Stainless Steel Swingback Keeper Rail

hallbob

Reaction score
Just curious if any Swingback owners have regrets about choosing the the keeper rail option, or regrets about not choosing it.

And if you did choose it and regret it, were you able to easily remove it? Looks to me like it is screwed on to the lounger's fence rail base and could be easily removed with a phillips head.

Hi, We went with the rail and am glad we did. We have 2 young children so it's adds a level of protection. I think when they get a bit older I will look at removing it. I took a quick look at it a while back and it didn't seem like it would be too difficult to remove. Just looked like it was bolted on but I didn't really study it too closely.
I also mounted 2 fishing rod holder brackets on it. Works good as the kids hang out on the lounger as we troll around. When we aren't fishing the rod holders detach from the bracket.

It also makes a good place to hang up life jackets to dry.

Can’t use the seat while the boat in going

This is correct, but not in all situations. Some areas require a rail/fence, some do not. Research your area or others you may travel to, to verify. You can still use the seat, but only in the forward seated position in areas that require a guard.

I do not have the rail and love the look and function. We floatilla alot, and its nice not have the rail in the way.

Boating in the lower Colorado the keeper rail is a necessity if you want to ride back there while under way. It also makes a good place to secure my lily pad using a ratchet strap.

wouldn't want it any other way

We have the rail and wouldn’t order the boat any other way. We have our spotters back their when tubing, and older kids love laying back there underway. In Michigan, we have to have the rail to have people back there when underway. Frankly, law or not, I’d require it. I also find it hand to strap items to it (life jackets), or something to grab onto when holding the rear of the boat at the dock, etc. Finally, I prefer the look with the rail on there, but that is probably different for others.

I’ve glanced at how its connected a couple times, but not real closely. It does appear to simply bolt on and off. Due to that, I’d add it to any build, and then at least retain the option of taking it off when you don’t want it.

I agree with Viking. Required by law or not, it wouldn’t be fun if you fell off underway. Mrs. Salad loves to ride back there underway, except on great hair days o_O. The only thing I don’t like about it (other than the price) is that water puddles back there no mater how tight you make the strap. I wind up having a bunch of tubes under the cover on top of the seat.

We have the rail and wouldn’t order the boat any other way. We have our spotters back their when tubing, and older kids love laying back there underway. In Michigan, we have to have the rail to have people back there when underway. Frankly, law or not, I’d require it. I also find it hand to strap items to it (life jackets), or something to grab onto when holding the rear of the boat at the dock, etc. Finally, I prefer the look with the rail on there, but that is probably different for others.

I’ve glanced at how its connected a couple times, but not real closely. It does appear to simply bolt on and off. Due to that, I’d add it to any build, and then at least retain the option of taking it off when you don’t want it.

You make many good points for the inclusion of the rail on the Swingback lounger. I will definitely include this as an option knowing I could always remove it later (doubt I would though).

Reattaching it could be an issue. After looking at many pictures on the interweb the rail is not bolted on but screwed on - and there is no telling (from pictures) what kind of QC went into tapping the threads for those screws.

I can confirm that the rail is screwed on and not bolted so I agree that reinstallation may be tricky. But the rail is extremely secure. I have leaned and pulled on it with my full body weight and there is no give at all. Not the case with some other areas of the boat that are screwed together such as seat hinges or struts.

We’re ordering ours with it....safety always comes first. Somewhat surprised it’s not standard, but Bennington is being bought out again, so go figure.

Somewhat surprised it’s not standard, but Bennington is being bought out again, so go figure.

Again??? You mean someone is buying Bennington from Polaris? (Bennington was privately owned before the acquisition by Polaris.)

And I don't have time to research it, but I'd still bet a week's pay the keeper rail strategy did not change as a result of the recent acquisition.

We chose against it , but I have a strict rule anyways nobody sits behind the captain ,Also we are empty nesters, we sat on one before we ordered and it got in the way we when we would lay down in the back , it is easy to remove if you have it ,its just a few bolts

Again??? You mean someone is buying Bennington from Polaris? (Bennington was privately owned before the acquisition by Polaris.)

And I don't have time to research it, but I'd still bet a week's pay the keeper rail strategy did not change as a result of the recent acquisition.

My bad. Bennington purchased Nautic Global Group which makes other boats like Godfrey, Hurricane, etc. Bennington was owned by a small group of 5 led by Steve Vogel. Now it’s being sold to Polaris Industries.

My bad. Bennington purchased Nautic Global Group which makes other boats like Godfrey, Hurricane, etc. Bennington was owned by a small group of 5 led by Steve Vogel. Now it’s being sold to Polaris Industries.

Polaris has had full ownership of Bennington since early July of this year.

Does anyone know where besides the dealership one can order the rail? the dealership is saying it is going to take six weeks to get one in and it is an hour for us to drive the boat to them to have it put in. We would like to just have it shipped to our house and install it ourselves.

Does anyone know where besides the dealership one can order the rail? the dealership is saying it is going to take six weeks to get one in and it is an hour for us to drive the boat to them to have it put in. We would like to just have it shipped to our house and install it ourselves.

You might call Sun Country Marine in Ontario Calif. They pulled mine off our boat when we picked it up in November and I told them to keep it.

Back