Some thoughts after a couple of weekends...

Chris Z

Reaction score
Well, now that I've had a chance to spend a couple of up close and personal weekends with the new boat I have some things I'd like to share. I'll start with the good.

The elliptical pontoons with strakes are a great combo. Particularly when mated with the F150 on my G22. Speed is excellent, with about 4 hours on the motor I've been able to poke it to WOT briefly and am seeing a pleasing 38 mph (GPS) at about 5800 rpm. That's with three people and a 3/4 tank full of fuel. There's room to grow a bit as the motor continues to loosen up. Oh, and that's with the motor hung on hole #2 and spinning a Yam black stainless prop, 14 3/4 x 15.

The solidity and smoothness of the boat is really amazing. And the authority that engine trim has over the running attitude is much better than I thought it would be.

I had the opportunity to poke my nose outside of the sand dunes onto Lake Ontario on Saturday. With a stiff breeze out of the north we were seeing 2 to 3 foot rollers off the beaches. Ride was dry and manageable though I wouldn't want to spend an extended amount of time out there. Once again, I was happily surprised.

Fit and finish has so far been good. I've been detailing the boat and everything appears to be correct. The stereo would certainly benefit from the addition of a sub-woofer but for the most part it sounds fine.

Two stand out additions are the co-captains lounge and the ottoman with built in cooler. I was really impressed with the insulating abilities of that little cooler and the co-captains lounge is everyone's favorite seat on the boat.

On the down side I wish I was happier with the helm. If anything doesn't live up to the solidity of the rest of the boat it's right there. The glass they used is not thick enough and while it looks great, grab the wheel in a supportive way and you will feel the flex. The helm on my last boat was almost bullet proof, the glass was so thick. When I had the wheel in my hands there wasn't a hint of flex or the feeling that if you pulled a bit too hard it would break off in your hands. The Benny, not so much.

I have the fill seat that you can move from one gate to the other. It's a great feature and unfortunately, as it has been mentioned here before, the upholsterer couldn't really figure out a good clean way to attach the material to the underside of the seat without using 5 times too many staples all on the edge in a way that they drag along on the floor. I absolutely can see where this could scratch a hard surface and though I have carpeting I think that the bottom seat edges should be finished in a better way.

All in all, those are the two gripes. One is fixable, the other one is a design issue that I wouldn't have expected from a premium boat builder.

Over all, the boat is wonderful. It is doing precisely what I was hoping it would do and I think I'm going to enjoy it for a long time. But then you never know.... ;-)

Sorry for all the words but it was time to share some of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have to look at the bottom of my gate seat again .

I checked before after reading about "Wild and Free's " issue .I didn't notice  anything  out of the ordinary on mine .

I am  sure if the staples can scratch a vinyl floor they could also snag a carpet .

I'll snap a picture of mine a post it. It was almost amusing.

Chris, if it's that bad, I would recommend getting with the dealer and getting it replaced BEFORE it does damage something (snag and pull a runner in the carpet). I remember pics of one in another post and it was actually sad it made it out the door. The staples were across the bottom, instead of where the vinyl could have been stapled in the indentation underneath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are pleased with your boat Chris.  In case others are looking to build a boat and want info; I have the Next generation elevated Helm and love it, some of the neighbors think it looks star trekky. 

Glad you are pleased with your boat Chris.  In case others are looking to build a boat and want info; I have the Next generation elevated Helm and love it, some of the neighbors think it looks star trekky. 
Now I have a question Mark .

Yours if I am am not mistaken is a 2012 . I have seen in places that the 2014 also has  " next generation helm " . Is this a next generation beyond the 2012 & 2013 or are still just using that phrase ?

No complaints ,I like mine just curious .

Nice review Chris. I know what you mean about the helm flex. Good suggestion for improvement. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it on here, but I agree it could be made stiffer.

