SimTex Vinyl.

Hi,

We finally were about to order out new R series after two years of research.  (We have a speed boat).  Had it all dialed in and was just finalizing colors and floor.  We happened to stop into a dealer who had just gotten some 2017's in.  When I looked at it it felt like I got punched in the stomach.  It was the first time I saw the Simtex.  I dont know anything about it, but I do know that I do not like it.  I'm really disappointed.  We were so excited to order ours, but Im afraid this is a deal breaker for us.  

Maybe it will grow on me, but for now I have to wait.  Either they will go back to soft touch vinyl or I start looking at other manufacturers.  This really sucks.  I not trying to offend anyone who has ordered this.  It may be the next best thing.  Im sure it is more durable and maybe they switched to have less warranty issues.  We are very meticulous about our interiors and we would never have any problems with regular vinyl. I wish they would have made this optional.  

Yikes!

Hi,

We finally were about to order out new R series after two years of research.  (We have a speed boat).  Had it all dialed in and was just finalizing colors and floor.  We happened to stop into a dealer who had just gotten some 2017's in.  When I looked at it it felt like I got punched in the stomach.  It was the first time I saw the Simtex.  I dont know anything about it, but I do know that I do not like it.  I'm really disappointed.  We were so excited to order ours, but Im afraid this is a deal breaker for us.  

Maybe it will grow on me, but for now I have to wait.  Either they will go back to soft touch vinyl or I start looking at other manufacturers.  This really sucks.  I not trying to offend anyone who has ordered this.  It may be the next best thing.  Im sure it is more durable and maybe they switched to have less warranty issues.  We are very meticulous about our interiors and we would never have any problems with regular vinyl. I wish they would have made this optional.  

I'm sorry to hear this, BUT, I felt the exact same way when I FIRST saw it in Glacier White, but, after seeing it, sitting on it and really checking it out, and talking to the salespeople at the Annapolis show, I did change my feelings and perception. I hope you give it some second thought as there were MANY manufactures using the same type of vinyl, including some VERY EXPENSIVE Sea Ray and other high end luxury yacht manufacturers. There  must be something about it that's making everyone change.  

Completely agree with what SEMPERFI8387 said.  When we received our toon we didn't even know that's what they were putting on it.  Was completely different than the sample the dealer had.  To say we were really upset would be an understatement, but after having it a year under our belt (after coming from a 16 year, 27' open bow with soft vinyl that almost looked brand new) we absolutely love it and it's as eay to clean as the soft vinyl, but don't  stick and sweat all over it. I can assure you we are as meticulous about our interior and exterior as the best of them.  I would encourage you to give it a second thought.

We have a 2016 2250GSR and the material was so poor that is is all coming apart.

Anything is better then what is on ours!!!!!!!

Ours is a early 16.

We ordered our in 15.

Mine is a very early 2016 (ordered July 2015) and I've got the soft touch vinyl.

After having it out a couple days on the water.... It's an enjoyable material. It feels nice and is comfortable to sit on. The boat still looks high end to me regardless. I'm sure the two tone and real diamond stitching helps with that though. 

I did have to clean some spots off of the vinyl and it was not hard to do. It did require a soft brush in some areas though. Not a huge deal. 

Maybe as human beings some of us are just reluctant to change. As I stated, I was a bit disappointed at first sight, but I am not any longer disappointed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to hear jsnmr2, thanks for the update

We have our 2017 SSBXP on order.  We really liked the new Sim Tex fabric better when in the dealership comparing boats.  Now this is not real world experience, and just our reactions to it in the dealerships.  However, we were going back and forth between many boats (some with normal vinyl, some with soft touch vinyl and a few with the new Sim Tex).  We also liked the soft touch, but for us, the Sim Tex was nicer (felt better to the touch and looked higher end to us).  I am glad we could get it on our boat, but can appreciate those that are used to something different.  I hope we are as happy with it over time as we think we will be.  Also, our dealer said it is supposed to be more durable and not get as hot.  If those things hold true, we will be extra happy boaters.

Jeff, when I first saw it I was not fond of it, but after checking it out closely and "testing" it I was sold on it. The Bennington rep. at the show mentioned how it's cooler and easy to clean. It does require a small soft bristle brush depending on the stain. The cleaning aspect is different, but in the end I think we'll be happy. We also went with Tuscan Dune primary color as its pretty dark and hopefully doesn't show dirt that easy. We always use towels anyhow and our 2011 furniture still looks brand new. I'm hoping this new vinyl style looks as well after 5 years. 

We were boat shopping over the weekend and saw the new interior. I have mixed feelings about it just from looking at it but hopefully it's going to be a good material. I can see how it should feel cooler and possibly sweat less on it but we always use towels on our boats so that part really isn't an issue for us. As far as looks compared to the soft touch, I think it looks as nice. I do think it will take more effort to keep it nice and clean, maybe not for a few years but I feel eventually cleaning it with just a soft bristle brush will finally show some wear to it. Hopefully I'm wrong because it's the only option for us this year unless we go to a different brand toon and that just isn't at all what we want to do.

The wife and I really like the new interior. I was skeptical about it until our dealer had me sit on it. Definitely like it better then the old school vinyl that was on another model. I thought it was very comfortable and looked really sharp 

Can anyone share how their simtex seats are holding up? Any FL or other southern boaters having mildew issues or does it seem to do pretty well with the humidity?

Can anyone share how their simtex seats are holding up? Any FL or other southern boaters having mildew issues or does it seem to do pretty well with the humidity?
Had since may, no problems so far. I keep boat covered with a fan running under the cover, washed them down thoroughly with soap and water only 2 times this year.

I was hoping to get your feedback! Do you have the fan blowing the air in or out? I keep mine covered as well and leave the back gate and port gate open to allow for air circulation but don't have a fan. That is good to hear on no mildew so far with the simtex.

Andy, 3rd year and it still looks new. We get some real humid periods here in Pa. especially mid-late summer with afternoon thunder storms. Knock on wood, no issues whatsoever!

I was hoping to get your feedback! Do you have the fan blowing the air in or out? I keep mine covered as well and leave the back gate and port gate open to allow for air circulation but don't have a fan. That is good to hear on no mildew so far with the simtex.
I just have it circulating the air under the cover. I don’t have any gates open.

We have 3 summers on our Simtex and it is holding up great, and looks new. However, as humid as it might get in stretches up here, it is nothing like the sustained humidity down in Florida. Glad Rodsfields is able to speak to that. So far I really love the fabric.

I'm just curious as if my seats need to be replaced, I would imagine it would be with Simtex now. Still haven't talked to the dealer though. I'm glad to hear it holds up to the humidity.

Back