Stand up paddle board rack

JOwen72

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to strap a couple paddle boards to the side of our pontoon boats? I've seen pictures but not sure if they are home made or if there is a kit?

If it were me, I'd google it to see what you come up with. The again, if it were me I'd leave the paddle boards at home and enjoy that Benny of yours. :)

I am a potential brand new owner (boat's EDD is in Apr18) of a 2018 23SSXRP (read dual Capt Chairs) and I use my standup paddle board (SUPB) to stalk redfish. Mind you I have not done this yet but my plan is to use two Taylor Made pontoon boat rail fender hangers to fasten a simple "snap strap" to capture and grasp my SUPB fore and aft with bungee assisted gripes at the bottom to prevent side slap from boat bounce.
Capture Amazon Pontoon Boat Rail Fender Hangers.JPG

I'll place the boat on the starboard side where as helmsman/captain, I can keep an eye on it.

It's makes perfect sense to me to carry along my SUPB and I'm also confident that I'll also carry along a fully rigged for fishing Nucanoe kayak as well. The kayak will just sit on the deck and there will still be plenty of deck to move fore and aft.

In this scenario, I view my Bennington as the "Mother Ship" or in Navy lingo, my own personal LPD to support amphibious assaults. The opportunity to have my two best fishing platforms within an easy paddle to food, shade, cool water, fresh bait, etc should result is some EPIC catches. Not to mention that my catches will be more completely "iced" for optimum grilling flavor.

We’ve toyed with carrying along our stand up paddle board too. Following this thread to see where it goes.

Canoe, if you put together the system you are talking about above, repost this summer with pictures. I pretty much follow what your saying, but would love to see it visually. I could see it working nicely. My only concern would be avoidance of any scratching of the rails, side of the pontoon, etc... Curious how your system will turn out in that regard.

There was a member named Oregonizm that had a Paddleboard rack installed on the side of their Benny and they had posted a few pics of it. I did a search and they haven't been active for a few years now on this forum. I'm sure for those of you who are interested in a rack for your SUP poke around a bit on this forum and you might be able to still find the pics. They also had pics of a fender system that snapped to the rails that protected the entire side of their pontoon while rafting or just docked. Found those......

This is what google search turned up for me.

https://www.storeyourboard.com/sup-rack-for-pontoon-boats/

https://www.storeyourboard.com/sup-...yiUFFWKJNBLNcB4kNQDLidVG_9ShRzRBoCovYQAvD_BwE

I like the second one better, the first one only holds 1 board but you can buy a deal to bolt on there that can hold another. The second one is wide enough for 2 boards or a kayak.

They're a little more expensive than I was hoping. I guess I don't like the idea of just hanging them, as they will be banging around the side of the toon when cruising.

Both set ups look practical and nice. If simply slow cruising, I could see there systems working. I wonder how secure it all is under speed, in rougher water, etc... Would they clank around, cause any knicks here or there, or become lose? Hmm...

Either way, thinks for posting the above two links. Some nice food for thought.

We use bungee cords to strap our tube to the ski tow bar, it works great. Perhaps you could do something similar.

If you're a slow cruiser, just drag it behind you.

I am a potential brand new owner (boat's EDD is in Apr18) of a 2018 23SSXRP (read dual Capt Chairs) and I use my standup paddle board (SUPB) to stalk redfish. Mind you I have not done this yet but my plan is to use two Taylor Made pontoon boat rail fender hangers to fasten a simple "snap strap" to capture and grasp my SUPB fore and aft with bungee assisted gripes at the bottom to prevent side slap from boat bounce.
View attachment 21635

I'll place the boat on the starboard side where as helmsman/captain, I can keep an eye on it.

It's makes perfect sense to me to carry along my SUPB and I'm also confident that I'll also carry along a fully rigged for fishing Nucanoe kayak as well. The kayak will just sit on the deck and there will still be plenty of deck to move fore and aft.

In this scenario, I view my Bennington as the "Mother Ship" or in Navy lingo, my own personal LPD to support amphibious assaults. The opportunity to have my two best fishing platforms within an easy paddle to food, shade, cool water, fresh bait, etc should result is some EPIC catches. Not to mention that my catches will be more completely "iced" for optimum grilling flavor.
We have a Body Glove SUP and it is pretty heavy. Not sure I'd want that load prying out on the rails. Maybe yours is a lighter model.

On a side note....honest answer on SUP's. In my late 40's, portly and once athletic, not so much anymore but trying to get back. Is a SUP an effort in futility?

Back