SimTex or Traditional Vinyl

Thank you for the heads up ! I assume no warranty coverage :rolleyes:

I like the SimTex, but we did have a problem.

We left a ski jacket behind the co-captain chair with the cover on so that the kids could grab it for jet ski rides. The ski jacket (not a cheapo) had a decal on the back that melted during a very hot stretch with the cover on. It ended up melting to the SimTex and per the manufacturer, there is no way to remove given the nature of the SimTex fibers. They said the decal essentially melted into and with the SimTex fibers. The only option is to replace the section. Maybe the result would have been the same with any other fabric.

Important to keep life jackets and other materials off the seats while covered. Simtex is made by heating up a chemical compound. The heat inside the covered pontoon heated up the life jacket emblem (most likely some other plastic compound) that resulted in binding the two together.
Did you try to gently warm the decal remains with a hair dryer to see if they would separate ?

Good to know. What color of simtex seating to you have on your boat? You mentioned clean up. Assuming you just use the recommended soap and water wash to clean up with?

Ours is a light tan. And correct, we have always just used the recommended soap and water clean up recommendations. That has been 100% sufficient for keeping our seats looking new after 4 summers with the SimTex.

D0EC2399-BDB2-497E-9419-BA865514FAC1.jpegDAC3E66C-910A-491E-A944-D4D0650F1333.jpeg46FC2B9B-1E7D-431D-96D7-413372D6E76A.jpeg7C4ADAC3-B8BF-4AA1-93B0-F396CC4ADA45.jpegC4C36E9C-6178-44C6-93A5-7AF0C2C5AA0C.jpeg

Ours is a light tan. And correct, we have always just used the recommended soap and water clean up recommendations. That has been 100% sufficient for keeping our seats looking new after 4 summers with the SimTex.

View attachment 28733View attachment 28734View attachment 28735View attachment 28736View attachment 28737
Thanks for the pics. Gives me hope in keeping ours looking as good. They are light colored as well (sandstone) and I am a little nervous about them showing stuff. This will be our first summer of boating. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the pics. Gives me hope in keeping ours looking as good. They are light colored as well (sandstone) and I am a little nervous about them showing stuff. This will be our first summer of boating. Looking forward to it.
I am picky about things, so we’ve had some enhanced rules for the boat (for good or bad at times).

One, its almost always covered if not in use. I might leave it uncovered dockside for the day if we have company up and are hanging out lakeside. and on and off the boat all day.

Additionally, I am fairly strict on food and drinks on the boat. Water and basic non-crumbly and non-staining snacks/drinks only. Outside of that, very rarely do I allow other things on it.

However, we are lakeside with a nice cottage deck. Hence, we have lakeside eating and drinking options separately from the boat. If I trailered it to places, I wouldn’t be able to get away with being so restrictive.

Did you try to gently warm the decal remains with a hair dryer to see if they would separate ?
I did - no luck. I also tried the gorilla tape with a little heat.

Attachments

• Sticker (1).jpg
    Sticker (1).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 18
Looking Great ! How do you like your 200hp Mercury Verado Pro ?
I couldn’t be more pleased with it!!! It is a great motor. Quiet. Powerful. Smooth. Honestly, it checks off a lot of boxes. For me the things that have always stood out are that it has both GREAT hole shot, but also still gets great top MPH at WOT with the Enertia prop. Furthermore, in between those two extremes I really like the smooth power arc it provides while accelerating. On top of that, it is so quiet at idle, and not bad at all given its power plant and super charger, when accelerating. I highly recommend it for anyone’s consideration. Absolutely worth the extra money.

Like your Rolling Tide running backs, powerful and fast, but also still nimble. ;):D:cool:

I did - no luck. I also tried the gorilla tape with a little heat.

I know this sounds dumb but maybe you could create some kind of design incorporating what’s there, and overlay it and melt it onto seat. It sounds dumb, might might look better than what’s there.

Would using a steamer on this spot be a possibility to heat the material and possibly get it to release and be removed with some cleaner like Fantastik?? Not sure how the Simtex would react to the steam but might be worth considering.

Would using a steamer on this spot be a possibility to heat the material and possibly get it to release and be removed with some cleaner like Fantastik?? Not sure how the Simtex would react to the steam but might be worth considering.
Good question. Not sure if it would make it worse. When I talked with the Simtex Rep, they said the technical people said the two materials were fused together similar to melting plastics together. I would hate to make it worse.

I know this sounds dumb but maybe you could create some kind of design incorporating what’s there, and overlay it and melt it onto seat. It sounds dumb, might might look better than what’s there.
Not a bad idea. I will have to think about that one. Thanks.

Back