Small Engine Envy

spinzone

Reaction score
I wanted to share some info on fuel economy as gas prices were $4.89 at the marina this past week. Went to the lake with two other couples and we all filled up at the same marina with the same fuel. We decided to go to dinner exactly 22.0 miles from our dock and measure the amount of fuel burned by each boat on the round trip.

24’ Avalon Pontoon Tri-hull Yamaha 225 – average speed 29.8mph – 21 gallons fuel/ $104.51 to refuel.

20’ Caravelle runabout 5.0L – average speed 36.5mph (no GPS) – 26 gallons fuel/ $129.70 to refuel.

2011 Benny RCW Mercury 115 – average speed 19.6 mph – 14 gallons fuel/ $64.29 to refuel.

Needless to say, that was one expensive cheeseburger!

I wanted to share some info on fuel economy as gas prices were $4.89 at the marina this past week. Went to the lake with two other couples and we all filled up at the same marina with the same fuel. We decided to go to dinner exactly 22.0 miles from our dock and measure the amount of fuel burned by each boat on the round trip.

24’ Avalon Pontoon Tri-hull Yamaha 225 – average speed 29.8mph – 21 gallons fuel/ $104.51 to refuel.

20’ Caravelle runabout 5.0L – average speed 36.5mph (no GPS) – 26 gallons fuel/ $129.70 to refuel.

2011 Benny RCW Mercury 115 – average speed 19.6 mph – 14 gallons fuel/ $64.29 to refuel.

Needless to say, that was one expensive cheeseburger!
It would be interesting to know what the gallons used would be if all three boats went the same speed for that trip. The bigger engines may not have been so "fuelish" if not maintaining from 50% to 90% higher speeds. The point being the guy with a big engine may be able to be more economical if not in such a hurry. Of course, that does not describe me, I would rather be the first one there. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And I admit, we were WAY behind. I understand the comparison is not a valid one however, I had about $250 more in beer money than they did!

I'll trade you my 50hp Yamaha for your 115hp Mercury ANY TIME YOU WANT! :p :D

Eric - not sure I'd go that far! I wish I had the extra $15k+ to afford the ESP with the big 300hp monsters, so I had to see the optimistic side of my situation. :)

Spin, I can see your an optimistic kind of person. I enjoy being around people like you.

I think you got it right. And, at 20mph I think the 115 would be the lowest in consumption.. That's why I picked my setup. I could have gone with a 250 with ESP. Then I would just go faster and burn a bunch more fuel..... ;)

I to would like to know how much gas the biggest V8 would suck down compaired to a 50 hp outboard @ idle.

We spend most of our time at idle with breif blasts up to 40+ mph.

Im guessing each trip out we burn 5 gallons and we go just over 20 miles.

Does anyone know if bennington offers GPH results

And $4.89 a gallon gas is the reason why I trailer my Benny instead of renting a slip. Although I had to purchase more fuel while on the lake a few weeks ago, I paid $3.99 a gallon. I guess it is good to be in Texas.

Will

I to would like to know how much gas the biggest V8 would suck down compaired to a 50 hp outboard @ idle.

If you have a Yamaha google Yamaha performance bulletins there is a nice chart. The reason we went with the 20SLI with a 50 hp was we use the pontoon for cruising. Our river tends to be shallow at times depending on the agency that controls the levels. so the lighter the better. If we want speed we go to our 185 hp Seadoo. ;) The first time we filled up I thought the gauge was broken because it didn't move until our 3rd cruise. :D

Maybe we can get a little close...

Yamaha Engine...70hp.........300hp

1000rpm...........0.3gph.......1.2gph

1500rpm...........0.5gph.......2.0gph

5700rpm...........5.6gph

5800rpm........................26.2gph

Obviously speeds are not equal, but those are fuel usage reports from Yamaha on Bennington pontoons...

You say that like it's a bad thing... B)
Well we all like to have fun,,,,but,,,,I want to retire some day. If speed is that important, I would get a 36' Formula with twin 502s in it. Oh and friends can find their own ride up the lake.... :p

I've got a 90 Yamaha on a 2050FSI and I've been averaging 2.3 gph turning in the 5000rpm range. The most i've burned was 3.2gph but that was with a full load of people, rough water, and trying to pull a tube.

I slip my boat 30 miles from my house. Yes, I pay more for my dock fuel, but being able to drive to my boat in my family car instead of towing

every tie I go up which is 2-3 times a week, I far out save the money that would have been spent towing with the Expedition. Not to mention the hassle of launching and recovering

the boat.

I'm lucky. I can walk to my marina. Unless I'm carrying a bunch of stuff of course. Also, the owner doesn't gouge on gasoline.

Be aware of something else...

Marine gas has a different formulation than automotive gas. Most importantly, it doesn't contain ethanol.

Now personally, I like ethanol. I REALLY like E-85, because it lets you bolt an 8-71 Roots blower to a 9:1 compression big block Chevy and pound a full extra atmosphere of air into your engine.

BUT.... Ethanol IS corrosive. Your ENTIRE fuel system must be certified for it or you should not use it at all. Bad JuJu.

And finally...

If you price out the difference per fillup, thus discovering how much money you're saving with all that extra fuss, you MIGHT decide to change your mind. Or not. Free will and all that... B)

Ericscher, My marine mechanic told me to never use automotive gas unless I wanted to see him more often. It's worth the extra $1.00 a gallon to me for piece of mind.

With the EPA pushing 20% ethanol blends, things will only get worse.

Here is what I was able to find from Mercury Marine's engineers. If they are cautious about 10% ethanol, I think I'll continue to avoid it altogether!

http://www.ejmertaughboatworks.com/ethanol.pdf

I'll jump in here, just 'cause i like spirited debate! Ethanol is a bad thing, if your fuel system was not designed for it, and i agree, that ethanol is not good for boat motors. What i have to question is your mechanics statement. Unless we are talking aviation or race fuels, automotive fuel is all that's left. Fuels are blended for different reigons, mostly based on climate and E.P.A. air quality studies. Many additives play into this, including ethanol, and most states do not require disclosure of ethanol content at the pump, if it is 10% or less. If your mechanic/marina can provide certified documentation of their fuels composition, then that is a valid statement, if not, then you don't really know what you're getting, and he may just be trying to boost fuel sales. Again, i only replied in good hearted banter, and feel everyone needs to make their own choice on fuel, but most consumers don't really know what they are getting. Ask questions, read your manufacturers recommendations, and make your choice based on that information. Personally, i buy fuel before i get to the lake, it's cheaper in town! :D

Marine gas is another specialized blend.

I should probably mention that there's nothing stopping a vendor from selling automotive gasoline at his marina. If he doesn't call it "Marine Gasoline" then he's not breaking the law.

Still, that's not a lot of extra profit for the lawsuit risk.

I enjoy good spirited debate as well. I'm not scientifically savvy so take this for what it is. My marine mechanic never sold fuel so he had no dog in the fuel debate other than to forewarn me as he's my dad's mechanic (7 boats). Automotive gasoline, as I refer to it, is the gasoline blend with up to 10% ethanol sold at gas stations on the way to the lake. The marinas at our lake advertise 100% gasoline only. 100% gasoline is worth the extra $1.00 a gallon in my book.

Back