Slide Anchor & Bumper questions .

Jack M

Reaction score
My slide anchor arrived today . What would be the recommended line size ?

I am thinking half inch twisted .

I also ordered larger bumpers 27 x 8.5 .

They came uninflated .

So this question is .

How firm should they be ?

There is some give in my old set .

Thanks .

I can't remember where I read it but they actually recommended a smaller 3/8 twisted nylon to allow it to stretch slightly and roll over easily on the lake bottom. I have the fancy thick braided nylon thinking it would be stronger and discovered they do not recommend it.

I aired mine up to where they are fairly firm maybe you could push them in an inch or so.

Granted. My boat was WEDGED in my slip, and I wanted as much protection as I could get. with the bumpers. FYI. a 10ft wide slip with a 8'6" beam equals not very much room. When you factor in the 10ft becomes 9'9" with a set of 2 X12's vertically on each side, plus on four posts there is an additional 2" taken for the plastic dock guards. So yes, I had to put the bumpers on one side then lean on the boat to get the other side in. Yup...I became pretty good at threading the needle when docking. And when backing out...make sure EVERYONE'S appendages are INSIDE the boat! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jack, If you think 3/8 is good for an anchor go for it but I my years of boating I learned that one size larger is better. Given that there is some chafing that will be going on for the anchor 1/2" is the way to go

Hey Jack, If you think 3/8 is good for an anchor go for it but I my years of boating I learned that one size larger is better. Given that there is some chafing that will be going on for the anchor 1/2" is the way to go

Yeah I always thought the same thing to be honest but here's a quote from the link above that I had posted about that:

I forgot to mention one other thing that guy told me.....he said even with my big boat to go with 3/8" sized line, NOT 1/2" for the same reason: The 3/8" will have more stretch to it than 1/2" and I have been using 1/2" braided. So like he said, I have been using an anchor line with practically zero stretch plus of course letting too much line out with that box anchor. No wonder that thing hasn't worked as well as I thought it should on windy days.

That is what I had thought also ,until I read that the owner of the company that makes the slide box recommends 3/8 

I ordered the 3/8 Twisted , yesterday .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a drum of 3/8" line for the anchor as well. I have no intention of anchoring out in any sea or wind condition that will require more than that. The dealer provided me with a small-ish Danforth hook and that will serve me well for the sand conditions I spend most of my time boating in. The box style hooks you folks have been talking about are new to me. I can honestly say that here is the first place I've seen one.

The rear of the boat gets a rubber covered mushroom on 15' of line. It lives in a bucket and is used to keep the stern in place.

I guess it all depends on how you're using your boat.

I bought a small box but have been a little afraid of putting it on the boat. Those teeth on my vinyl deck scares me.

I bought a small box but have been a little afraid of putting it on the boat. Those teeth on my vinyl deck scares me.
If you bought the Slide Anchor one it comes with a very nice, thick, durbale pouch/bag that you store it in.

If you bought the Slide Anchor one it comes with a very nice, thick, durbale pouch/bag that you store it in.
Yes Keith it did come with the bag. My concern was pulling it up and onto the bow, folding it and getting it into the bag with out digging a tooth into the deck. I had already decided to give it a try this season but will admit, I am still nervous.

Yeah I hear ya.....I am very careful when I pull mine up and always have the bag right there to place it on after getting the 'salad' off of it first. 

I also had concerns ,until I saw the bag . Works for me 

I have a drum of 3/8" line for the anchor as well. I have no intention of anchoring out in any sea or wind condition that will require more than that. The dealer provided me with a small-ish Danforth hook and that will serve me well for the sand conditions I spend most of my time boating in. The box style hooks you folks have been talking about are new to me. I can honestly say that here is the first place I've seen one.

The rear of the boat gets a rubber covered mushroom on 15' of line. It lives in a bucket and is used to keep the stern in place.

I guess it all depends on how you're using your boat.
Good idea on storing the mushroom anchor in a bucket. That will help contain the clay that inevitably sticks to it no matter how many times I tea bag it in the water... Good tip.

To those who use the Slide Anchor, did you attach the rope with a fisherman's knot or get one of those anchor shackle clevices?

To those who use the Slide Anchor, did you attach the rope with a fisherman's knot or get one of those anchor shackle clevices?

I just attached it with a rope.  When I spoke to the owner of the company back in February (2014) he said to make sure you do NOT use a chain with this type of anchor.

I just attached it with a rope.  When I spoke to the owner of the company back in February (2014) he said to make sure you do NOT use a chain with this type of anchor.
I used a shackle and no chain.

I am going shackle ,no chain .

Back