Side steering a pontoon, anyone ever tried something like this?

Following this thread and looking forward to hearing how the install goes. We live in West Michigan on Lake Macatawa which is minutes from Lake Michigan. It was blowing 20 a few days ago which made docking to pick-up friends a comical (and stressful) situation. The new Benny is a Q28 (around 5k pounds) so we're likely going to order the 360 unit with bow bow and stern thrusters.

Attachments

• 20210530_171143.jpg
    20210530_171143.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210530_170605.jpg
    20210530_170605.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 30
Following this thread and looking forward to hearing how the install goes. We live in West Michigan on Lake Macatawa which is minutes from Lake Michigan. It was blowing 20 a few days ago which made docking to pick-up friends a comical (and stressful) situation. The new Benny is a Q28 (around 5k pounds) so we're likely going to order the 360 unit with bow bow and stern thrusters.
Jeremy, welcome to the Bennington family and thanks for posting some pics. She's a beauty! Please let us know how it works out for you as well. You're located in a very nice area for boating and your Q28 should be able to handle some pretty rough conditions that might well come your way.

I have the tall guide poles at rear of trailer. With them no problems loading on trailer. At under 15 mph no matter the wind direction. As you may know leaving the carpeted bunks only about a third wet gives more control in maintaining alignment once you have the boat started on then powering on to trailer.
Getting in the slip can be problematic if wind is above about 12 mph. That is so even with tops down.
My thought is that in my case the boat is propped for maximum speed. This means I have too much thrust at low speed making it too easy to over correct. Also makes the boat run too fast, 2.5 mph + wind speed at lowest throttle setting.
I have a 2019 20’ tritoon SF with Mercury command thrust. Set up to run 35 mph with light load.
Also have noticed the pontoons steer more effectively into the slips than tritoons. I believe this is due to much less drag on low speed maneuvering. Another factor on steering ease/turning response is how flat the boat sits in the water.
I am at Lake Havasu and haven’t noticed a boat with the accessory thruster you mentioned. Likely there is one here somewhere.
Dan

I have the tall guide poles at rear of trailer. With them no problems loading on trailer. At under 15 mph no matter the wind direction. As you may know leaving the carpeted bunks only about a third wet gives more control in maintaining alignment once you have the boat started on then powering on to trailer.
Getting in the slip can be problematic if wind is above about 12 mph. That is so even with tops down.
My thought is that in my case the boat is propped for maximum speed. This means I have too much thrust at low speed making it too easy to over correct. Also makes the boat run too fast, 2.5 mph + wind speed at lowest throttle setting.
I have a 2019 20’ tritoon SF with Mercury command thrust. Set up to run 35 mph with light load.
Also have noticed the pontoons steer more effectively into the slips than tritoons. I believe this is due to much less drag on low speed maneuvering. Another factor on steering ease/turning response is how flat the boat sits in the water.
I am at Lake Havasu and haven’t noticed a boat with the accessory thruster you mentioned. Likely there is one here somewhere.
Dan
Following - Right! The wind at Havasu can get a bit crazy. I believe a combination of guide poles and toon guides is the best answer. The newer Benny's come with a special button that reduced the power delivered to the engine for docking so the throttle is less sensitive. The Thrusters look amazing, but will not work with trailering if put on the Bow also - which seems would be needed in the winds we get - not sure just a Stern would help much when windy.

The newer Benny's come with a special button that reduced the power delivered to the engine for docking so the throttle is less sensitive.
If I understand what you are describing in the line above that is not something that comes with new Bennington’s from Bennington. Do you have a Mercury or Mercury Verado?

Mercury has a thrust control “docking” button bundled with their digital controls on their Mercury throttle system. It’s a great feature! I have grown to really like it. However, I do believe that is something they’ve had for awhile (mines a 2017 for instance), and it is not something that is part of a Bennington. I don’t believe the other motor manufacturers offer this feature unless some have started doing so sicne 2017.

Anyway, someone gets a Mercury, they’ll have it on their larger HP set ups. If not (lots of Yamaha owners around here), I believe they’re out of luck on that.

Last edited:
If I understand what you are describing in the line above that is not something that comes with new Bennington’s from Bennington. Do you have a Mercury or Mercury Verado?

Mercury has a thrust control “docking” button bundled with their digital controls on their Mercury throttle system. It’s a great feature! I have grown to really like it. However, I do believe that is something they’ve had for awhile (mines a 2017 for instance), and it is not something that is part of a Bennington. I don’t believe the other motor manufacturers offer this feature unless some have started doing so sicne 2017.

Anyway, someone gets a Mercury. If not (lots of Yamaha owners around here), I believe they’re out of luck on that.
Thank you for the clarification - Yes, a Mercury Outboard. Wow, such an amazing feature, can't believe they all don't have that!! As always, the advice and support is AWESOME here.

Thank you for the clarification - Yes, a Mercury Outboard. Wow, such an amazing feature, can't believe they all don't have that!! As always, the advice and support is AWESOME here.
I totally agree! Surprising everyone hasn’t jumped on that band wagon. I have wondered if Mercury has it trademarked so broadly no one else can pull it off (only explanation I can think of given how nice that feature is on a boat).

