Shouldn't be embarrassed to ask for help

GWLK

Reaction score
We made two rescues on our lake today. First one was two guys hanging onto a sinking jet ski. The second was a disabled boat that was drifting towards a rocky shoreline. NEITHER GROUP OF PEOPLE ASKED FOR HELP. I am not sure why they didn't ask for help. Are people generally to embarrassed to ask for help? Please don't be. Of all walks of people, I believe people in the boating community are more than willing to offer a helping hand. Both situations could have resulted in unnecessary consequences.

Oh yeah if a fellow boater needs help I'll help. You never know when/if you will need it. We have put up the changing room enclosure that sits on top of our engine compartment so my wife could change into a dry bathing suit. People have stopped thinking we had engine trouble......

The last tow I gave a few weeks ago, I noticed two guys trying to paddle a bowrider into a pretty stiff wind about a mile off shore. There were other boats around them and they didn't signal to me, but I could see they'd never make it, particularly in those conditions. When I pulled up, the two exhausted guys looked pretty relieved and so did the rest of their group.

Back