Shrink wrap and winter weather

ugleeual

Reaction score
anyone have experience with getting a pontoon professional shrink wrapped over the winter season? Specifically how it held up with light snow... northern Virginia area or similar climate. I've read the installer builds an internal frame and then wraps... allowing for more runoff...

Around here (Southern Pa.), unless you have indoor storage, that's pretty much what everyone does. Also, that's how they come from the factory and I'm sure there's plenty of them sitting outside over the winter at the factory. If you can't do indoor storage, I'd definitely shrink wrap it.

Yup he builds an internal frame and wraps it. Very sturdy and durable. Our guy charges $7.00 per foot which is cheap!

Yup he builds an internal frame and wraps it. Very sturdy and durable. Our guy charges $7.00 per foot which is cheap!

Dang, that is cheap! We are around $13.50 per foot at the one Marina at the river. Not sure what my dealer charges, as I pay them $500 for indoor storage Nov-March. They almost always pull us out last day of October and in first week, if not the first day, of April.

No issues with shrink wrap for me... I made sure to remove as much as possible including seat cushions, bow/stern gate seats and the 2 captains chairs. I put 2 large damp rid tubs on the deck along with multiple containers of moth balls and a crap load of drier sheets spread all over the place.

I did have my shrink guy go a little crazy on coverage to make sure but all was perfect when I cut her open this spring.

You only really need to knock snow off after a heavy snow fall - typically the snow will sheet off after just a little sunshine.

We shrink wrap and store outdoors on our property - northern Michigan. $10 per foot. They do build a tall/steep peaked frame that the wrap goes over, (as well as the motor). We use the damp-rid tubs too as well as scatter dryer sheets and moth balls around and under the seats and in the Bimini if I don't get around to taking it off first. The frame does go under the wrap.

anyone have experience with getting a pontoon professional shrink wrapped over the winter season? Specifically how it held up with light snow... northern Virginia area or similar climate. I've read the installer builds an internal frame and then wraps... allowing for more runoff...

I am on the Eastern Shore on Trippe Creek. Last year, I had my new Bennington 21 wrapped and it worked great. They did put up their own 2X4s inside. We had snow and lots of rain. I cut everything off in March and have all was just fine. It certainly does save wear and tear on the cover.

I'm in northern VA and the shrink wrap works great. Our marina uses 2x4s as posts to support the wrap and it doesn't require making an entire frame.

I did say frame but it is really just 3 - 2 by 4 posts with strapping to hold them and make the support for the wrap. Our boat is a 22 footer.

Good info thanks... I'm going to give it a try. I hear $10-12 a foot is about average around NoVA.

$15/foot seems to be the rate of the guy at lake Anna... anyone have experience with a Sterling aero marine or another company based near lake Anna?

$15/foot seems to be the rate of the guy at lake Anna... anyone have experience with a Sterling aero marine or another company based near lake Anna?
Daril (Big Kahuna) should know. He used to boat there.

Used to keep my boat at Sturgeon Creek Marina right there on Rt. 208. They have an excellent service department and they used to charge $10 a foot for shrink wrap before we moved almost 3 years ago.......

Back