Ski Tow Bar or Ski Pylon

SandyG

Reaction score
Building a 23RSR with SPS (tritoon) and Yamaha 200hp. We live on a large lake and mostly cruise and pull our grandkids on one or two tubes tubes. Presently we have a 2275RLi with a 90hp Yamaha. Sold our Searay and decided to get a boat that would do it all. We are undecided on the ski tow bar or ski pylon. Presently we have a telescoping pylon in the sundeck that works great. We were going to get a ski tow bar with the tritoon package(2019) because that was our only option but this year(2020) they are offering a removable 54" Pylon. I'm questioning strength on a removable pylon plus I'm not familiar with a ski tow bar. Any feedback is appreciated.

I saw the removable pylon at the dealership. It is a hefty piece and would hold up to towing.

The location bugged me on a non-extended deck. It would get in the way of boarding. Extended deck, I think you would be fine but you might want to mock up to test.

I saw a TurboSwing at a boat show. I thought it would be a good tool for towing.

I love the pylon. I only have it in when using for skiing and tubing. Love the clean look. At the end of day. It is all personal preference in what you like.

I prefer the pylon to the tow bar for looks. However, we ended up going with the Turbo Swing when we got our boat in 2017. The Turbo Swing mounts on to the transom directly with the motor mounts. Thus, it is totally out of the way of any aft floor space. On another positive note, it is also engineered and rated for all water sports towing, so its a nice and reassuring level of stability.

That said, I wouldn’t have concerns with any Bennington tow bar or pylons in regards to strength and durability.

Below are some pictures of our Turbo Swing to get an idea of how it is mounted, and how it is totally out of the way of everything:

7FD6A6CA-1BF8-4D35-A5C6-B98D829B01E3.jpeg

3FBF4E85-B24E-4550-B002-09EC616AC0B4.jpeg

CFF4FC25-36F1-4F12-89A7-A09AB0EBD686.jpeg

Last edited:
We bought a boat already rigged out with options and it came with both the turbo swing and the pylon. I thought I'd never use the turbo swing and almost removed it but decided to give it a try. It works great. It helps keep the ropes away from the prop and it allows a smooth back and forth for tubing and skiing. The ropes attach to a "pulley" like connector that rolls along the bar with no resistance. We have not used the pylon yet but it is very stout and fairly heavy. The pylon is designed to get the rope up a little higher for skiers/wakeboarding. I think if I had to pick one so far it would be the turbo swing mostly because it keeps the walk area behind the motor more open and I don't want to move the pylon back under the seat when not in use. If tubing and some skiing is your main play - I think the turbo swing is worth considering.

I have a 2019 22ssrxp with an extended aft deck and the tow bar. I like it more than I thought I would. I keep my boat on a lift and it provides something to hold onto when I’m drying off and covering the motor. Also, it gives me someplace to mount my grill. There’s not a lot of Open railing on the fence where you can mount a grill and this works perfect, keeping my magma kettle grill over the water while I stand on the aft deck to cook. I don’t keep it mounted when underway. I was also thinking of mounting some holders to hold my fenders on it.

I have the tall ski bar, so I can only tell the benefits that I see which is of course, the obvious
... being able to easily pull the skier and tuber, but I have my homemade rear sun cover holders (fishing rod holders) mounted as well as my cooking grill that mounts to the side of it. It’s also great as a handrail for doing things on the extended deck. It’s also a nice guard or roll bar for motor protection to some degree. Makes a nice hanger for strapping wet life preservers to.

I have a 2019 22ssrxp with an extended aft deck and the tow bar. I like it more than I thought I would. I keep my boat on a lift and it provides something to hold onto when I’m drying off and covering the motor. Also, it gives me someplace to mount my grill. There’s not a lot of Open railing on the fence where you can mount a grill and this works perfect, keeping my magma kettle grill over the water while I stand on the aft deck to cook. I don’t keep it mounted when underway. I was also thinking of mounting some holders to hold my fenders on it.
Got any pictures of this setup? We have the Swingback with no railings and never thought of this option.

Got any pictures of this setup? We have the Swingback with no railings and never thought of this option.
Not yet, but I’ll snap one next time I have the grill mounted.

Here’s what mine looks like, if it helps you get an idea. 42DD18EE-E358-4728-94E0-65A7C368A043.jpeg230D5FBF-4F9E-4D80-A833-8037E4DC9542.jpeg37CCDE99-13C9-43E9-9059-842052A76380.jpeg38B1A443-C2E8-4CF0-A1CE-89AD4C1F1DCF.jpeg6932C214-BE83-450C-A83E-1C670C53B08F.jpeg

I have the tall ski bar, so I can only tell the benefits that I see which is of course, the obvious
... being able to easily pull the skier and tuber, but I have my homemade rear sun cover holders (fishing rod holders) mounted as well as my cooking grill that mounts to the side of it. It’s also great as a handrail for doing things on the extended deck. It’s also a nice guard or roll bar for motor protection to some degree. Makes a nice hanger for strapping wet life preservers to.
Wow! would love to see a photo of that! Now I see the photos. Thanks!

This thread morphed somewhat to include grills. I've always had to search for an open beach where I could set up my little charcoal number, but those onboard units might be the way to go. I would caution, however, against using one too close to the boat fuel inlet, as is visible in one post.

This thread morphed somewhat to include grills.

Agreed. Please keep this thread discussion to the pylon issue. Start another thread to discuss grill options. Any further “grill” posts will be removed.

The above is an exceptional post on the advantages of the tow bar over the pylon. I thought I would reiterate/summarize so people recognize its many uses and value. It really does complement the extended deck immensely. Anyone getting the extended deck should add this, even if you don't pull tubes or skiers.

Summary of its uses:
- Pulling tubes and skiers
- Fishing rod holders
- Shade cover attachment point
- Grill mount (oops)
- Hand railing and fall protection
- Vest drying
- Roll cage for engine cowl protection
- Temp storage for blown up tube when not in use (added per comment below)

Last edited:
Back