SS Prop

bucktheplumber

Reaction score
We just got our new Bennington 23 ssbxp twin toon no lifting stakes with a 150 Yamaha, w/sealegs. My question is I am only hitting about 5000 rpm at wot the dealer sized the SS prop and i am pretty sure it is oversized there are no manufacturing label on it just a couple of numbers, pretty sure it is a 14 1/4" 16 pitch i think from what i have been reading it should be around a 13 Pitch ?

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 33
Is that with only you on board? If so definitely should work on it, you will want to be up much higher than that in the RPM range. Might take a little trial and error with the additional weight of the sea legs to find the happy spot

We had a full tank of fuel (20 Gallons) and the wife and I and we are not big people

Well then you definitely want to work to get it up to the 5800-6000 range I would think. I am not the magic man when it comes to prop selection.

Does it struggle to get to the 5000, or is it a pretty smooth acceleration to that point and just top out?

This will seem like a dumb question, but it actually played a role many moons ago, was the cup holder in the way of putting the throttle all the way down?

It does take off pretty smoothly up until about 4K rpm not much happens after that I have plenty of space between throttle and cup holder

On a super calm, no wave kinda day, I would be REALLY interested to see video of the under deck through the whole acceleration phase. I don't want to say "it's the sea legs fault" like mechanics used to do about aftermarket command start when it first came out (really funny story I can tell if you want), but I just don't know enough about the sea leg product.

The thought in my head is I wonder if the prop IS getting good bite in the water, but the turmoil under the deck of water hitting the sea legs is bogging the motor, similar too when you have a full boat load of people. So not necessarily a bogging sound, like when using a 12" post hole digger in thick wet clay like I've been doing all weekend, but just topping out.

Once again, I am probably about the LEAST experienced person on here with regards to props as I was pleased with the performance of each that originally came with my boat. Well maybe not on my 90hp, nothing pleased me about it except for being on the water, although in '09 I was still passing a lot of toons with 60's and 75's on them. I also have ZERO experience with sea legs, I love the idea of them and think it would be great if a manufacturer figured out a way to incorporate them in the factory with something like a sloped underskinning from the front and have them completely inset into the underskinning to reduce the drag issues, which I think would make them awesome.

Once again, I really have NO idea, these are all just thoughts rolling around in my head. Is there anyone around you that has a similar setup that you could compare to?
I do agree that the 16 might be a bit much, my 200 I think was a 15 and my 250 a 17, but not sure.

When I get a chance I will take a video of the underside, I know the sea legs tuck up pretty tight less than 5"

Tell your dealer you want to try a 13P and a 15P. 5000 rpm is too low at WOT.

I would think a 15p would be the most, without the sea legs. I’m with Bulldog. 14 or 13, although 13 might carry you over the top of 6000.

Isn't the rule of thumb 200 rpm gain for each inch of pitch dropped?

Twin toon... No strakes... 16 has to be WAY too much pitch.

I have three toons, six strakes, and a 15p on a 150. If I was you, I'd try the 13 first.

Thank you guy for all of your imput

Is there any specific brand of SS prop anyone would recommend ?

What about the Yamaha stock SS that comes standard on most motors 150 and up? I'd have to go out to see what it's called.

I knew someone would keep me from having to go out into the heat. Thanks Carl.

I have the same boat with Sea Legs but it has SPS package. I’m running a 14.4x17 stainless prop on a 150 Merc. Getting 35 mph @ 5200 rpm with 2 on board. They said they tried a 14.5x15 but hit the rev limiter so went with the 17p.

5200 is too low. Try a 16p.

I have the same boat with Sea Legs but it has SPS package. I’m running a 14.4x17 stainless prop on a 150 Merc. Getting 35 mph @ 5200 rpm with 2 on board. They said they tried a 14.5x15 but hit the rev limiter so went with the 17p.
Your boat gets up on plane. The original poster had two tubes and no strakes. That's a displacement hull, not a planing hull. Big difference. Can't compare pitches between those two boats.

Twin round tubes, no strakes and a 150 w/stainless is kind of a mismatch... Trying to get that to perform will be like squeezing turnip blood.

You still want to get the rpms dialed in to protect your motor though. But if there was ever a time to save money on a SS prop, this would be that time.

Back