Slip Width

RangerMTB5

Reaction score
We just purchased a new 21 SSBXP. Long story short, we're in a community on a lake and a slip became available that we'd really like to jump on because the waiting list is long. Only issue is the width is 9'-6". With a beam of 8'-6", plus fenders, is this doable? I understand pulling it in may take some extra effort and patience, but as this is our first pontoon, I'm having a hard time understanding what the 8'-6" really means, in reference to docking space. Note this is a floating dock setup, between 2 fingers, well protected.

Thanks!

That will be really tight, but still possible. My boat house slip is 11 feet wide, but it has a lift. So, there has to be room for it too.

That will be really tight, but still possible. My boat house slip is 11 feet wide, but it has a lift. So, there has to be room for it too.

Ok, hardest part i'm trying to understand, is what part of the boat is going to be touch the dock? Is it the rubrail?

The 8’6” is the width of the deck which is the rub rail. If it’s a floating dock it should be the run rail that hits depending on the height of the dock. Once you’re in place you can always tie off using spring lines to keep the boat from hitting without fenders once docked. In otherwords tie off the starboard cleat on the boat to the finger pier on the port side of the boat and vice versa.

I had a 9'6" lift for a season. Tight but doable with practice.

Room for fenders?

The largest size is only 10’ but I guess 6” makes a difference.

With our 10' slip, there is also a 1" trim board (both sides) and a rubber bumper on each edge of the dock so it's really more like the 9'6". The boat fits ok, but it's tight if docking in the wind or rough water. I never dock with bumpers out because my lift set-up guides the boat in and is set so the boat won't float over and hit the dock. Without a lift guideing the boat in the slip I would worry the dock front edge would catch and push the bumpers back and up as you pull in. That being said a lot has to do with the water. You said community lake, well protected, so you might be okay with some flat or small round bumpers.

It was a lift that had 2x12’s and lifted the boat from the deck. This way they acted as load guides without taking up any width area. I didn’t use fenders.

that is way to small, and you would have to use the flat style bumpers, the round type bumpers will be too large. Also you would have to pull in with out the bumpers hanging down them drop them in place after you are parked.

that is way to small, and you would have to use the flat style bumpers, the round type bumpers will be too large. Also you would have to pull in with out the bumpers hanging down them drop them in place after you are parked.

Ok I was looking at the flat fenders seem interesting. Thanks.

Btw, are you the same “2fast4u” from Greenhulk?

Nothing to add that others haven’t. I wouldn’t do it, but if it is your only option, I can appreciate you wanting to try it.

Best of luck with it. I hope it works out.

I don't think you'll have a problem. I don't have a slip but I'm basing my comments on the tie up situation at our most popular bar/marina. They have a long dock with cleats on 10' 0" centers. Boats park perpendicular to the dock. When you're coming in to dock between two pontoon boats, it looks really tight. But in actuality, there is plenty of room and you won't have a problem if you creep in. If it's windy, it will be more of a challenge, but you will learn to do it. A helper near the front (inside the playpen) may be able to assist with a boat hook grabbing a cleat or gently adjusting your attitude. The key is to do this at a very slow speed. Bump the throttle in gear and then right back to neutral. Drift. Adjust steering. Use reverse the same way if necessary. Repeat.

How deep is the water? Can you jump in and walk it ? (I know just a thought) I've done it before!

Maybe the slip owner could offer some guidance on this. Ask if they have previous rented the slip for 8-6 pontoons, or possibly you could contact a local dock contractor that may have vertical style dock guides that could be used.
It is also plausible that the slip is only available because of the narrower width.
I would take a pass on it If the area of the slip is not protected, or has many discourteous boaters violating wake restrictions.

How deep is the water? Can you jump in and walk it ? (I know just a thought) I've done it before!
Outside of jumping in the water, I think you said you have finger piers, you may be able to jump onto a finger pier and walk it in.

Outside of jumping in the water, I think you said you have finger piers, you may be able to jump onto a finger pier and walk it in.

Yup, fingers on both sides. I have a couple calls out to the marina to see what the deal is. My main concern is actually not getting it into the slip, it's really securing it with fenders and having room. I'll report back when i have more info. thanks.

what is the point of having a dock if you have to get in the water to dock it, does not make sense to me.
Your right ! Actually when I had a 108 inch lift and the wind was blowing I would jump in and walk it on. Better than crashing into $hit. Got a 120 inch lift now. ( don't jump in any more)

Back