Speedometer

isidennis

Reaction score
On the new 2575RCW does the Speedometer have the old style pickup tube or is it run through the GPS without the old style tube?

Mine is back by the transducer on the depth finder and is a little wheel...had to put a wedge in behind the mounting bracket to get it to work.... B)

On the new 2575RCW does the Speedometer have the old style pickup tube or is it run through the GPS without the old style tube?
I need to know if on the 2011 2575RCW the speedometer has the old style pickup tube or if it is just run through the GPS with out the tube....!

I need to know if on the 2011 2575RCW the speedometer has the old style pickup tube or if it is just run through the GPS with out the tube....!
Boats built since September, 2010 have a gps-driven speedometer, no speedo tube...UNLESS you have a Verado or Command Link control system. Some of these OEM gauge packages use another speedo system. Bennington's new 2011 gps-driven speedometer reading is by far the best we've used. So we're clear, gps-driven IS NOT gps on your console! Thanks, TB

p.s. Sadly, boat speedometers are notoriously inaccurate, no matter what type speedo or what type boat. :huh:

My boat speedometer was right on with the Speedview app I downloaded on my phone.

Boats built since September, 2010 have a gps-driven speedometer, no speedo tube...UNLESS you have a Verado or Command Link control system. Some of these OEM gauge packages use another speedo system. Bennington's new 2011 gps-driven speedometer reading is by far the best we've used. So we're clear, gps-driven IS NOT gps on your console! Thanks, TB

p.s. Sadly, boat speedometers are notoriously inaccurate, no matter what type speedo or what type boat. :huh:
My speedo is nowhere near accurate (spends most of the time hovering about 10). I will bring this to my dealer's attention and I ASSume it will be replaced with the gps-driven version. Right?

My speedo is nowhere near accurate (spends most of the time hovering about 10). I will bring this to my dealer's attention and I ASSume it will be replaced with the gps-driven version. Right?
you'll get another one like the original.

Just bought a 2006. Speedometer worked fine for the first week. Now it is erratic. Once it's going, it's OK. I think it's partial plugged. Use to disconnect the rubber hose from the speedometer blow through it. Would like to clean the pickup but can't locate it Any ideas????

Just bought a 2006. Speedometer worked fine for the first week. Now it is erratic. Once it's going, it's OK. I think it's partial plugged. Use to disconnect the rubber hose from the speedometer blow through it. Would like to clean the pickup but can't locate it Any ideas????
Could be located on the front of the outboard's lower unit.

Found my own "fix." Disconnected the rubber hose from the back of the speedometer and took compressed air, from a computer key board dust remover. The can already had the plastic tube on it. I insertred the tube into the freed up hose and pinched it with my fingers. Had my wife watch the stern area. After a few seconds, bubbles started coming from the bottom of the engine itself. Not only did we clear the pick up of whatever, we found where the pick up was. Hopes this helps others.

Could be located on the front of the outboard's lower unit.
That's where we found it. The Yamaha 225 is too low in the water. Can't get the very bottom of the engine out. Wonder if this could be causing the build up of gunk. Thanks

That's where we found it. The Yamaha 225 is too low in the water. Can't get the very bottom of the engine out. Wonder if this could be causing the build up of gunk. Thanks
It just takes hitting one little stick to clog it up. I have a small dill bit(sorry I don't remember the size) mounted into a short dowel rod. When swimming, I'll take the drill and hand clean out the opening. Works till the next time I hit a stick....

We have a 2009 2575 rcw i/o and was surprised it has no speedo at all. Is there a speedo that would fit our boat and look stock. It would help when trimming out to know then you hit the sweat spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not true. My speedometers never fails to tell me when I am somewhere between zero mph and the speed of light.

We have a 2009 2575 rcw i/o and was surprised it has no speedo at all. Is there a speedo that would fit our boat and look stock. It would help when trimming out to know then you hit the sweat spot.
Honestly, your best bet is to buy an inexpensive GPS. I have a basic waterproof model that cost me $100 3 years ago and I'm sure cheaper ones are now available.

Once you've used one for a bit, you get to know what the RPM translates as.

As for trim, the "sweet spot" changes somewhat with conditions. Mine stays around 1/3 "up".

Regardless, the best way to trim is by feel. No matter what speed you're going you will be able to feel it when the trim is right. The "resonance" just seems to hit the right tone.

Back