Ski pole

Ninnie

Reaction score
Hi, we own a pontoon with sea grass flooring. Purchased a telescopic ski pole and would like to install. Question is how do you cut through the flooring with out it shredding, splitting.

Thanks,
Ninnie

Your best bet is using a hole bunch a tick bigger than the bolt size. That’ll cut the fibers in a clean circle. Another option would be using a snowmobile track stud drill bit, it’s the same idea. If all else fail you could use the old carpet trick and run your drill in reverse to cut thru the flooring then swap it around for the wood.
Good luck!

Make sure to verify on factory installs any added bracing, plates, etc....

Find a hole saw the size of WHAT GOES THROUGH THE DECK, trace around the hole saw, then using a sharp chisel punch around the tracing. Remove that chunk of seagrass. You could use a utility knife but I’d be afraid of slipping and cutting outside your intended path. After cutting and removing the portion for the part that goes through the deck, place hole saw (with bit loose) inside the cutout to center the bit, drill the bit through, then tighten and finish with hole saw. Do as above for bolt holes.

Hi, we own a pontoon with sea grass flooring. Purchased a telescopic ski pole and would like to install. Question is how do you cut through the flooring with out it shredding, splitting.

Thanks,
Ninnie
What make/model ski pole did you get?

I’d be curious what type of ski pole your are installing, and once you get it figured out and installed, would LOVE to see pictures of your set up. Unfortunately I am useless on any type of work like this, but I know the ideas above are coming from amazingly insightful, experienced, and handy people. Good luck, and please post pics when the job is done!

Back