Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

SimTex or Traditional Vinyl

Discussion in 'Pontoon Forum' started by MrG, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Michiman

Michiman Well-Known Member

Of course, replacing all of your interior will not be cheap, but it is an investment in your boat which will bring you much delight and a better resale value. On the other hand, I can guarantee that the cost of a new boat will be much more than what you'd spend on fabric. If you like your boat then move forward. If you'd rather have a different size, layout or more HP, save you money and put her up for sale. Just my two sense... ;)

2. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Michiman: That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Michiman likes this.
  3. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Well I think I have decided to Switch to SimTex. I can’t be 100% on this but I have a factory bennington replacement skin. I use it to match the vinyl colors. It has the Ostrich skin vinyl. My ulpolstry guy said that the Ostrich Skin material is not even Marine Vinyl. ?????
    WTH! It makes sense because All of the vinyl that has broken down is the Ostrich Skin vinyl that is a accent piece in almost all my interior

Vikingstaff likes this.
  4. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Well I delayed and delayed, but I figured if I wanna have a boat by Spring I better get cracking on my winter projects and pull the trigger.
    I decided to go SimTex. I’m gonna replace what’s ripped and torn Now. And then slowly replace the reaming seat bases from traditional Vinyl to Sim Tex. Yes I would love to throw 6-8k at doing all the vinyl @ once but I dont have that kind of money right now. So I ordered 10 yards of SimTex at $23 per yard and a sheet of High density(Harder Foam) to replace the factory foam in 2 of the Seat bases.

5. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

I got 10 yards of SimTex and a sheet of the HD foam. $370

Attached Files:

Vikingstaff likes this.
  6. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

This is my take away: I think that bennington does a great job at making the boats sit very comfortable. Part of making that happen is having a very soft foam. I think they want people to “sink” into the seats giving people a very luxurious feel. The down side is that after a few years (disclaimer) Our boat gets lots of use. 2 to 3 times the typical boat owner is what I imagine . With heavy use very soft foam breaks down and now the seats are bottomed out. I think if they would have started with High Density foam it would be to hard for most customers but after a year or so of use the seats would getting softer and softer. It may be somthing they may want to address. But I think because we use our boat so much we are not average customers.

7. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

I had a local guy do one of the seats.
    Here is a before. And the 2 pics below are a After with the new foam and Sim Tex vinyl. The pics don’t look great but the seat looks like factory.

Attached Files:

8. 1trotter

1trotter Well-Known Member

Simtex

9. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

Looks good.

10. 1trotter

1trotter Well-Known Member

Fantastic looking job.

11. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

After looking at pics of Brand new Bennington seats I spotted that the Edge of a Brand new seat had more shape or roundness then my newly refinished seats. I pointed it out the the Upolstry shop and they agreed.

The solution was to place a 1 inch topper foam on the round piece of foam at the edge of the seat. This gave the seat cushion more shape or curves. The foam at the edge didn’t need to be replaced it felt fine as far as support. I’ll take some pics when I go to the shop today.