Speed with loaded down boat

Reaction score
What is everyone seeing speed wise with a loaded down boat? I have a 2018 25 ssbxp 200 Yamaha sps package. 9 adults 4 kids and partially clean toons I’m running 24 mph top speed at 5600 rpm trimmed up. Does this sound right??

Holy crap! 13 people on the boat? We recently had 5 couples (10 adults) on our boat for an early dinner across the lake. Easily cruised along at 25 mph. We were still able to hold a decent conversation and it was a comfortable ride. I doubt we would go any faster with that many people onboard. It's a 22 footer.

You should be faster than that with that boat at WOT - even loaded down like that.

On our 24’ SSBXP SPS 200 Mercury Verado Pro a week ago we had a full cottage of family out boating and tubing. With Sea Legs, 10 people on board and a Super Mable with another 3 people on it and I still got to 29-30 mph (I only took it up to that speed briefly with teens, otherwise a bit fast for us tubing). Without the tubing and at 13 we were mid-30’s, and again I have the extra weight of the Sea Legs.

Has it always been this way or is it a new development? If always that way, I’d think prop and motor mount issues. If it’s a new problem, are your toons dirty?

2018 Q25 with a Verado 350. 10 adults plus all our gear. Bimini's up runs about 40 at WOT 6100 RPM

2013 2375GCW ESP with F150, sea legs, 11 adults from helm forward, bimini up, 19mph @ 5200rpm

R23 with 300 HP Yamaha 8 adults and 2 children. 44 MPH WOT. This motor is a beast under load.

Last edited:
You should be faster than that with that boat at WOT - even loaded down like that.

On our 24’ SSBXP SPS 200 Mercury Verado Pro a week ago we had a full cottage of family out boating and tubing. With Sea Legs, 10 people on board and a Super Mable with another 3 people on it and I still got to 29-30 mph (I only took it up to that speed briefly with teens, otherwise a bit fast for us tubing). Without the tubing and at 13 we were mid-30’s, and again I have the extra weight of the Sea Legs.

Has it always been this way or is it a new development? If always that way, I’d think prop and motor mount issues. If it’s a new problem, are your toons dirty?
Bought the boat new last year and had motor problems. The dealer had to rebuild the motor. Yamaha technicians came out and ran it this year and put a different prop on and checked everything. With clean toons Was getting 38 wot with 5 adults. Boat sat in the water for about a month and toons got dirty speed dropped to 20 mph with 3 adults. So we scrubbed them in the water and was and was able to get back up to 34 mph wot. Toons are fairly clean now just seems like the motor is struggling!

Planing & not planing will net tremendously different results.
20 mph is fast if you are plowing. Nice thing is that you are rapidly decreasing your fuel load at that rate.

We have a 2019 we ordered sps with a 150 we leave it in the water and have lost about 7mh cause of dirty toons. Hit a pocket of Asian carp Friday that made the back of the boat look like. Amurder sceene. I pulled it out to clean it and pressure washed the toons. And we picked ubout 3+ mph from a half ass cleaning

2019 25 SSBXP with Mercury 200HP V6 and we get up to 35 mph WOT with 13 people on board (mix of kids and adults), running about 5200 RPM. Mild chop, not glass conditions.

My Old 22SSX w/ 175 Yamaha (non SHO) would hit 41 w/ me & Wife.
My Loaner boat 2019 23R w/ 200 Yamaha V-4 (same motor) Will hit 39 on Glass water.
My New Boat coming in 2 weeks will have the Yamaha 250 SHO!! I am hoping for a solid 40

Wait a minute......You're saying you are only losing 100 RPM with a dozen people?
I'm sorry, but that seems odd?

We have a 24SSLX w/200 etec and we constantly run 36-38 with 8 adults. You’ve either got really dirty toons or something is wrong!!

Back