SPS vs ESP Performance

ESP is more about banking turns like a traditional v hull. Speed is similar for the two types.

If you will be at 200HP or less, I’d recommend just going with the SPS. It handles incredibly well, I believe is a little bit lighter hull set up, and most importantly is singificantly cheaper than the ESP hull. IF going up to 250HP, possibly just go with an SPS+ hull because it is still less money than ESP. If going above 250, then the ESP is the hull to do it. The exception to all the above is if you want the ESP style performance vs. SPS style performance. Then perhaps the ESP is worth the extra cost, even at the 150-250HP range.

We have a 2250 with the ESP package and a Honda 250.
I surprised a lot of friends with the performance and turning radius. Tops out close to 50mph. We want to be able to pull skiers and tubes with our family of 8 and it does it with ease!

2019 22SSRXP SPS performance package with F200XB Yamaha. 43mph on GPS @ 5800 RPM's fully rigged and full of fuel with 1 person on-board. It has plenty of hole shot to pull a 275lbs skier from deep water. Smooth ride, cuts through waves very nicely and the turning capability is impressive. This is my first "toon", so I have no comparison to others brands or models. I have always had Vee bottom runabouts. My Bennington performs similar to my 1999 Crownline 225BR with a 5.7 and a Bravo 3 and uses WAYYY less fuel with tons more room.
It's like an aircraft carrier and a MiniCooper had a baby. Handles sporty yet has its own zipcode for deckspace. lol

It would be interesting to have the 2 handling packages (SPS and ESP) on 2 similar length/power boats compared with info like minimum possible turning radius at identical speed and photos/video of attitude of hull while in those aggressive turns. My 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150 seems to lift outboard toon quite high in a hard fast turn and I would wonder if the ESP really lifts more in same turn as members seem to mention. There are some "barrel racing" youtube videos that show some really aggressive maneuvers with performance tritoon boats cutting around buoys against the clock. They are a few years old but I think Manitou stood out as quickest. I don't think Bennington participated.

My 25’ ESP turns like my old 18’ Four Winns!

My 25’ ESP turns like my old 18’ Four Winns!
Do you think it could cut a 50' diameter circle from 25 mph? It seems like my SPS does that. Would be fun to take both out and try to compare. Of course its hard to judge distance by eyeballing boats wake on water. We had a mint 1976 Bayliner Saratoga 25' cuddy cabin i/o that we inherited from folks that when you turned agressively while pulling a tube actually felt scary like you could lose control and if you don't hold wheel firmly will veer towards starboard. It seems the Benny always feels in control even in hard turn. I love the lifted outboard tube feeling!

Back