Shrink wrap or not?

Renegade34

Reaction score
In a few weeks I’m making the trip to get the new Benny. It’s about a 1000 mile trek and am wondering what you guys think is the best method to transport it. Originally I was going to have it shrink wrapped but after doing some reading it sounds like half the time the wrap rips open and has to be removed anyways. Now I’m leaning towards just leaving it open. What do you guys think?

About the only time I see them shrink wrapped is when they arrive at the dealer. It could really turn into a hassle if the wrap did start to rip open on the highway. My suggestion would be leave it open and hit the road. I'm sure other members that have done it will chime in. Let us know . Good Luck either way !

Whenever I've trailered our boat a long distance I've taken the playpen cover off and put the Bimini down and prayed for sunny weather. I was lucky over the years.......

If it were me with no carpet, remove anything held in with Velcro, good coating of wax on nose, OR DO WHAT US CAR SHOW NUTS DO, cover front in painters tape. Protects from bugs and stone chips!!

What’s the specs??

Post up some progress pics!

Thanks for the replies! It’s a 23ssbxp with single canopy. It has the teak look vinyl flooring. SPS hull with a 150hp Merc 4 stroke.
With the last few boats I’ve used the mooring cover (for short trips) with front modifications to the cover to secure it while trailering. My main reason for covering is to keep the bug splatter off of the seats. It will be the third week of April when I pick up the boat in Michigan and back home to Canada. I’m thinking the bugs will be minimal at that time of year. They are up here anyways.
Another potential issue with the wrap is there is a chance that they might make me remove it at the Canadian border for inspection anyways. If I won’t have 2 days of scrubbing bugs from the seats then I might be better off saving the money and just hope I hit good weather.

Not sure what it costs to shrinkwrap, but another option could be to purchase a semi-custom trailerable cover then you'd have it for future use. I trailered my boat all last summer and with a good coat of wax on the front the cleaning of the bugs weren't that bad. I didn't have many bugs on the seats and the few I did have came off pretty easy. I'm looking at purchasing a semi-custom myself for those long trips with the boat. Check out the link below really good reviews.
https://www.coveranything.com/classic-pontoon-covers-24ft-length-104in-width/

I’d go without a cover and remove everything that is loose... shrink wrap sounds like a good idea until it starts coming off while on the road...

I guess if I save the $300 for shrink wrapping, and it takes me 5 hours to clean it up from not being covered, it works out to $60/hr for my services :)

Not sure what it costs to shrinkwrap, but another option could be to purchase a semi-custom trailerable cover then you'd have it for future use. I trailered my boat all last summer and with a good coat of wax on the front the cleaning of the bugs weren't that bad. I didn't have many bugs on the seats and the few I did have came off pretty easy. I'm looking at purchasing a semi-custom myself for those long trips with the boat. Check out the link below really good reviews.
https://www.coveranything.com/classic-pontoon-covers-24ft-length-104in-width/

Thanks. These covers look like a pretty good deal. I just worry that if it gets flapping in the wind that it could cause damage. If it was me installing it initially I wouldn’t be as worried but I’m having it picked up and shipped for the first leg of the journey so the dealer would have to install it. Then I’d have to worry if the person doing gives a rip or installs it correctly.
It does seem like a no brainer between shrink wrap or the semi custom though as they are the same price and reusable.

Im doing the same thing 0nly my travel milage is 1400. the dealer is going to wrap it at no additional charge. i wonder if it starts to come off on the trip if i can easily remove it and continue unwrapped

Also keep in mind that if you have Sharkhide... On that cheaper cover in the link, the cover straps against the toons will rub the Sharkhide off in transit and the toons will oxidize very quickly in those spots. If retreated immediately after the trip, hopefully would be okay (also depending on travel weather conditions?) but I personally would be afraid of the oxidation stripes that could result.

Back