Slide Anchor & Bumper questions .

I have a 2350 rbr. I have the large box anchor. I am in a moderately rough lake with a lot of wake and few places to hide. I have found the box anchor to work well, but usually have to let out more than the recommended double length of rope. It is very easy to talk with the owner. I spoke with him before my purchase and I think keith did before me. He gives a personal guarantee. You should be able to contact him on the slide anchor website.

I just read the box anchor ad. To those who have a box anchor does the anchor work as easily and as well as the ad claim? I have a 2375 Rcw elliptical and use a conventional anchor that not all that good at holding my boat. I would appreciate any input you would like to share.
We have a small and I swear by it.  We use it on a 2275 GCW.  It holds well in the wind on a sand/mud/grass bottom.  There is no comparison to the anchor we were given when we got the boat.  I may have well as tied a rope around a ball the way that thing rolled around.  We were constantly drifting.  Not an issue since getting the box anchor.  Only down side is I have to physically clean the mud/sand off of it when bringing it up, it really sticks to it, but well worth it.  We have held two boats without issue, as well.  If you're thinking of getting one, get a price match from the previous mentioned website at Overton's, and then use a coupon from Overton.  I think my price was about $120 with tax/shipping.

I just read the box anchor ad. To those who have a box anchor does the anchor work as easily and as well as the ad claim? I have a 2375 Rcw elliptical and use a conventional anchor that not all that good at holding my boat. I would appreciate any input you would like to share.
I use the small slide anchor on my 2375 RCW ,no issues at all .When at the sand bar I also use an 8 lb danforth in the stern to stop the sway .

I do need to teabag the box anchor before bringing it back aboard ( sand bottom ) 

Was at the raft-up at Lake Cumberland last weekend.  Was in 53' of water, let out 100' of rope with the small box anchor and held 3 boats for 5 hours in changing winds and some large wakes from idiots of don't understand that idle speed is not just below planing in a 30' cruiser.   Watched the line of 50 boats across from us move all over the lake.  Every anchor rope was straight down into the water.  Used to use the baby box to anchor the back until the line came back up empty on Memorial Day.  Make sure you check the locking pin on clevis shackles. 

Was at the raft-up at Lake Cumberland last weekend.  Was in 53' of water, let out 100' of rope with the small box anchor and held 3 boats for 5 hours in changing winds and some large wakes from idiots of don't understand that idle speed is not just below planing in a 30' cruiser.   Watched the line of 50 boats across from us move all over the lake.  Every anchor rope was straight down into the water.  Used to use the baby box to anchor the back until the line came back up empty on Memorial Day.  Make sure you check the locking pin on clevis shackles.
That's one of my biggest pet peeves...........Being anchored in a No Wake zone and some boat or jet ski goes through rocking everybody. I've yelled or let me say "reminded" lots of boaters over the years...........

I can't believe the morons that will not observe a no wake zone .

Just last weekend while at the sandbar ( a Posted No Wake Zone )  some idiot came flying onto the sandbar in between all the anchored boats  not paying attention ( fortunately no one was hurt ) By the time he got unstuck ( with a damaged prop ) he was quite embarrassed and left immediately .

Hopefully he learned his lesson  

That's one of my biggest pet peeves...........Being anchored in a No Wake zone and some boat or jet ski goes through rocking everybody. I've yelled or let me say "reminded" lots of boaters over the years...........

We use our boat mostly for fishing and LOVE our small box anchor! The piece of junk we have to stop the stern from moving is another story so want to buy something more useful.

Would anyone recommend the baby box anchor as a second anchor?? Does the function/mechanics of it flopping over work using two (small in front/baby in back)?

(ps: A brother has a pontoon and uses two river anchors off the stern, one on each corner, he's never heard of a box anchor and laughed at ours when he saw us unpack it. If he were to use one though...guess we'd get the last laugh! Those things really hold!)

We use our boat mostly for fishing and LOVE our small box anchor! The piece of junk we have to stop the stern from moving is another story so want to buy something more useful.

Would anyone recommend the baby box anchor as a second anchor?? Does the function/mechanics of it flopping over work using two (small in front/baby in back)?

(ps: A brother has a pontoon and uses two river anchors off the stern, one on each corner, he's never heard of a box anchor and laughed at ours when he saw us unpack it. If he were to use one though...guess we'd get the last laugh! Those things really hold!)
I use a small and a baby.On mild wind days the baby will actually hold the boat.

On windy days it is our stern anchor.

it is light enough to toss it 15-20 feet.

I only keep 50 feet of line on it.

since I got mine, 4 of my friends bought similar combinations

I use a small and a baby.

On mild wind days the baby will actually hold the boat.

On windy days it is our stern anchor.

it is light enough to toss it 15-20 feet.

I only keep 50 feet of line on it.

since I got mine, 4 of my friends bought similar combinations
Thanks for the first hand account! We're probably gonna get that baby!

I have the small box anchor.  Last weekend we beached on a sandbar and were on our floats but were constantly pushed to shore so I dropped the box anchor and tied my float to it so I could just sit and relax without paddling.  Held me pretty good

Last edited by a moderator:
Really??? It held???

Yup held me and a keg

Thanks for the first hand account! We're probably gonna get that baby!
We used the baby to hold the stern of our boat until the rope came up empty on Memorial weekend,  i think a scuba diver saw how well it was working and unscrewed the shackle attachment at the anchor and took the anchor with him or maybe it is still sitting on the bottom of the lake.  I don't know how the locking bolt worked its way loose but I check the shackle for the small  box and it had loosened a couple of turns,

I use a a zip tie to secure my shackles . 

( through the eye of the bolt and around one side of the  shackle )

I put ours in a plastic tote, that way i can pull it up and it goes straight into the tote, no mess, no marks on the floor.

Then the whole thing goes in the changing room for storage.

Hey, Geoffrey - Do you know Al and Sue Hack in Lawrence?  Al is a fraternity brother.

I've got the slide anchor stored in the bag as well.  How do you guys store the rope?  The rope I bought from Overton's when I bought the anchor was on a plastic spool.  It deteriorated a couple of weeks ago as the center roll piece was just a tough piece of cardboard like a toilet roll.  Finally softened up after a couple of years use from getting wet.

Overtons has a line winder that looks like it could be handy.  Right now I'm just wrapping it around my arm like I would an extension cord, but there's got to be a better way to roll it up.

Right now I'm just wrapping it around my arm like I would an extension cord, but there's got to be a better way to roll it up.

Wrapping either electrical cords or ropes around the arm is a no no. Eventually,both the cords and rope will get a twisting memory with in it. You should always wrap them by looping in one hand and then use something like Link showed. You'll save aggravation for yourself later! 

Go to Menards and look at their options for extension cord reels.

Back