Simrad Go7 XSE NMEA 2000 to Yamaha SHO

PharmDGator

Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have any DIY instructions on connecting the Simrad to my motor so I can display engine data? I have a 23GSB and would love to get this connected.

You need a NMEA network kit and probably some type of harness adapter for your motor. Hook adapter to motor and to NMEA network, hook that to Simrad and power connections if not part of the NMEA.

Do you have a DEC engine?

If your motor was DEC, it’s lot easier to build a NEMA network. You can google NEMA network with Simrad and there is quite a bit of information out there on how to build a network. The challenge is you have to wire from the motor to an appropriate harness.

I did a gauge upgrade last fall to a Lowrance gauge but the nmea2000 network setup should be the same. See the link for pics, info, etc.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/gauge-upgrade.9218/#post-121812

DaveyJ, thanks for the link, that really helps. I can see an easy way to connect the motor the network in the battery housing. What would be the best way to route the cable to the helm and how long of a cable do you think I would need to do this in a swingback model?

My network in the pic is under the port side lounger (location would roughly be inline with your middle port cupholder on your swingback). I'm not sure where your battery box is located but the Lowrance engine adapter cable was long enough to reach this location in my boat. From there, you can see there's a substantial amount of extra cable length in the cable provided with the gauge. I believe the 15' cable in the Lowrance NMEA Starter Kit is the same one provided with the gauge. I assume the biggest difference will be in the installation itself in that my underskinning was removed for the install of the Sea Legs so I have access to the underside of the boat. I did run everything parallel and perpendicular to the cross members so the length needed should be similar. I assume you'll need a fish tape to pull yours or did they leave you a conduit to the helm from the battery location?

My network in the pic is under the port side lounger (location would roughly be inline with your middle port cupholder on your swingback). I'm not sure where your battery box is located but the Lowrance engine adapter cable was long enough to reach this location in my boat. From there, you can see there's a substantial amount of extra cable length in the cable provided with the gauge. I believe the 15' cable in the Lowrance NMEA Starter Kit is the same one provided with the gauge. I assume the biggest difference will be in the installation itself in that my underskinning was removed for the install of the Sea Legs so I have access to the underside of the boat. I did run everything parallel and perpendicular to the cross members so the length needed should be similar. I assume you'll need a fish tape to pull yours or did they leave you a conduit to the helm from the battery location?

I'm heading out on the boat today, so I'm going to look and see if they left a conduit. The only concern I have with a DIY is connecting the Simrad to the network. I like the idea of keeping the in the battery area or under the swingback lounger.

I'm heading out on the boat today, so I'm going to look and see if they left a conduit. The only concern I have with a DIY is connecting the Simrad to the network. I like the idea of keeping the in the battery area or under the swingback lounger.

Basically plugs and lines and power connection. You'll probably have more time invested setting up the Simrad to get data you want ... ;)

Yep, hooking up is the easy part, the tough part for me was running the cable due to tight spaces, etc.

In the interim, if anyone can tell me how to get the temp to display in Fahrenheit vs. Celsius that would be great...I've scoured the manual and can't seem to find the settings for temperature units. I've dug into the setting menu and cannot find it as well.

If you already have a Yamaha digitally controlled motor do you have to run a separate wire back to the engine or can the Simrad connect in somewhere in the helm?

If you already have a Yamaha digitally controlled motor do you have to run a separate wire back to the engine or can the Simrad connect in somewhere in the helm?

If I recall correctly, there’s a seperate connector on the motor for the specific harness.

Not near minexat moment, but probably in settings folder, look for one possibly called units??? I know it’s in there somewhere, their documentation for the simple stuff sucks, but for the complex stuff is great?????

Not near minexat moment, but probably in settings folder, look for one possibly called units??? I know it’s in there somewhere, their documentation for the simple stuff sucks, but for the complex stuff is great?????

I may take some beers out to the slip and just sit and play with it while the sun goes down.

It’s under settings, units, distance...

2485D7B6-10C3-443A-9AF4-A77ECE449990.jpeg

Back