Slalom Skiing behind 2016 21SLX 150Yamaha V-Max

Prattlake

Reaction score
I just wanted to to help anyone who is leaning toward a 150hp as apposed to the 115hp.  Our Bennington is a 21SLX with the SPS TriToon package.  I opted for the 150 Yamaha V-Max SHO.  I slalom skied for the first time this weekend.  I am 5' 9" and 180lbs.  It popped me right up.  We had 3 adults and two 4 year olds in the pontoon. The wake was nice and smooth.  My ski didn't even skip at all.  Less wake than a Pro-Star Master Craft.  I am way out of skiing shape so my speed was around 28mph.  This boat will pull a slalom skier 32mph, no problem.

The Pontoon ran 38mph with 2 adults and one 4 year old.  The bimini was up and hardly no trim.  I project it will run 42 with the Bimini down and a little more trim. 

We ordered the 21 SLX, SPS Tri-Toon, 150 Yamaha VMAX SHO, Garmin Echo 43d, Ski bar, Vinyl Flooring.  No other upgrades.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.  Yeah my wife pulls me slalom skiing behind ours.  Sure does turn heads when a pontoon boat is pulling a slalom skier eh?

We ordered the 21 SLX, SPS Tri-Toon, 150 Yamaha VMAX SHO, Garmin Echo 43d, Ski bar, Vinyl Flooring.  No other upgrades.   

Congratulations! Post some pics so we can drool over your purchase.

Prattlake

We pull two slolam skiers behind our 22SCWX with a 150hp Yamaha. We usually tow slolam around 28 mph. My son and I ski together and are both right at 200 lbs each. As I have stated in other threads if you aren't careful you WILL pull the rope right out of you're skiers hands. The only thing I haven't seen yet is a barefoot skier. Don't expect to on our lake either, mostly fisherman and tubers.

So I have a 22scwx with a Yamaha 115, think it would pull a slalom skier? Around 180 lbs?

I pulled up three slalom skier at once over the 4th of July behind my new 2275 GL SPS F200 Yamaha. It was my brother and my two teen age nephews. Probably about 400 pounds all together.  Motor pulled them up with no problem and I was pulling them at 32 MPH easily. It was really something to see them all get up behind the boat. I'll never forget it.

Where is the video?!?!?!?!?!?!??

Here is the pic.  It really happened!View attachment 1513

So you aren't pulling by way of a ski tow pillar or ski bar? Looks like you're ropes are attached to the U-hook on one side of the boat. You know some on here will get on to you, stating that it's not possible to use those. :D   If that is actually where you are attached. I still say if those things are designed to hold your boat on the trailer bouncing down the highway, they are tough enough to pull a few skinny skiers. 

So you aren't pulling by way of a ski tow pillar or ski bar? Looks like you're ropes are attached to the U-hook on one side of the boat. You know some on here will get on to you, stating that it's not possible to use those. :D   If that is actually where you are attached. I still say if those things are designed to hold your boat on the trailer bouncing down the highway, they are tough enough to pull a few skinny skiers. 

No, the ropes are all attached to the 46 inch ski pylon that came with the boat. I loved it as I have never had the pylon before.

Alicedream

Way cool! Guess I have a new goal for my crew. Water sports Rock!!!

Here is the pic.  It really happened!View attachment 1513

All right now I'm going to have to find the video/pics of my wife, daughter, and mother in law skiing behind the Benny........Ha!

Wow! 32 mph is fast. I try to keep it about 25/26.

All right now I'm going to have to find the video/pics of my wife, daughter, and mother in law skiing behind the Benny........Ha!

Wow! 32 mph is fast. I try to keep it about 25/26.

They are really good skiers and like to go fast. I hope to have a video in near future of one of my nephews bare footing  behind my brothers Bennington. He is in the process of learning. 

They are really good skiers and like to go fast. I hope to have a video in near future of one of my nephews bare footing  behind my brothers Bennington. He is in the process of learning. 

Also have videos of us bare footing somewhere. Never liked it. But had to do it because my father in law did it. Ha! He challenged all of his son in laws. He had a boom off of his Mastercraft that he used to teach people to barefoot and ski. Wasn't really fun and my feet used to hurt. Let me add.........that was YEARS ago.

I have never tried to barefoot. Always wondered what it would be like so, kudos to you who have. I always think of how bad it would hurt to hit a piece of debris that is occasionally found on the lake. Alicedream I would  love to see the video when you get it. That would have to impress the ski boat crowed, even if just a little bit. Now,  if we could just figure out how to safely create a big enough wave to surf behind a Benninton our watercraft would rule:)))

I have never tried to barefoot. Always wondered what it would be like so, kudos to you who have. I always think of how bad it would hurt to hit a piece of debris that is occasionally found on the lake. Alicedream I would  love to see the video when you get it. That would have to impress the ski boat crowed, even if just a little bit. Now,  if we could just figure out how to safely create a big enough wave to surf behind a Benninton our watercraft would rule:)))

My wife wants to try wake surfing so bad! We were on our way in to our slip one afternoon and we had 4 people and 2 dogs to one side of the boat and it kind of created a wave.. Not sure if it was big enough to wake surf though.....

regarding wake surfing.....there is a prop right there! Your typical wake boat has an inboard and a large swim platform to ensure no one can fall into the prop. I would not recommend wake surfing with an outboard ever.

Wake boats have a reversed outdrive. Pulls instead of push.

Back