Well Gang,
OP here. We've been in Havasu for over 7 years now and have done quite a bit of boating with two different boats. Watched several people over the years dock their boats, *attempt* to put them on a trailer, attempt to park in places or docks that are physically too small for their boats, pull next to other boats at too high of an approach speed, ALL IN VARIABLE winds and waves. It's actually comical to my wife and I as we watch these folks with rather expensive boats, bang into each other, bang into the docks, get all crossed up trying to put it back onto the trailer and a lot more, due to no real common sense of what they're doing. The way the prevailing winds/gusts can effect launching and receiving, docking, crowded situations, inconsiderate other boaters, can all affect the ease or pain, at which a boat is placed back on a trailer.

Some of you have better trailer/boat hook-up conditions, than others.

I don't care WHAT kind of trailer guides you have, the *Goal posts* (common on many trailers)(I had them but removed them) , inboard guides, (like I have now) etc., no matter how much PRACTICE one has under their belts, the wind, gusts, wakes from idiots that come into a docking area or trailering launching and receiving area too fast, can cause INSTANT havoc with a larger pontoon/tri-toon like ours very easily. We are not new at this stuff. Been boating for over 30+ years and pretty much know what's needed for docking and retrieving a boat back onto a trailer. We (either she or I) get the boat perfectly aligned for placing it back on the trailer, are only a few feet away and, wooooosh, here's a gust of wind from nowhere and, all of a sudden, you're 30 degrees out of kilter for trying to place the boat when you WERE perfect. No amount of PRACTICE can compensate for that kind of condition. Boat ramps are different all over the country.

THIS is when the ability to push that boat, completely sideways, at least at the rear, to re-align things at the last second could be very, very helpful. And of course, it would be very helpful in docking too. This is why I started this thread, to see what, if anything folks have done to compensate for various pain in the bu... situations. The Side-shift system seems to be a pretty good answer for many of us that can have potential issues due to wind, wakes, combo of both, in docking and trailering. I might just look into the rear part of the Side shift.

"As luck would have it yes we do you have a drop program. Very nice benefit"
Wow, never thought I'd hear of the "DROP" program on a Bennington boating forum. I'm retired San Diego Fire and we "HAD" the DROP program for several years. It, without a doubt, was a true benefit for both the city and the employees. But, as usual, the city thought., after a few years, it was costing them more than it was worth and, the public viewed the DROP program as a DOUBLE DIP situation. No matter how much one explained to a citizen what the DROP program was, and how beneficial it was, it was always viewed as an extensive cost for the tax payer. So, the city DROPPED the DROP program a few years ago. Sure helped in my situation.
Scott

Wonder if a bow mounted camera would help getting into a slip.
I commented previously relative to side thrusters on steering issues into a slip. Loading into trailer not usually an issue as we have more than one loading ramp orientation to help with wind direction issues.
For me, with only a 20’ tritoon 115, the bow up situation along with wind speed above 12 mph makes controlling the bow orientation difficult. I can’t see the slip ends.
The slips are narrow, perhaps only 9-10”surplus on each side. I’ve thought about putting up a removable bike flag on each side of the slip as a guide. Currently the marina won’t allow us to alter the slips.
Dan

Well Gang,
OP here. We've been in Havasu for over 7 years now and have done quite a bit of boating with two different boats. Watched several people over the years dock their boats, *attempt* to put them on a trailer, attempt to park in places or docks that are physically too small for their boats, pull next to other boats at too high of an approach speed, ALL IN VARIABLE winds and waves. It's actually comical to my wife and I as we watch these folks with rather expensive boats, bang into each other, bang into the docks, get all crossed up trying to put it back onto the trailer and a lot more, due to no real common sense of what they're doing. The way the prevailing winds/gusts can effect launching and receiving, docking, crowded situations, inconsiderate other boaters, can all affect the ease or pain, at which a boat is placed back on a trailer.

I don't care WHAT kind of trailer guides you have, the *Goal posts* (common on many trailers)(I had them but removed them) , inboard guides, (like I have now) etc., no matter how much PRACTICE one has under their belts, the wind, gusts, wakes from idiots that come into a docking area or trailering launching and receiving area too fast, can cause INSTANT havoc with a larger pontoon/tri-toon like ours very easily. We are not new at this stuff. Been boating for over 30+ years and pretty much know what's needed for docking and retrieving a boat back onto a trailer. We (either she or I) get the boat perfectly aligned for placing it back on the trailer, are only a few feet away and, wooooosh, here's a gust of wind from nowhere and, all of a sudden, you're 30 degrees out of kilter for trying to place the boat when you WERE perfect. No amount of PRACTICE can compensate for that kind of condition. Boat ramps are different all over the country.

THIS is when the ability to push that boat, completely sideways, at least at the rear, to re-align things at the last second could be very, very helpful. And of course, it would be very helpful in docking too. This is why I started this thread, to see what, if anything folks have done to compensate for various pain in the bu... situations. The Side-shift system seems to be a pretty good answer for many of us that can have potential issues due to wind, wakes, combo of both, in docking and trailering. I might just look into the rear part of the Side shift.

