Spare prop

prd2hnt

Reaction score
I have an old aluminum prop off a Merc I/O. It is 21 pitch. I know that is too much prop for the Benny. Any reason a shouldn't change out the hub and use it for a spare just to get us off the lake in an emergency?

Brian

it makes sense for a low cost solution

I would do that.  Just don't push the motor with a prop that's too big if you ever use it.  I carry a spare prop and hub.

For others reading this, if you can only afford only one or the other, I would go with the spare hub only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I struggle with the "spare" prop concept. When I remove my prop (and I did this past weekend to grease up the hub), I use a 3/4" drive breaker bar that's 24" long. Plus one needs something to pry back the locking "gizmo" and a block of wood.

Do people actually carry these tools around with them?

I once bought a prop holder to secure a spare in the engine room of my big boat along with a plastic prop wrench. That broke the first time I tried to use it.

Do people actually motor to shallow water to change out a damaged prop?

I guess I don't really do the kind of boating that exposes me to the risk of damaging a prop to the degree that I couldn't limp back to the ramp. All seems like a giant PITA to me.

That said, I do have a spare prop, but the only time I would use it would be if my damaged prop was off to be repaired and I really needed to be on the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree goldn. Just had the prop on the shelf and figured I might as well have it in a usable form.

This year has been eye opening to me as our lake water has been very clear and has revealed many hidden stumps and trees left over when the lake was created. I've since changed my route when making a lap. So sometimes boating in shallow water isn't avoidable. if I ever caused that much damage I would just get a tow in. If I ever went to big water it shouldn't be an issue hitting something.

I struggle with the "spare" prop concept. When I remove my prop (and I did this past weekend to grease up the hub), I use a 3/4" drive breaker bar that's 24" long. Plus one needs something to pry back the locking "gizmo" and a block of wood.

Do people actually carry these tools around with them?

I once bought a prop holder to secure a spare in the engine room of my big boat along with a plastic prop wrench. That broke the first time I tried to use it.

Do people actually motor to shallow water to change out a damaged prop?

I guess I don't really do the kind of boating that exposes me to the risk of damaging a prop to the degree that I couldn't limp back to the ramp. All seems like a giant PITA to me.

That said, I do have a spare prop, but the only time I would use it would be if my damaged prop was off to be repaired and I really needed to be on the boat!

I also carry a spare tire in my vehicles. :D   It takes space and adds weight, but it's nice to have when I do need it. I tore up my prop on the third time out with my boat. I limped over to the sand bar and changed out the prop. It would have been a very painfully long ride back to the ramp, going about 3 MPH on the river. Boat was vibrating extremely bad while getting to the sand bar. I went and bought a new SS prop and kept the new alum. for the spare. I also have the socket and long handle wrench on the boat at all times.

Back