Spring Projects Before Hitting The Water

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
Summer to Boaters mean one thing, living on the water every second of everyday.

We do all our indoor projects during the ice cold winter and then rush the outside projects during the spring

So my list as always is long ...

Deck, Painting and Staining and sooo much more 

Dock improvements are high on the list as well

My question to you as tonight's temp will be -12F 

What projects do you have this spring 

And if you are without one do you want to visit Pittsburgh before the Boat Season begins to help me do mine (lol)

116538602.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully I will be tapping my maple trees and making syrup .

45 days until Opening Day of Baseball 

I have a couple of rooms I want to paint and we are working on cleaning out 20+ years of household accumulation. All of which I want done before April and the expected delivery of our new pontoon.   Unfortunately, it's so dang cold I can't get motivated.  This cold is suppose to last through the next week.  I am hoping that the Accuweather long term forecast is correct and that we see a warm up after next week.

Stain the cabin, replace the wood stove, build new bumpers on our dock for the new pontoon that's coming, clean out the basement at home, remodel the kitchen, and so on...... I'm getting too old for all this or is it keeping me from getting old?

Seastar.

Stain the cabin, replace the wood stove, build new bumpers on our dock for the new pontoon that's coming, clean out the basement at home, remodel the kitchen, and so on...... I'm getting too old for all this or is it keeping me from getting old?
I too need to stain the house, I want to go much lighter than the Dark Brown it is now 

Replacing the wood stove interests me 

I own two different types 

A Pellet Stove here at the lake 

A Buck Stove at the Pittsburgh home

Both are great to look at and throw plenty of heat

BUT

Being honest both are expensive to run and a ton of work

Model-20-ZC.jpg

pellet-stove-forums.jpg

Seasoned hardwood is 200.00 / cord 

And a 40lb bag of pellets cost almost 5.00 a bag when we first bought the stove they were 2.25/bag

Dont talk about cleaning and maintaining and the cost of the stoves are not cheap

I have a couple of rooms I want to paint and we are working on cleaning out 20+ years of household accumulation. All of which I want done before April and the expected delivery of our new pontoon.   Unfortunately, it's so dang cold I can't get motivated.  This cold is suppose to last through the next week.  I am hoping that the Accuweather long term forecast is correct and that we see a warm up after next week.
We have two house with 33 years of memories stacked in them 

I dread the idea of cleaning them out (lol)

KAYDANO 

Seastar ?

Are we thinking starfish ?

red-sea-star-beach-18846598.jpg

We're having a garage built whenever the ground thaws enough to dig, as it will have helical pilings drilled ~25-30' down. Fingers crossed, hoping for an early March start.

I'm also renovating a garage at our other property down the street that will become my workshop and mancave, but that's a very long term ongoing DIY project. I have my office there as well. There are enough projects at that property to keep me busy for another 30 years according to my wife. A very clever strategy on her part.

No. SeaStar hydraulic steering for the boat is my spring project.

Need to get the bathroom shower retiled and regrout some cracked areas.

LOL. I didn't know if you were joking...

Build new platform for helm seat.  Hopefully, sew a combination mooring towing cover for the boat.

With great help from GoldenRod I purchased the Express Toon with the underdeck wave shield. Purpose is for more buoyancy and a smoother ride. It has arrived at the marina and will be installed when the weather warms up. Also I had added some LED's under the seats but wasn't real happy with them, not sure what I am going to have done but definitely going to replace them.

One thing I would consider...Has anyone with the kicker speakers upgraded to the kicker speakers with the LED ring? Please comment and please provide a link

I just have some drywall repairs in our master bedroom. There is a tape seam I am not happy with and want to correct. I'm also going to add a closet in the laundry room. I also have to build a new fire pit, move the dock. It is all worth it though.  

As for you guys staining your decks, I'm so glad I spent the extra $ on my azek deck and have zero maintenance aside from giving it a powerwashing in the spring.

I will be doing the Trex flooring on my deck with a white Vinyl Railing 

Will be using the wood screw and machine screw to secure to joist 

trex-composite-kansas-city-tree-house-lava-rock-and-spiced-rub.jpg

cortex_trex_transc_tool.jpg

I am hoping for an early spring so I get the project done before Boating Season Begins

Have you looked into azek? It is PVC instead of wood fibers and fillers. I used a cortex which is similar to the screws you reference. They are color matched to the azek decking and are also made of pvc. You cannot see them unless you get on your hands and knees. If you are looking for vinyl railings I would suggest going through thedeckbarn.com. They have vinyl railings with aluminum sleeves top and bottom. Super strong and will not sag. I highly reccomend them. I also had a custom gate made by them too.

B5CAA3BF-E266-44AA-B0AF-CD22CD0468BC_zpsaepdymgb.jpg

LakeLiving ,

Thank you for the great advice, I have loved your deck since seeing your post last year 

during my dock rehabilitation. I will look into both the rail (thedeckbarn.com) and Azek Decking

I have to do it again at an affordable overall cost to lifetime ratio

Will let you know with the cold and snow we are still a good month away 

108671583.jpg

Needs an update , missing pickets looking its age 

It will take some time , will be adding additional joists to prevent waving of the deck boards

108672172.jpg

I will post it like I did last years project, this one will come with a heavier price tag for sure and be more time consuming

My biggest concern is the composite being hot and ofcourse scratching of the floor boards due to the movement of the patio furniture

Both are great products. TREX was the innovator of "composites" , and AZEK was one of the leaders in the pure PVC products. Now that AZEK bought Timbertech, they have the entire range of product offerings. Sadly, TREX sat back during their heyday and didn't see AZEK in their rear view mirror. AZEK/TIMBERTECH blew past them and now are playing catch up. They did learn their lesson the hard way, as even their budget end decking is 3 sided pvc encapsulated now. Here's one of AZEKS neater products. http://www.azek.com/products/pavers/

Back