Chris, if it's that bad, I would recommend getting with the dealer and getting it replaced BEFORE it does damage something (snag and pull a runner in the carpet). I remember pics of one in another post and it was actually sad it made it out the door. The staples were across the bottom, instead of where the vinyl could have been stapled in the indentation underneath.
This is good advice. It's pretty silly looking, someone just stapled and stapled all on the edge that contacts the floor. I'll give my dealer al call and have him look into a fix or replacement.

Mark,

The elevated helm was available without opting for the "Next Generation" layout when I ordered my G. I didn't look closely at the Next Gen helm at the boat show. I think they're standard on the R and Q. At this point I would be curious to see if they were any stouter in construction.

Mine on the RCW seems fairly stable .

Not even any rattles with the sub woofer, which I was concerned about .

When I bought my boat the elevated helm was an option.  I just looked at the build your boat and elevated helm is an option on both G and R series however the picture of the G looks different than the picture of the R

NO rattles here on my Q series I put a 10" THX certified sub w/ enclosure in the helm.  Put 200 watts to it, turned it up louder than I would EVER want, and no rattles  :D

Mine on the RCW seems fairly stable .

Not even any rattles with the sub woofer, which I was concerned about .
Nothing is rattling, it's just a bit flimsy if you grab the wheel and pull yourself up. Also, how about the access door to the under-helm storage. Come on now, I think milk jugs might be made of thicker plastics.   :rolleyes:

You might want to get some screw-on or "tack-on" rubber feet for the underside of your portable seat.  These would lift the seat high enough to eliminate the risk of snagging your carpet.

What are you guys referring to when you say "next gen helm"?

Are you referring to a R/Q helm on a G boat?

If so, I have never heard of or seen that.

I some areas on the build page they state "Next generation helm " on the R's

great new bpat review. I am just about to go down and sign on the dotted line but after 60 years of conventional boating am so confused that I have postponed closing the deal. Never had a pontoon but am ready to sell my Searay amberjack and spend the rest of my boating with a pontoon boat in Estero bay. The confusion comes in with all the models and this model something is optional then on another it's included and on and on. I really like the G with the bar but then there is the slxbr with a bar?? can't seem to get any answers as to why one and not the other. configured online equally there is only about a $2000 difference. I am also not familiar with what dealers will discount off of MSRP. When it comes to a car I can usually get the best price but I haven't bought a new boat since 1985. I would really like any help I can get. The only thing I feel was a good decision was the elliptical salt water package offered by Bennington. thanks again and enjoy your boat.

Gabbiano, I also was confused when buying a boat and there are soooo many options.  The models go from the entry to the top; S - G - R - Q.  Make no mistake the S is a fine quality boat.  We have all gone through the confusion and definitely wondered am I doing the right thing?  Bottom line they are Benningtons.  Every dealer determines what he will give off MSRP, I am sure this is effected by distance, the number of boats he sells and his own business model of what he has to do to stay in business.  Others have shopped dealers far away in order to get the lowest possible price but have been burned when they need service.  Narrow your choice down to a few boats equipped as you desire and then go in there and negotiate.

Many of us, myself included have done this and then at the last second ended up purchasing from the dealers stock as they felt they received the best deal that way.  However, be careful because to add later on is extremely more expensive.

In the end, if you pay $2000 more over the next 10 years that is only $200/year and you will gladly pay that for all the years of enjoyment to and your family will have over that time period so jump in and sign on the dotted line, post pictures like a proud father/grandfather and don't forget to pin your location on the Bennington Owners Locator Map [my personal plug :D ]

thanks a lot commodore. never having had a pontoon before I hope you can understand my dilemma. I have been boating on Long Island for over 65 years but now do my boating in Florida. I have a 27ft searay amberjack in florida and want to get into a pontoon. Lots of low water down here (my boat draws 30 inches) and I don't go that far offshore anymore. I went for a ride in a rental Bennington yesterday. It was really was pretty beat up but the ride was great. Definitely told me I need some kind of assisted steering. The rental was hard to steer. Thanks for the encouragement for me to make the leap., Enjoy your boat

Back