SimTex or Traditional Vinyl

MrG

Reaction score
B6507E4C-039F-4111-8124-0DC77B7F0652.jpeg 444BE40C-DB4C-4E36-9D66-4E423FE5DBFB.jpeg A24CC7A1-F661-4816-850D-E1B81ACD7693.jpeg I have a question, my 2012 Q’s Vinyl has issues. I have to “Right Now” replace. 3 seat base’s & the driver seat. Not only is the Vinyl ripping the Foam is wore out and needs new Foam.

So I have been going to a few shops trying to source new Replacment Vinyl. I came across a few samples that look like they will do the trick.

In the process I saw they offer SimTex Vinyl And because I have to remake the covers I could use this time to switch over to SimTex. I was wondering what people’s advice would be for switching to Sim Tex Vs just replacing with New high quality vinyl.

PS I was told that Keystone’s new line of Marine Vinyl the “Olympic” line is the Best Vinyl out. Here are some samples of the Olympic and the SimTex.

Pic#1 Olympus “Sand” (best match)
Pic#2 SimTex Beige
Pic#3 SimTex French Vanilla.

I was thinking that I would ditch the 2 tone and just going with a solid color

First, I have no experience with regular vinyl. Our 2017 Bennington is our first boat. However, we LOVE the SimTex. It wipes clean so easily. We think it looks good. Since our boat is a 2017, we have no idea how longer term durable it might be, but we are hopeful it holds up great.

P.S it’s very very very hard to find a exact match for the tan color. My thoughts are if I want a exact match then I need to buy the raw material from either Bennington or Veda. But to be honest the quality of the stock bennington material is not as good as the Keystone Vinyl. In fact the 2nd tone material in my seats is not even Marine grade vinyl. That may explain why it’s all flailing.

For 2012 models I thought Bennington offered a 7 year Bow to Stern Warranty as follows except it is 7 instead of 10 years:

10-YEAR BOW-TO-STERN WARRANTY*: As the original owner of a new Bennington, the first ten years are covered directly by Bennington. All materials and workmanship are covered by us, including flooring, electronics, and upholstery. No hassles, no worries, no hand-offs. It’s simple. Your dealer will register the warranty for you upon delivery of your new boat. Your engine is covered by the engine manufacturer’s stated warranty.
Have you checked with your Bennington dealer to see if the warranty will cover it?

When I bought my 2013 the warranty was 7 years. It might be that the 2012 model year was a 5 year warranty.

2012 was only 5 year. 7 started with 2013 model year.

I remember when this form started getting going they offered a deal if you became a member and you had just bought your 2012 you could extend it to seven years are becoming a member

I am also in the same boat Mr G as I also have a 2012. I remember researching it a couple of years ago and was disappointed that my boat did not qualify for the extended warranty. If I remember right it had to do with it bing purchased after a certain month of the year

I got the low down.

The 7 year started in 2013
They included 2012 boats Bought from Aug on. IF you joined the Fourm.

So my boat just missed out. I’m working with them right now so hopefully bennington still has replacment Vinyl. Or I may try and switch to SimTex. Still looking for some feedback on stains. The stuff feels like it’s more open and able for oils to sink in. But I know the stuff is great or they would not have switched over to SimTex

I don't have it but like the feel of it on my dealers showroom. Members on this forum that do have it report no problems and seem to give it high marks. I did read somewhere that many high-end boat builders have moved to Simtex over the past few years. If I were in your position, I'd certainly be giving it some thought.

I have the Simtex and love it. Cleans easy with soap and water or I just use Fantastic or 409 and medium scrub brush. No more protectants and no problem with stains at all. Great stuff so far...

Last edited:
I have the Simtex and love it. Cleans easy with soap and water or I just use Fantastic or 409 and medium scrub brush. No more protectants and no problem with stains at all. Great stuff so far...
Love the Simtex. Was painting my cat walk railing with enamel paint and unknowingly had some paint on my shorts as I sat in the boat. Luckily I noticed it before my wife did and was able to clean it off with some fantastic and soft bristle brush. Cannot see where the paint was and my wife never found out. Happy wife, Happy life, as they say! ;)

So this are my options:
#1 I can buy new factory skins from bennington and then have them installed locally. (Problem is) I’m certain that the skins will fail as these ones did in a few short years.

#2 I can have a local guy make new seat skins and new high density foam and switch to SimTex.

Not positive but I’m pretty confident that I can have the local guy make new skins out of SimTex and New high density foam for around the same price I would be paying for factory skins only
With the advantage of getting newer better materials. Only down side is the new SimTex seats would not match any of my original factory stuff. I would have another 5 seat bases to re-do to make all the seat bases to match.

I’m leaning towards making the jump to SimTex. I would use the Beige as the dark and the French Vanilla as the light section.

Attachments

• 28349024-D955-4799-AB79-2BDF76E13347.jpeg
    28349024-D955-4799-AB79-2BDF76E13347.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 25
  • F09499FE-3401-44AC-95CA-610F844B7FB5.jpeg
    F09499FE-3401-44AC-95CA-610F844B7FB5.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 26
  • EEBBF046-CD7A-4E9C-86B1-6450B42F02E7.jpeg
    EEBBF046-CD7A-4E9C-86B1-6450B42F02E7.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 26
That will look really sharp!

I’m not sure it’s gonna “very sharp” because it’s gonna gonna match my existing furniture. It’s more of a move towards a better set up. Or a work in progress. I can see how the rest of the stock vinyl is not gonna be looking very good soon. Example where ever the cover touches the vinyl you can see spots where the cover has sort of sanded away the stock tan color. Unfortunately the vinyl on the boat seems to be have expired right at The same time my warrantee has. What are your guesses The cost to replace all the vinyl on a boat like mine are going to be

It gets pretty expensive, my last boat was a 21' Hurricne deck boat and the vinyl seats were shot. Quote to reupholster was $6000. Needless to say sold the boat and bought my Benny. Good luck hope it works out

Back