Slip or dry storage for winter

HogFan

Reaction score
Our first winter. We're thinking that we could get more opportunities to actually go out on the water if it was in a slip($1600 per year). However, what are the draw backs of keeping it on the water all winter? Would I still need to pull it out for the coldest months? (additional cost$160 storage/$400 shinkwrap)

Does the lake freeze where you're at? If so then yes, you'll have to take it out of the water. Our lake doesn't freeze so the boats around here mostly stay in the water. Ours is on a lift so we can go out anytime and the tubes stay clean. If you do keep it in the water, make sure the motor stays down so it drains and won't freeze.

I found a cover out of Canada called NAVIGLOO. I just purchased one for are new Bennington for the winter. We are going to store the boat for the winter out of the water.We were thinking to pay for a dry storage spot 135 a month and we would be able drop the boat in the water any time we wanted to.Then I found this cover and realized the cover will cost me less then one year of winter storage and can be used year after year. Draw back is though from what I have read it will take about 15-20 to take off the cover and 1/2 hour to put back on. I would rather do that and save money in the long run since I can use the cover year after year and we are only 10 minutes away from the water anyway.

I paid for a slip this spring for 12 months. I'm planning on leaving it in the water. We can get some nice winter days, so, I'd like to get out some. Even if we have to bundle up and bring hot chocolate!! I'm looking forward to some fall cruises to look at the leaves changing color on the lake. I'm in South Carolina.

SEE, us Canadians are good for something!! Not just our Maple syrup and Hockey! Ooohhh hockey is a bit of a touchy subject right now! Haha

Derrick

I found a cover out of Canada called NAVIGLOO. I just purchased one for are new Bennington for the winter. We are going to store the boat for the winter out of the water.We were thinking to pay for a dry storage spot 135 a month and we would be able drop the boat in the water any time we wanted to.Then I found this cover and realized the cover will cost me less then one year of winter storage and can be used year after year. Draw back is though from what I have read it will take about 15-20 to take off the cover and 1/2 hour to put back on. I would rather do that and save money in the long run since I can use the cover year after year and we are only 10 minutes away from the water anyway.

Just bought my first Bennington 2275 GCW. I am considering the Navigloo for storage in my driveway during our coldest months in Southwest Washington. We get 1 or 2 snows a year and some gusty winds.

I see this thread was older, but wonder if you have some hindsight wisdom before I buy the cover? How did it hold up?

SEE, us Canadians are good for something!! Not just our Maple syrup and Hockey! Ooohhh hockey is a bit of a touchy subject right now! Haha

Derrick
Hockey is a great subject for us right now. Thanks to our Capitals!!!

Hockey is a great subject for us right now. Thanks to our Capitals!!!
Yup, the Stanley Cup is actually here in town for the parade tomorrow, Coach Barry Trotz is from Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada!! Haha he actually used to work for my father in law.

Yup, the Stanley Cup is actually here in town for the parade tomorrow, Coach Barry Trotz is from Dauphin, Manitoba, Canada!! Haha he actually used to work for my father in law.

Love Barry Trotz. Too bad they couldn't work out a deal to keep him in Washington. The Capitals should have just paid him what he wanted and deserved.......

Our lake doesn't freeze so the boats around here mostly stay in the water. Ours is on a lift so we can go out anytime and the tubes stay clean.

Carl, are you able to keep it on your lift because you have an actual boat house as opposed to a fabric canopy cover?
I like the idea of keeping the boat on a lift but unless your grandfathered in, no structural boat houses allowed.

Carl, are you able to keep it on your lift because you have an actual boat house as opposed to a fabric canopy cover?
I like the idea of keeping the boat on a lift but unless your grandfathered in, no structural boat houses allowed.

It sleeps here:

Hey Davey, none of those pictures are allowed on this site! This is supposed to be a happy place...

I wonder if I'll miss that white stuff in a couple months...
You can always check in on the weather in Howell or the road cams if you think you're missing out. Something tells me that's all in the rearview mirror and getting smaller everyday...

Back