Siphoning Fuel

spinzone

Reaction score
To my mechanically savvy fellow forum members,

Any tips on draining or siphoning fuel from my tank? I learned my lesson of big city living and storing my boat with a full tank of fuel.

During the winter storage, someone decided that my boat was an easy target to steal fuel from. I checked on her over the weekend to find my gas cap hanging (could have been up to a month) and approx. 10-12 gallons siphoned off. I'm now worried about water making it into my tank.

I'm in need of suggestions to prevent running too much water through the outboard.

Mercury offer this fuel treatment system ,.http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/brochures/8M0049811_MC_123-EXT.pdf

I always use the "Super Siphon" for this. They work really well and are cheap, easy to use.

Also, I have the separate fuel/water separator Bennington offers, which is Yamaha. I've always used Racor on my other boats as they have a visual bowl on the bottom so you can see it and drain it easily.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably being overly cautious. My water seperator will more than likely catch everything, but I figure I better be safe in the event it's more than just "a little" water.

Nothing worse than cutting a day on the water short due to mechanical failures!

Yup, SS all the way !!!!!!

Chas, if you need one, I have one, just let me know and I'll give you a hand. I've also got (4) 5 gal cans. How big is the tank on your toon?

Carl,

I'll take you up on that offer! I'll give you a shout on Friday.

We're going away on Sunday but we'll be here Saturday.

Question on the SS does it have to be above the gas port to work ?

I have to bring fuel to my Bennie, thinking this may be an option.

Ron

Yes, it still works off gravity, it just uses a marble to act as a one way valve when you shake it to get the siphoning started. I sit my jug on lounger on a towel right above the fuel fill.

http://www.superjiggler.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, talk about disappointing, I saw your link and thought woohoo, now we're talking!! Not what I expected. :( haha

Oops, talk about disappointing, I saw your link and thought woohoo, now we're talking!! Not what I expected. :( haha
I was waiting on you to respond ............. :lol:

Two thumbs up on the superjiggler. I bought mine at Menard's in Indy. They have two sizes. The large will siphon about five gallons a minute. I cut off the existing tube and attached one that wouldn't collapse so easy. My buddy talked me into carrying 5 gallon gas cans to my boat slip to fill up. It's good exercise and I save a couple of bucks each time. But I hate him for suggesting it as I am lazy! :D

Two thumbs up on the superjiggler. I bought mine at Menard's in Indy. They have two sizes. The large will siphon about five gallons a minute. I cut off the existing tube and attached one that wouldn't collapse so easy. My buddy talked me into carrying 5 gallon gas cans to my boat slip to fill up. It's good exercise and I save a couple of bucks each time. But I hate him for suggesting it as I am lazy! :D
Another justification would be so you can avoid ethanol infused gasoline - at least that's why I do it.

Yes, it still works off gravity, it just uses a marble to act as a one way valve when you shake it to get the siphoning started. I sit my jug on lounger on a towel right above the fuel fill.

http://www.superjiggler.com/
I just checked the link .

They offer 3 ,which do you recommend for filling the boat ?

Thanks

1/2" works fine for me..............

Back