Slip Prices Through the Roof

H2GO

Reaction score
My wife and I are seriously thinking about giving up the pontoon as we are being priced out of the market. Our local marina in Fenton Michigan just raised the slip prices up to $3000 for next season with zero amenities. They are double slips only 20 feet wide and two pontoons are jammed in so tight you can't have bumpers on both sides and they have hardly any parking. They purchased the other marina on our lake so no competition either. I don't have room to keep the trailer on my property so towing is just out of the question going back and forth between a storage facility and the lake. A very short season in Michigan just does not warrant this kind of money. Maybe justified if the marina was somewhat decent but it is just crap. I honestly think this is intentional to get people to leave as they are now advertising buy a new boat and get a free slip for a year. Seems like a business model that is not sustainable for the long term.

That is crazy. I enjoyed boating that lake but those prices are outrageous. Especially given how short the season is. Maybe You can befriend someone on the lake and pay them to dock it there. Or maybe think about keeping it on silver lake or ponemah

Sounds like where I was previously near Petoskey . We found a sub division in Indian River with their own private marina .So we bought a lot . It was less than what I would have paid for 10 years of slip rental ,and I now have an investment .

If it looks like this in the picture below (or if this is the actual place), those slips are really tight!!!!
That lake looks like its only about 3-4 miles long.

Seems like there are so many beautiful lakes around there! My wife and I have come to enjoy trailering to different lakes. We can store the boat in covered (not enclosed) storage for $100/month (enclosed with electric is $220/mo) and visit lakes all over South Texas (and recently Arkansas).

Maybe a decent trailer and covered storage is a better option?

upload_2018-11-15_9-52-54.png

Last edited:
If it looks like this (or if this is the place), those slips are really tight!!!!
That lake looks like its only about 3-4 miles long.

Seems like there are so many beautiful lakes around there! My wife and I have come to enjoy trailering to different lakes. We can store the boat in covered (not enclosed) storage for $100/month (enclosed with electric is $220/mo) and visit lakes all over South Texas (and recently Arkansas).

Maybe a decent trailer and covered storage is a better option?

Agreed...

Having the flexibility to visit multiple spots throughout a season is second to none...

I park both of my mistresses in their own cave so that they're clean and ready to go on a moments notice...

kGVbry.jpg

Ouch! I guess I'll not complain too loudly about paying $900 a season for no amenities but at least our own three sided slip. That said, Lake Fenton seems to have a reputation (deservedly or not) of being an expensive area given its location.

I truly feel for you and the decision you're going to have to make.

That is over the top rediculous pricing given our short boating season up here in Michigan. Sorry you are getting squeezed in this manner. However, some of the ideas above sound like good food for thought. I hope you can find a way to keep boating, but I’d sure understand moving on under the circumstances too.

That is over the top rediculous pricing given our short boating season up here in Michigan. Sorry you are getting squeezed in this manner. However, some of the ideas above sound like good food for thought. I hope you can find a way to keep boating, but I’d sure understand moving on under the circumstances too.
Especially since you have such a nice boat that's only 2 years old!!!

Not like this make things any better but Lake Tahoe gets 3k a year so you have your boat parked on a ball. Yep thats right NO marina just tied to a ball 3k a season.
A few places around me are saying (your paying for space all year even if you don't or cant use it) I guess the Marinas feel like they have costs weather your boat in in its space or not. Sucks I hope you can find a place to dock.

When we first moved to Lake Norman we inquired about keeping our boat in the boatel at the local Bennington dealership. It was going to be $100 a foot or $2200 a year. Then we found out that they couldn't pick my boat up with the fork lift because of the angled motor pod that our I/O sits in. So we couldn't keep it there. But it worked out for the best. Our waterfront neighbor directly across from us has 2 slips and we rent one for $50 a month.

Still cheaper than a “one week” vacation somewhere nice. I have mini vacations almost every weekend ... ;)

This is part of the reason I buy waterfront. My dock, my rules. The way I see it I can pay a slip fee, or add put those funds towards higher property taxes (which are crazy by the way down here. A story for another time)

This is part of the reason I buy waterfront. My dock, my rules. The way I see it I can pay a slip fee, or add put those funds towards higher property taxes (which are crazy by the way down here. A story for another time)
At least you have something to show for it!

Back