Sony Stereo Radio With Mega Bass Feature-Sounds Incredible!

Okay, so I ordered and received my new Sony MEX-XB100BT radio. Thanks to all for the great lead. Now a couple of questions, I have a 2013 SSRX with the factory radio mounted to the left of the steering wheel with a closing lid.  Does anyone know how to remove the old radio?  Can I use the tools that came with the new radio to remove it?  I have only had the boat a few weeks and have not spent much time looking inside the helm.  The boat is at the marina in the water so I'm trying to gather as much information and tools as I can before I head over to install the new toy.  Thanks in advance,

Jeff

The New raido will come with a couple metal extractors. You remove the plastic trim piece and the insert the metal extractors on either side of the raido and they will relice the old raido. (Try it out on your new raido first) you will see how it works plus you need to take out the original metal cage out anyways. The new raido doesn't work with the orignal raido cage.

Has anyone found a cable that will connect the new raido to the orignal X-60 remotes

Has anyone found a correct adapter plug for connecting the control harness plug to this Sony Mega Bass radio in a late year Bennington helm console radio wiring harness? Not a deal killer, just saves a little bit of installation time and makes for a cleaner install. It's easy enough to splice the connector to the new plug, took my installer about 10 minutes. The speaker plug works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed one of these MEX-XB100BT radios in the boat this past weekend. A great inexpensive way to up the stereo system. Splicing factory pig tail to radios pig tail took 15 min. and change out another half hour. Sound absolutely great with the factory kicker speaker system. As far as a non marine head, I just removed a plastic shield off the old radio and installed it on the new unit. By the way, old unit was the marine Sony supplied by Bennington. :D

I also replaced the factory Sony radio with the Sony MEX-XB100BT last year. It continues to amaze with excellent sound quality. The factory Kicker speakers are a very good match. Adding a sub woofer to this setup is really not necessary, the bass is that good. This setup makes a great boat even more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have to pull the trigger one of these days. We have the kicker speakers but they don't sound good with my current sony m6. I thought Dan was going to install his and give a review with video as well.

That's one of my few gripes about the new generation R helm. It locks you into a proprietary Sony remote/head unit, as it's literally molded into the dash as shown.

If you go to Crutchfield and look at Marine Audio and then remotes, you'll see a Kenwood and I believe a Clarion that is the same size.  I have the Kenwood on my boat; the head unit is in the glove box, and I have Kenwood remotes, like the Sony, by the captain's chair and at the stern of the boat.  It works really well.  As for my speakers, if you really want some awesome sound, I would highly recommend going with the JL Audio M (not MX) series.  I have 8 in my boat along with two JL amplifiers.  Everyone at our spot loves it.  I end up playing DJ half of the day. :)

Audio is subjective, so no offense to anyone with other brands of speakers or head units.    B)

I've included a link below.  There are several more models than I mentioned.  

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_338450/Marine-Remotes.html?tp=61747&pg=2

If you go to Crutchfield and look at Marine Audio and then remotes, you'll see a Kenwood and I believe a Clarion that is the same size.  I have the Kenwood on my boat; the head unit is in the glove box, and I have Kenwood remotes, like the Sony, by the captain's chair and at the stern of the boat.  It works really well.  As for my speakers, if you really want some awesome sound, I would highly recommend going with the JL Audio M (not MX) series.  I have 8 in my boat along with two JL amplifiers.  Everyone at our spot loves it.  I end up playing DJ half of the day. :)

Audio is subjective, so no offense to anyone with other brands of speakers or head units.    B)

I've included a link below.  There are several more models than I mentioned.  

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_338450/Marine-Remotes.html?tp=61747&pg=2

Thanks. I didn't know that and it's great to know there are some options!

Thanks. I didn't know that and it's great to know there are some options!

You're very welcome TomS.  Please don't feel stuck with the audio options that Bennington offers.  Unless you buy one of their very expensive boats, the audio upgrades they offer are minimum.  It would be better to get the basic audio system and then have a reputable audio shop customize your stereo for your needs or wants. :)    In comparison, the prices of a local audio shop doing the work are, in most case and depending on your wants, cheaper and much better sounding than factory.

Tooncrazy. Does your helm have the usb port in the dash? Mine does so with the xb100bt that port would be rendered useless given the lack of a usb port on the back of the head unit. Am I correct?

My stock Sony died this past week on vacation. My fault. You can't leave the weather shield open in the rain. Ooops. I have been wanting to upgrade, now I have to.

Brian

The Sony Mex 100 head unit has a USB port under a small cover on the head unit face.

Thanks TC. That's what it looked like. Hate having a useless port/hole in my dash. May have to look at another option.

Hey I thought I would check back in and see if anyone has found a Remote to replace the remote on the dash that came factory. Is their a remote people have found that works with the Sony MEX XB BT1000

I may have answered my own question. I even found a review in Amazon where a guy said he has the same Headunit as I'm asking about the Sony MEX XB100BT. 

They state that this remote works with that head unit Sony RMX-11 remote 

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=83282

the only down side seems to be this remote shows up on some websites as discontinued? I bought one and it will be here next week I will report back

My Remote showed up. It's much smaller then the Stock Sony I hope it covers up the footprint of the Orignal Sony. Worst case I have to make a cover or trim plate.

Hey I thought I would check back in and see if anyone has found a Remote to replace the remote on the dash that came factory. Is their a remote people have found that works with the Sony MEX XB BT1000

Yes. Bluetooth and a cell phone.

Yes your right But I don't know if you have found this to be true, if you have control of the stereos volume you have a much wider volume range. Example if you turn your phone up to 75% of max and then Use your head units volume you can go from Off to full output with a remote Vs the other way around

I got my new remote and IT Dosent Work. 

I see that Sony has some software upgrades for my Headunit. I was wondering if the software could possibly fix my remote issues???? O well I'm just gonna return it.

The one thing not good about the Sony MEX XB BT100 is the faceplate screen info is not readable
in direct sunlight. However the marine version, Sony MEX XB MBT1OO, is easily readable in direct sunlight and has been UV treated for longevity.

This is my third season with with this fantastic radio and I'm still a huge fan. You gotta hear it to believe it. $268 on Amazon.com

I bought one a couple years ago too. They are a lot better than the stock radio (which isn't saying much since it's junk) but the new one has a lot of power. 6.5 inch speakers will only put out so much bass though. Still, for an older boat, the other features are a big plus too. Like a USB to play mp3s off a memory stick, Bluetooth, and being satellite radio ready.

I think I got mine for $199 and it included a $40 satellite radio antenna and free subscription for 3 months. Amazon. Use Camel Camel Camel to monitor the Amazon price.

Note that mine is not the marine version.

Last edited:
Back