Ski Tow Bar or Ski Pylon

I am really enamored with my Turbo Swing, and like that it keeps me entire rear extended aft deck free of any and all obstruction. However, the list of non-towing uses of a more traditional tow bar as mentioned by Spoiled and listed out by Kaydano are also really compelling. IF I had a traditional tow bar, I would have created a shade cover set up for our Swingback, and I can certainly see it having been used for a hand railing, and vest drying spot. That said, not having anything back there due to a Turbo Swing being behind the boat/motor entirely, is also nice when moving around.

Although I opted for the pylon, primarily because it was removable. There is a part of me that wishes I had kept the tow bar.

Summary of its uses:
- Pulling tubes and skiers
- Fishing rod holders
- Shade cover attachment point
- Grill mount (oops)
- Hand railing and fall protection
- Vest drying
- Roll cage for engine cowl protection

I would add that you are more likely to be able to secure a towable to the tow bar when not in use than the pylon or TurboSwing. Depending on the towable you can literally tie it to the tow bar.

One other potential advantage, perhaps just because I don't have a level of trust in the pylon yet is it's less likely the line will slide down the pylon before tension and mess up the cowling when tension is applied. The TurboSwing addresses this concern better than any other solution.

I love the pylon. I don't even have it on the boat when we are not using it. I love the clean look and it's look when in use.

Alice - how do you keep the end of the tow rope tight on the top of the pylon? I may be missing somethign obvious but our pre-spliced tow rope has a good bit of slack.

Alice - how do you keep the end of the tow rope tight on the top of the pylon? I may be missing something obvious but our pre-spliced tow rope has a good bit of slack.
Loop it through itself and pull tight. See attached pic (apologies, didn't have spliced loop or pylon handy:)

Attachments

• IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 50
Alice - how do you keep the end of the tow rope tight on the top of the pylon? I may be missing somethign obvious but our pre-spliced tow rope has a good bit of slack.

Really just put the loop at the end of rope around the top that has a ridge. Never had an issue. D9C9B616-4301-43BD-BD08-015B83E5A8E3.jpeg

Thanks guys, I’ve been trying Alices method with mixed success, will try the other approach to see if that’s better.

Building a 23RSR with SPS (tritoon) and Yamaha 200hp. We live on a large lake and mostly cruise and pull our grandkids on one or two tubes tubes. Presently we have a 2275RLi with a 90hp Yamaha. Sold our Searay and decided to get a boat that would do it all. We are undecided on the ski tow bar or ski pylon. Presently we have a telescoping pylon in the sundeck that works great. We were going to get a ski tow bar with the tritoon package(2019) because that was our only option but this year(2020) they are offering a removable 54" Pylon. I'm questioning strength on a removable pylon plus I'm not familiar with a ski tow bar. Any feedback is appreciated.
We have a 2019 23RSR with the pylon and have been very happy with it. It is overbuilt in my opinion and is heavy wall stainless tubing. Durability/strength should never be an issue. I also like it serving as a handrail of sorts when grandkids are putting on their wakeboards on the rear deck. Good luck on your 23RSR build!! We love ours!

I have a 2019 22ssrxp with an extended aft deck and the tow bar. I like it more than I thought I would. I keep my boat on a lift and it provides something to hold onto when I’m drying off and covering the motor. Also, it gives me someplace to mount my grill. There’s not a lot of Open railing on the fence where you can mount a grill and this works perfect, keeping my magma kettle grill over the water while I stand on the aft deck to cook. I don’t keep it mounted when underway. I was also thinking of mounting some holders to hold my fenders on it.
I also have the regular ski tow bar. It is very good to have as a railing when out on the extended aft deck-(boat is a fast back) and is great to hold on to when doing the daily motor flush.

Yes, twist and turn but if you're really having a problem, just poke your head in the engine pod to see the bottom of the post.

If your design is the same as my 2011, This is what you are trying to engage from, hence the clockwise rotation to loosen.

ski pylon base.JPG

My dealer instructed us to double the loop up to take up the slack and it works perfect. Still rotates, but stays at the top of the pylon.

My dealer instructed us to double the loop up to take up the slack and it works perfect. Still rotates, but stays at the top of the pylon.

The method PRaudio‘s picture shows above has worked like a charm for us

Building a 23RSR with SPS (tritoon) and Yamaha 200hp. We live on a large lake and mostly cruise and pull our grandkids on one or two tubes tubes. Presently we have a 2275RLi with a 90hp Yamaha. Sold our Searay and decided to get a boat that would do it all. We are undecided on the ski tow bar or ski pylon. Presently we have a telescoping pylon in the sundeck that works great. We were going to get a ski tow bar with the tritoon package(2019) because that was our only option but this year(2020) they are offering a removable 54" Pylon. I'm questioning strength on a removable pylon plus I'm not familiar with a ski tow bar. Any feedback is appreciated.
I have a G23 with the pylon so far so good. I thought it might be in the way, but it really isn't and its plenty sturdy. Prefer it to the bar sticking out that back

I have a G23 with the pylon so far so good. I thought it might be in the way, but it really isn't and its plenty sturdy. Prefer it to the bar sticking out that back

Pinnacle - do ever have issues with the tow rope rubbing the engine Cowl due to a lack of clearance, particularly when pulling a tube? Thank you.​

Pinnacle - do ever have issues with the tow rope rubbing the engine Cowl due to a lack of clearance, particularly when pulling a tube? Thank you.​

G23 with a 250 Verado, nope no issues what so ever with the tow line rubbing. never even comes close. The pole is a bit in the way at times, but you get use to it quickly. I do think its better than the wrap around two bar.
I have the the standard aluminum ladder. its a bit of a pain to bend over and fold. I attached a rope to the bottom step and the top of the ladder. Now I just pull the rope, and its far easier and more convenient. I curl the rope and snap it between the strap that holds the ladder when not in use.

G23 with a 250 Verado, nope no issues what so ever with the tow line rubbing. never even comes close. The pole is a bit in the way at times, but you get use to it quickly. I do think its better than the wrap around two bar.
I have the the standard aluminum ladder. its a bit of a pain to bend over and fold. I attached a rope to the bottom step and the top of the ladder. Now I just pull the rope, and its far easier and more convenient. I curl the rope and snap it between the strap that holds the ladder when not in use.
Great Solutions - thank you, appreciate the feedback. Larry

Back