with a rescue.

I just went through the StoS issue my self. On my previous boat I had a StoS radio mounted under my stereo on the helm. I also had a nice antenna mounted along side one of my bimini poles. It was nice to have it hard mounted. The advantage was that it was always on the boat and no issue with power--had a double battery set up-- and with the antenna it would reach further than a handheld. The main reason was in case I had to hail vessel assist, and as redundancy for my cell phone and as additional safety equipment. I never did use it or need it and it seems like my phone works in most places.

Hence, when I got the Bennington, I decided to get a handheld unit. I did research and bought and paid more for a better unit. I can't remember which unit I bought, but it floats and has most of the bells and whistles. I just make sure it is charged before we go out and keep a charger on board-- just in case. I have a satchel that I take on board every time I take the boat out and it is SOP that the radio is in the outside pocket. My satchel is placed under the helm, within easy reach and yet out of sight. I don't want the kids or anyone messing with my bag due to its contents.

Cheers, Steve

I put a fixed mount Standard Horizon with GPS and an 8' antenna on my boat. With the big distances and canyon walls at Lake Powell, it seemed like a must have. I've only used it for weather so far, but it has also been somewhat entertaining to turn on to channel 16 when the weather kicks up and hear inexperienced houseboat renters freaking out. I have pics of my install in my gallery. 

That would be some fun chatter to listen to.

I use ham radio for everything a great form of communication and now with the code (CW) being eliminated no one has an excuse not to be licensed.

It is not S to S but there is actually a HF frequency reserved for maritime mobiles which is monitored world wide 24/7

Best of all it is a great hobby and inexpensive to get into.

Costs below are new, used equipment is readily available at significantly lower prices.

VV-898-1-l.jpg

zys-ft-857d.jpg

VHF - UHF                                                                HF 

150.00                                                                  799.00

Plenty of frequencies to enjoy fellow boaters , friends and family members on.

Great for those who purchase a lake cottage off the grid with no cell service as well.

21stCenturyLogo.jpg

I use ham radio for everything a great form of communication and now with the code (CW) being eliminated no one has an excuse not to be licensed.

It is not S to S but there is actually a HF frequency reserved for maritime mobiles which is monitored world wide 24/7

Best of all it is a great hobby and inexpensive to get into.
Ok...interest piqued. Do go on...

We spend a lot of time on Lake Michigan, and consider the VHF radio to be the number 3 thing we check before untying. Life jackets #1. Visual Distress Signals #2. Radio #3. Numbers 1 and 2, if forgotten or improper for the vessel, get you big fines. But in my opinion, number 3 is just as important as the other 2 and far more likely to be used/needed. Truly.

Catastrophic sinkings are so very, very rare. But fires on board, health emergencies, etc., are not.  

Most boaters are inland boaters, and VHF radios are only useful if they're widely used where you boat. On a 1,000 acre inland lake, they're useless. No one is using one, so no one is listening. But on big water, never in a million years would I be out there without one. I have 2 handhelds...just in case one craps out.

The advantage of Ham Radio is it is a great communication source for your entire family,no matter where you are car, boat , home or while walking.

The cell phone is great but many of us live in areas where the cell towers do not give us optimum coverage.

Ham Radio can be kept as basic as you like or like any hobby taken to the limit. 

Worldwide communication is enjoyable, imagine talking to a maritime mobile (sail boat ) off the coast of Madagascar on the Indian Ocean with just 10 watts of power.

Ham radio spreads all interests with RV enthusiasts using the hobby for routine communication and aeronautical mobiles ( airline pilots and private pilots) talking to you as you drive along in your car or enjoy your boat.

Through the use of FM Repeates handhelds are quite common and can give you reliable communication over hundreds even thousands of miles.

A local ham club will give you free assistance acquiring your license and are a wealth of free information and assistance.

If we were all Ham Operators we could have our own Bennington Net on a nightly, weekly schedule enjoying conversation the same as over phone but with a hundred at a time!

Best of all it is FUN FUN FUN

Some compare it to CB Radio but on a more reliable , upscale forum.

A Ham License is FREE and lasts 10 years.

p1000251a.jpg

Some enthusiasts have elaborate stations while others use modest equipment with the same results.

Here is a small inexpensive FM Transceiver which with some Linked Repeater Systems can give you worldwide communications

A great hobby that is used worldwide for emergency communications

If the grid is down Ham Radio is your only alternative.

yaesu-vx-8r.jpg

world.gif

Back