Sony MDX-M60UI

4dakids

Reaction score
Hi Folks. I have a 2012 R25 (2575 RCWCP) with the Sony MDX-M60UI stereo and 6 Kicker speakers, which is the stock system. Looking to upgade this system and looking for thoughts and experiences. I'm thinking Bazooka tube subs at each end of the boat driven off one mono amp. Maybe also add an amp for the 6 speakers. Have not decided whether to put the amps under the console or under the rear lounger with the changing station (don't need the changing station).

Also, does anyone know how the 6 speakers are driven from this stock head unit? As the head unit does not have enough channels to drive 6 speakers (I checked the Sony manual). Maybe Bennington cheated and spliced in more speakers into a single channel.

Thanks for the help.

Derrick ,would be the expert on this .

Here is the wet sounds site which Bennington now offers .

http://wetsounds.com/

Bennington does a single AS-10 self powered sub under the helm and and an HT4 amp to power the 6 speakers. Yes the 2 are spliced in and run at 2 ohms, which is fine. I would definitely recommend sticking with Wet Sounds as they make a phenomenal product. I opted to keep most of my electronics under the helm as it for one is easier to squeeze speaker wire through tight spaces than RCA cables for the amps. Also because it is a dryer area that has room to spare, especially in the R series console. I LOVE my XS-650 RGB's. They have a great sound and can handle lots of power, but if you don't want to change the Kickers, putting power to them should make a big difference also. I went with the Syndicate series amps for my setup. Just for the higher output and I was able to get them pretty reasonable price wise. I will say, and many can comment from their own experience, that single AS-10 hits hard! You didn't mention battery configuration, I assume you have the duals, if not, you will want them! Feel free to ask away, lots of people chipped in with answers to my million questions when I was building mine!!

Thanks Derrick. We bought the boat last September and it immediately went into shrink wrap. Waiting for the ice to thaw now to take delivery. From looking at it on the showroom floor, I do not recall seeing any amps inside the console (I crawled in there to take some pics of the back of the Sony head unit). Are you aware if the Wet Sounds were part of an upgrade package - and not stock on all R25's? The dealer did not say that the boat had any type of upgraded factory system. Thanks again

The "wet sounds " are an upgrade .

Speakers and Sub & Amp two separate items .

I ordered them on mine this year .

From the build site .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Boat-Builder.php?id=712

(NEW) Illuminated Wet Sounds Speaker Upgrade (6)

Stereo - Amp/Sub Wet Sounds Stereo Enhancement includes Wet Sounds 4 Channel Amp and 10 inch Subwoofer. Dual battery recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Derrick. We bought the boat last September and it immediately went into shrink wrap. Waiting for the ice to thaw now to take delivery. From looking at it on the showroom floor, I do not recall seeing any amps inside the console (I crawled in there to take some pics of the back of the Sony head unit). Are you aware if the Wet Sounds were part of an upgrade package - and not stock on all R25's? The dealer did not say that the boat had any type of upgraded factory system. Thanks again
Yes sorry, I meant to say that was what they use for the upgrade. It is well worth doing if you like to listen to music. Some could care less!  Haha, I have a couple ideas of things I'd like to add, not sure if I can scrounge up enough money or forgiveness from my wife for it this coming season, may have to wait.

Derrick ,isn't there a post of your system here ?

I was looking for it,I must have looked under  the wrong heading .

Also where do they put the Sub ?

Thanks .

Hmm, there are lots of questions and stuff by me, maybe not a specific post saying "Bulldogs Boom Boom" here is a link to my gallery that shows some pics of everything in.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/album/367-2014-rcw-sport-tower/

Oh and the sub goes under the helm. Tell your dealer you want it mounted far back under the helm so you still have usable space under there. Some are mounted right at the door, I'd rather have the space for my cooler!

Hmm, there are lots of questions and stuff by me, maybe not a specific post saying "Bulldogs Boom Boom" here is a link to my gallery that shows some pics of everything in.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/album/367-2014-rcw-sport-tower/

Oh and the sub goes under the helm. Tell your dealer you want it mounted far back under the helm so you still have usable space under there. Some are mounted right at the door, I'd rather have the space for my cooler!
If it goes " Boom" as much as you say does it rattle the helm ?

Can it be shut down independently of the rest of the stereo  ?

Thanks 

Thanks Derrick .

I had no idea that the dealer did that much of the installations .

Its like everyday I find out the dealer does more and more assembly .

Thanks again 

If you turn it up it will, then again if you turn it right up everything will!!! Haha jk, it is good and yes you can adjust it separately. When I originally talked to Tim at Wet Sounds he told me that when they first installed it they had it turned up and it blew the helm door open! So they turned it down a bit. Haha

If you turn it up it will, then again if you turn it right up everything will!!! Haha jk, it is good and yes you can adjust it separately. When I originally talked to Tim at Wet Sounds he told me that when they first installed it they had it turned up and it blew the helm door open! So they turned it down a bit. Haha
Now ,have I have to figure out ,the First song to turn up at the Sand Bar .  :lol:

Raise your Weapon - Deadmau5

Great song to put stuff to the limits.

I must say though, I am waiting to hear how the bass is on Dark Horse by Katy Perry, I know, I know, Katy Perry? But hey, it hits pretty good in the Caddy when it comes on satellite radio

Maybe I can find Sir-Mix -Alot  :lol:

That should have some thump 

Dr. Dre !

I have an entire list I am thinking about.

Five Dinger Death Punch, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park ....

Dr. Dre !
I would love to see you cruise up to a restaurant blasting dr. Dre Carl!

I have an old bass explosion cd that would make my wife's chest hurt in my car when we first met...got rid of the system shortly after.

Spoke to the dealer yesterday . They do install them as far back as possible .

Any other suggestions ?They are in the set up & rigging process now .

Thanks 

Spoke to the dealer yesterday . They do install them as far back as possible .

Any other suggestions ?They are in the set up & rigging process now .

Thanks 
There really isn't anything else, make sure all the LED's light up in all the speakers, but there isn't much else the dealer does as far as stereo goes.

Back