Stainless Steel Swingback Keeper Rail

We don't have a swing back but do have the stern loungers with an open stern and rail. We love it and would not go without the rail. It is a great place to hang life jackets to dry as many have said.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where besides the dealership one can order the rail? the dealership is saying it is going to take six weeks to get one in and it is an hour for us to drive the boat to them to have it put in. We would like to just have it shipped to our house and install it ourselves.

Bennington deals directly with dealerships only. They don’t ship directly to boat owners. Since it is a specific rail for their Swingback lounger, I don’t think there would be any other source for it other than Bennington. You might be stuck waiting the six weeks.

We have the rail and wouldn’t order the boat any other way. We have our spotters back their when tubing, and older kids love laying back there underway. In Michigan, we have to have the rail to have people back there when underway. Frankly, law or not, I’d require it. I also find it hand to strap items to it (life jackets), or something to grab onto when holding the rear of the boat at the dock, etc. Finally, I prefer the look with the rail on there, but that is probably different for others.

I’ve glanced at how its connected a couple times, but not real closely. It does appear to simply bolt on and off. Due to that, I’d add it to any build, and then at least retain the option of taking it off when you don’t want it.
I completely agree with Viking Staff. Though the rail is pricey, it is one of the most "bang for the buck" options that I got. It makes the swing back great extra seating while underway. Not to forget to mention, the stern is a pretty dangerous place when the motor is running and it is added safety.

Mine seems to have been very well installed and it is high quality. Adults can sit on it and you can pull the boat around by grabbing it. It is extremely sturdy.

We love ours and thought it one of the nicer options for the price when considering the cost of the bow removable seat that floats across the interior when underway.

I am very glad I did not buy the rail. I think it would get in the way for how we use the back of the boat when we are swimming and rafted up with others. I also prefer the look of the boat without it. The Swingback design is awesome, and you will love it!! Riding back there (when at reasonable speeds on reasonable water) is no problem on our lake. I have zero worries that someone will fall off the back. We have the tow cage around the motor too, so there is a structure between the back seats and the motor. Others have opinions too, but I'm very happy with my choice. IMG_8585.JPG

Our lake (and many others) it’s illegal to ride rearward if it does not have “rails”.

I agree with Chris A that the look of the boat without the rail is pretty cool. I wrestled with that but ultimately went for the rail for the reasons that I stated above, and the regulations in our waters took the choice away if I want to seat passengers on the swingback pad while underway. We also have an extended stern deck (and bow deck) so the rail doesn't interfere with use of the stern when swimming, fishing, tubing, etc. The presence of an extended stern deck would probably be something to factor in when deciding if you feel that it would impact your use.

Our lake (and many others) it’s illegal to ride rearward if it does not have “rails”.

On Lake Havasu, there have been a few tickets written even with the keeper rail?!?! I personally didn't want the keeper rail as I like to keep track of all going on in the boat.

On Lake Havasu, there have been a few tickets written even with the keeper rail?!?! I personally didn't want the keeper rail as I like to keep track of all going on in the boat.

So it’s illegal even with the keeper rail in your state? Wow! Glad one is legal in our state with it.

Last edited:
Wow! Glad one

It's somewhat of a gray area... They are citing for riding in an area which wasn't "designed and constructed for the purpose of carrying passengers at all speeds". The Bennington website clearly shows people riding inside the keeper rail while at speed. I'm sure you could fight this but who needs the aggravation?

I'm sure you could fight this but who needs the aggravation?

Not a sentiment I remotely understand.

If I thought a legal violation was out of line, even if minor, I’d fight it. Did it once, and had a traffic citation tossed. With the way rail is designed and marketed, I’d be having my day in court. It only remains gray until someone challenges the citation in court. At that point, a decisions is rendered and it would get settled, or due to further appeal, eventually settled.

My wife works for the San Bernardino County Sheriff department and we boat exclusively on Havasu. It is not a ticket able offense to ride back there with the keeper rail. So long as the gate is closed and the chain is pulled.
That being said, there are 5 agencies that patrol that water way and all interpret what defines the "interior of the boat differently"

We let people ride back there while underway and have never had an issue. I think it all comes down to who pulls you over!

My wife works for the San Bernardino County Sheriff department and we boat exclusively on Havasu. It is not a ticket able offense to ride back there with the keeper rail. So long as the gate is closed and the chain is pulled.
That being said, there are 5 agencies that patrol that water way and all interpret what defines the "interior of the boat differently"

We let people ride back there while underway and have never had an issue. I think it all comes down to who pulls you over!

Read this...
https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/lake-havasu-atorney-for-boat-related-ticket.201595/

Back