Slow Fuel

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else experiences the same issue? When filling the gas tank on pontoon with a 62 gallon tank and MerCruiser 350 the gas pump shuts off as if it is full, but it's not. After about 40 minutes of fighting with the pump, it's still not full. Have tried multiple gas stations, very frustrated, it will not allow to pump even on the slowest setting. Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wondering if anyone else experiences the same issue? When filling the gas tank on pontoon with a 62 gallon tank and MerCruiser 350 the gas pump shuts off as if it is full, but it's not. After about 40 minutes of fighting with the pump, it's still not full. Have tried multiple gas stations, very frustrated, it will not allow to pump even on the slowest setting. Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a vent problem...

My new rig fuels up like a dream But I still fuel on slow setting and have not had an issue yet.

My last boat 2007 2275 gl was a huge pain. I had the same issue as you and I found that putting the nozzle in upside down was the trick on slow or even slower by holding the handle was the only way I could fuel it with out having that problem.

Sounds like a vent problem...
I thought it sounded like a vent problem too. But I checked the fuel lines(what I could see under the rear loungers)and could not see any kinked hoses. I'm curious if it's my boat or a design flaw. Is there any way to check venting or add to it? I have had the boat to dealer and they didn't find anything. Thanks for your advice!

My new rig fuels up like a dream But I still fuel on slow setting and have not had an issue yet.

My last boat 2007 2275 gl was a huge pain. I had the same issue as you and I found that putting the nozzle in upside down was the trick on slow or even slower by holding the handle was the only way I could fuel it with out having that problem.
I will try to turn handle upside down this weekend. I'm not sure if I can with the angle of dispenser and my gas cap, but will give it a try. I have tried sticking it all the way in and pulling it almost out with no luck. I am not even close to being able to fill at slowest setting. Thanks for the advice and enjoy your new toon.

I will try to turn handle upside down this weekend. I'm not sure if I can with the angle of dispenser and my gas cap, but will give it a try. I have tried sticking it all the way in and pulling it almost out with no luck. I am not even close to being able to fill at slowest setting. Thanks for the advice and enjoy your new toon.
Hi Liquid, Sorry for your trouble. This sounds like a venting issue...you are "gulping air" as you fill the tank. Please contact your dealer for help! Thanks, TB

TB, my experience is just the opposite. the fill hole is small and the new style fuel nozzles are so sensitive to air pressure that the vented air causes it to kick the nozzle out. I think the location of the vent in the fill neck is the problem and thats why I had better luck fueling it up with the fill nozzle upside down to get the vent sense hole in the nozzle further away from the vent hole.I still had to fuel it slowly but it solved the problem of kicking the nozzle off continuously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Liquid, Sorry for your trouble. This sounds like a venting issue...you are "gulping air" as you fill the tank. Please contact your dealer for help! Thanks, TB
TB thanks for the quick response. I plan on contacting my dealer again to let them know the problem still exists. I have had it in to the dealer to look at it with no success. My dealer is located 2 hours away, so dropping the boat off isn't convenient. Love the boat, but hate to bring it back and let it sit, if they don't know what to do. Could you tell me or them how to solve my issue? Is this just an issue with my boat or a known problem that can be fixed? Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
TB thanks for the quick response. I plan on contacting my dealer again to let them know the problem still exists. I have had it in to the dealer to look at it with no success. My dealer is located 2 hours away, so dropping the boat off isn't convenient. Love the boat, but hate to bring it back and let it sit, if they don't know what to do. Could you tell me or them how to sholve my issue? Is this just an issue with my boat or a known problem that can be fixed? Thanks again for your help!
Mention a one-way flapper valve to your dealer and have him contact us prior to you taking the boat back. Sorry for the inconvenience and distance issue. :(

Mention a one-way flapper valve to your dealer and have him contact us prior to you taking the boat back. Sorry for the inconvenience and distance issue. :(
I forgot to mention that last winter the dealer had the boat and did install the one way valve you are referring to. It did keep me from getting a face full of gas every time the pump shut off, but did absolutely nothing to speed up filling. Thanks for advise ready for step two!

I have this problem quite often on my 2008 2275RL. The vent line is routed to the top of thefuel fill. I think the vent pressure and the small fill opening is causing the problem. I'm considering on disconnecting the existing fill and rigging a different setup.

I would say it's definitely your fuel vent line, we had a gas station for about 5-6 years, hated those vehicles!! Haha but more so on the -45*C days! Remember, I live in Canada!! Haha as for fixing it, not sure what you do, but it can be fixed. I know in some dodges, they had to drop the tank to get to it, no fricken idea how you'd do it with a boat! Good luck.

Back