Wow, never thought I'd hear of the "DROP" program on a Bennington boating forum. I'm retired San Diego Fire and we "HAD" the DROP program for several years. It, without a doubt, was a true benefit for both the city and the employees. But, as usual, the city thought., after a few years, it was costing them more than it was worth and, the public viewed the DROP program as a DOUBLE DIP situation. No matter how much one explained to a citizen what the DROP program was, and how beneficial it was, it was always viewed as an extensive cost for the tax payer. So, the city DROPPED the DROP program a few years ago. Sure helped in my situation.
Scott
Hey Scott curious was your DROP program 3 or 5 yrs??? So you were able to participate in it before retiring?

Well Gang,

Scott
I had to weigh in on the "Drop" program. I retired from Arlington County Police, which has the program, and it is a great incentive to keep talent on board. Ours is only three years, but well worth it. It seems that some don't understand that once in Drop, the County was no longer obligated to contribute any more funds to my retirement. Only had to pay what I was already owed.

Has anyone installed one of these on a tritoon that uses a boat lift. My Shore Station lifts from under the deck using guiding poles parallel to the toons, so it seems that would interfere with the bowthruster. Would like to read a success story for someone on a windy lake with a boat lift. Thanks.

Has anyone installed one of these on a tritoon that uses a boat lift. My Shore Station lifts from under the deck using guiding poles parallel to the toons, so it seems that would interfere with the bowthruster. Would like to read a success story for someone on a windy lake with a boat lift. Thanks.
While I am pleased with the bow thruster, I have minimal use coming into my slip with the lift. I must bring it up before I enter to avoid hitting the bunkers. Works great everywhere else. The prop does come up quickly, so I can usually get the heading and do a quick lift, then into the slip.

Well Gang,
OP here. We, as of yet, have not dove into the purchase of the Sideshift system just yet. Kind-a wish I'd have done it when I first created this thread. The prices have almost doubled since then. For both the bow and stern systems, you're looking at between $7,500 and $8000 smackers. I'm still working on a different system. One of these days, I'll find what I'm looking for. Anyway, glad that some of you have purchased and installed or had installed the Sideshift system, bow or stern or both. as I stated in my last post here, NO AMOUNT OF PRACTICE can be of value to any docking or retrieving on a trailer when wakes from boats driven by idiots who don't slow down appreciably near a boat ramp are bouncing you all over the place. Or, there's no-notice wind gusts that come out of nowhere and you're piloting a 26' Tri-hull with both biminis up, or a combination of all of the above is taking place.

If all you have is a 350HP engine and no wazoo docking settings on the console, your experience is all you have for armament in the attack of putting your barge back on the trailer. Yes, as stated we also had the foot ball goal posts on our trailer. You get all lined up, approaching your trailer with minimal speed, all is well and all of a sudden, the wind and a set of wakes hits you and within micro seconds, your 26' battleship is no longer in line with the trailer anymore. And as stated, if all you have is your boat engine to assist you in manipulating back into a correct approach, you can't just do it by backing up 3' and take another approach, AIN'T HAPPENING.

Some of you have way better conditions for docking and trailer retrieval than we do here in lake Havasu. And that makes for way easier operations. And sometimes, when the sun and the moon and Jupiter and Mars are all lined up just right, we too can drive/float right up and onto the trailer FIRST SHOT! It happens, but it's rare.
Scott

Hey Scott curious was your DROP program 3 or 5 yrs??? So you were able to participate in it before retiring?
Hey BigKahuna,
I'm incredibly sorry for this late reply. Our DROP program "was" 5 years. I say was because, as stated, the City decided that the benefits of the DROP program, specifically the part that keeps senior, well seasoned vets around for longer periods so they don't have to hire and train new and lazy people, was not a good enough benefit vs cost for them. They've had that stab them in the back several times over ever since they nixed the DROP. Then there was the fact that like M Jay Farr stated below, the city also benefitted from not paying into each individual retirement account when a person entered the DROP. Apparently that MASSIVE savings wasn't of interest to the city comptrollers or council members. Well, that too has backfired SEVERELY on that city.

There are some citys/county governments etc. that are run by competent people and have forward thinking abilities. Where I retired from, none of that existed and doesn't exist today.

As for my length of tour in the DROP, 4.9 years.
Scott
I had to weigh in on the "Drop" program. I retired from Arlington County Police, which has the program, and it is a great incentive to keep talent on board. Ours is only three years, but well worth it. It seems that some don't understand that once in Drop, the County was no longer obligated to contribute any more funds to my retirement. Only had to pay what I was already owed.
M Jay Farr,
Concerning the statement "It seems that some don't undertand that once in the Drop......" As stated above, yes, where I retired from, there were (and still are) so many city officials, council members, comptrollers etc. that simply refused to fully understand all the immediate as well as the future benefits of the DROP. All those benefits were explained to all those officials multiple times IN DETAIL and they still refused to acknowledge them. Oh well, that program did drastically augment the retirement income of all us retirees that participated in it, at least for a given/chosen amount of time.
Scott

P.S. Still contemplating the procurement of the Side shift system.
Scott

Back