Speed & Length

MikeOnTheLake

Reaction score
First post here, but I've been reading posts on this forum for a while now. I've owned boats for over 30 years and am trying to decide on what the next phase in my boating life will be and am seriously considering a Bennington pontoon. I won't be buying this year and plan to take my time researching and deciding what I want.

I went to my local dealer today to look at Bennington's and learn more about the boats. When I asked the sales guy about performance he told me any of the tritoons with a Yamaha 150 would run 39 to 40 mph with 3 guys and a full tank of gas. How true is that? The boats I was looking at on their showroom floor were G series 23 and 24 tritoons and an SX 23. All with the SPS option and Yamaha F150's.

Also, would the total length of a 22 SSRX Fastback with 150 or 175 hp motor be 27 feet or less? The roof over my dock covers 27 1/2 feet and I prefer to have the entire boat, including motor, under the roof.

Thanks and I've already learned quite a bit from the posts on this forum.

Mike

Ask him to fill one up and bring some friends .The S models will weight less the G's
I have an 2375 RCW with the SPS with a Merc 150 ,the arch I have is a lot of added weight . Clean toons ,half a tank ,my wife and I .We can get to 38 .

Last edited:
Jack your R is quite a bit heavier I would think that he could break into the low 40s even with three guys on board.

I have a 2275RL with a Yamaha115; same size as the 150) and measured from the very front of the pontoon to the back tip of the motor in the down position is 26' 10". I do not have any extended deck

Link,
Is the 2275RL 22' without the motor and if so are you saying that the Yamaha adds 4'10" or am I wrong about the total length of your boat? I am trying to figure max length to get into my dock and under my Touchless.

The LOA for each model is listed on the build site

Jack,
I am aware of that and that is why I posted. Given that the 2275 is 22' as listed in the new catalogs and Link's boat is 26'10" with outboard then the Yamaha outboard is 4'10" from front to back and I have a yamaha 150 and it is not near that...

On mine ,a 2014 RCW the deck extends past the length of the toons . On the new one ( 2018 ) the toons extended past the deck .I am waiting to see how they build the 19's

My 2014 2275RCW with Yamaha 250 SHO was 26' 10.5" from the tip of the toon to the back of the motor. I did not have the extended front deck.

Oldchuck, the LOA on a 2275 RCW is actually 24.1" if my memory serves me correctly, without the motor.

22' is the length of the tubes. Deck and motor are extra. Our boat fits under the dock but the sun still moves and rain doesn't always come straight down.

Derrick & Carl,
Thanks for the info. I was looking in the Bennington catalog and it lists the boat length with NO engine of the 21 as 22' and the pontoon length as 20'4". This for me is critical because I do not want to build a new dock house and get a new Touchless. If I can rely on the 21' with no engine and add the dimensions of the motor from front to back then I should be at the running length. If that is the case then I am fine as I have a tad over 24' to play with. I was just trying to make sure.

Derrick & Carl,
Thanks for the info. I was looking in the Bennington catalog and it lists the boat length with NO engine of the 21 as 22' and the pontoon length as 20'4". This for me is critical because I do not want to build a new dock house and get a new Touchless. If I can rely on the 21' with no engine and add the dimensions of the motor from front to back then I should be at the running length. If that is the case then I am fine as I have a tad over 24' to play with. I was just trying to make sure.

Which model, specifically, are you getting that spec on? Everyone is a little different
Screenshot_20180722-135804_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180722-135933_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180722-140145_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180722-140251_Chrome.jpg

And these don't have motors on them

Derrick & Carl,

Here's what I think I've figured out about overall length on the various models/configurations. If you are interested in a pontoon with the extended aft deck, look at the overall length of the same model without the extended aft deck. I believe this will show overall length from the very front, to the end of the transom. If you look at the overall length of the same model with the aft deck configuration, it will show a longer overall length due to the swim ladder that sticks out past the transom on the aft deck configurations. To determine total length with the motor, add your motor length to the configuration without the aft deck.

Of course, I could be all wet!

Ask him to fill one up and bring some friends .The S models will weight less the G's
I have an 2375 RCW with the SPS with a Merc 150 ,the arch I have is a lot of added weight . Clean toons ,half a tank ,my wife and I .We can get to 38 .

Thanks Jack! Seems like 39 - 40 with a light load on an SX 22 with a 150 would be possible.

By the way, I lived in Petoskey for a year in 70/71. My Dad was stationed there his last year in the Air Force before he retired. I learned the real meaning of winter and snow when I was there!

Jack your R is quite a bit heavier I would think that he could break into the low 40s even with three guys on board.

I have a 2275RL with a Yamaha115; same size as the 150) and measured from the very front of the pontoon to the back tip of the motor in the down position is 26' 10". I do not have any extended deck

Link, thanks and good info. If I do decide to go with the 22 SSRX I don't think I'll have any concerns about length.

My 2014 2275RCW with Yamaha 250 SHO was 26' 10.5" from the tip of the toon to the back of the motor. I did not have the extended front deck.

Oldchuck, the LOA on a 2275 RCW is actually 24.1" if my memory serves me correctly, without the motor.

Bulldogs, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your boat easily goes over 40!

You should easily get to 40 with an S and a 150 .Our 1st Bennington was a 2013 22 SLX ,2 toons ,wave shield and a 90 Merc ,we were able to get to 28-29
We have only been in Petoskey since 04 ,I think it was the 2013-14 season we got well over 220 inches of snow .Last season we had 35 below temps for few days .It does take some getting used to .
Thanks Jack! Seems like 39 - 40 with a light load on an SX 22 with a 150 would be possible.

By the way, I lived in Petoskey for a year in 70/71. My Dad was stationed there his last year in the Air Force before he retired. I learned the real meaning of winter and snow when I was there!

Derrick,
Thanks for the model breakdown.
Looking at the SSRX which lists LOA at a tad shy of 22'. It lists the deck length as 20'6" and pontoon length at 20'4". Given that the LOA is about 18" longer than either the deck or pontoon can I "assume" the the motor pad takes up that 18"? Need to see if the motor sits right on the transom or if it is set back.
If it is even or up to a 6" setback then I will be fine...

The motor is always on the transom. Bennington frowns upon jack plates.

MY OLD 22sx W/ YAMAHA W/175 HIT 41 gps
MY NEW 23R W/ YAMAHA W/ 250 WILL DO 45 EASY

My 2018 22SSRX on trailer is 31 feet from tongue of trailer to prop nut. Depending on the trailer manufacturer the overall length could vary a few inches due to tongue length. 27 feet will not cover your boat and trailer completely, sorry.

Back