Standard Gauge Cluster

Cap'n Mel

Reaction score
I should know this but...can anyone tell me what features the standard gauge cluster includes? I don't have my first Benny yet and cannot remember what I saw in the showroom!

I know you don't get a speedo(meter), does it come with a depth gauge? Can't find the info on the Bennington website and live an hour from my dealer so can't get there to check it out.

Also, does anyone have personal experience with the Mercury Marine MercMonitor all in one gauge? Looks like it does just about everything. I'm thinking about having one installed.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on model, basic clusters are RPM, TRIM, and FUEL. 

The basic gauges do indeed only have trim - fuel - rpm with digital hour meter in the bottom.....a pic of our when we hit 300 hours last summer.

DSCN8475_zpshmxhvax9.jpg

For depth - water temp - fish finder - gps speedometer we added a lowrance mark 4 to our boat.  It's not color or very fancy but it does get the job done and it fit our budget (less than 200 installed).

Not a very good pic from last summer but you get the idea

DSCN8381_zpsyyu6zpuc.jpg

Little better pic from our 2015 dec 5th boat ride.....after it came back from the factory for warranty work.

DSCN4276%20-%20Copy_zpshrn0mars.jpg

I added the GPS speedo on both of mine. Love having it.

I have two Merc Smart gauges, one RPM and one MPH. Both have digital insets that show a variety of additional engine information (oil, temp, etc.). Although mine also have air and water temp, neither is functional on my set-up. I do have a cheap fish finder that provides depth and water temp that came with the boat.

Have the same layout as Indian Lake Bum. Also have a factory Garmin inland GPS, that fits every need we have!

Depending on model, basic clusters are RPM, TRIM, and FUEL.
I know this is an older thread - but thought it would be handy to have the info altogether.

Does anyone know for the for the S model, premium, if the basic gauge cluster is TRIM, RPM and FUEL? Does that change if you have a Simrad G05? If you have the Yamaha Pre-rig as well? (And by the way, what does the Yamaha pre-rig give me? It was something my dealer included, on my build.)

I've not been able to find a pic of a 2018 S model with Simrad G05.

I've seen some pics from 2017 year. In some cases, the three gauge cluster was the TRIM, RPM and FUEL and the Simrad was mounted lower on the right side of the steering wheel (opposite the stereo). But I've seen a few pics with the Simrad mounted up top where the three gauge cluster usually is. In those pictures, the Simrad replaced the RPM guage and was in between the TRIM and FUEL gauges. Definitely not as "pretty" of a helm; understand it is probably easier to use. I asked my dealer and he didn't know where it would be mounted. I think the picture above of Indian Lake Bum's gauge cluster is a really pretty look. Understand he has a G model and that an S will be somewhat different.

Was just wondering if there was a "standard" mount location for the Simrad, or if I should be asking that it be located where I want it? (And then I wonder, where would I want it? Where it looks best or where it is the easiest to use?)

And I'm assuming that having the Yamaha Pre-rig I won't end up with the Yamaha command dials?

Thanks!

Here are a couple pictures from our 2017 SSBXP with a Simrad G05. Not sure if the 2018 will be an identical set up, or not. However, The Simrad mounted in the center of the cluster is very practical, and easy to see. Aesthetics are important, but when you are constantly behind the wheel, practical and easy to see will win out over time.

2622CD3C-AD79-4B16-8255-30F204FE7B00.jpeg

30C2CDA6-7B6F-47D9-A23F-7C98CE443DF4.jpeg

Here are a couple pictures from our 2017 SSBXP with a Simrad G05. Not sure if the 2018 will be an identical set up, or not. However, The Simrad mounted in the center of the cluster is very practical, and easy to see. Aesthetics are important, but when you are constantly behind the wheel, practical and easy to see will win out over time.

View attachment 21544

View attachment 21543
Thanks, Vikingstaff - good advice. Thanks, too, for the pics - your boat looks great. Did you get the Yamaha pre rig? Was an option my dealer included. Wondering whether I should delete it. Does it provide the Simrad w info?

Thanks.

Did you get the Yamaha pre rig? Was an option my dealer included. Wondering whether I should delete it. Does it provide the Simrad w info?

Thanks. We do love our boat. We have a Mercury Verado Pro with their DTS control system. I don’t think it provides the Simrad with info. However, I think most on here have Yamaha’s so they can likely answer these questions better.

Did you get the Yamaha pre rig? Was an option my dealer included. Wondering whether I should delete it. Does it provide the Simrad w info?

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 'pre-rig' is Bennington running the motor control wiring and/or cabling at their factory, specific to the motor you select. The motors don't ship with the boats but the controls and cables are installed by Bennington. So not something you can delete, I don't believe, but price might change depending on the motor you select.

View attachment 21544

View attachment 21543
Does the Simrad show depth?

Yes, Yamaha pre rig is exactly as stated. The cable and controls are run by the factory, not something you can delete.

Thanks. We do love our boat. We have a Mercury Verado Pro with their DTS control system. I don’t think it provides the Simrad with info. However, I think most on here have Yamaha’s so they can likely answer these questions better.
I could be wrong, but I believe the 'pre-rig' is Bennington running the motor control wiring and/or cabling at their factory, specific to the motor you select. The motors don't ship with the boats but the controls and cables are installed by Bennington. So not something you can delete, I don't believe, but price might change depending on the motor you select.
Yes, Yamaha pre rig is exactly as stated. The cable and controls are run by the factory, not something you can delete.
Thanks, everyone. On the Bennington Boat Build, it shows the Yamaha pre rig as an option. For a lot of options, if you make a certain selection, it automatically checks the boxes of the other things that are mandatory with that option. For instance if you select the "RGB toe kick lighting", it automatically selects the "RGB Lighting and Switch Panel". So when I select the "Yamaha 150 HP", it doesn't automatically select the "Yamaha Pre-Rig". So it was looking like an option on the build a boat website, versus something that is required with a Yamaha motor selection.

I love the Bennington website and appreciate that they give MUCH more information that most other manufacturers. So it seems wrong to say what's coming next, but here it is TB if you are reading - please give more detail on the options for those of us who like online research! (For instance when you click on the "more info" button for the "Yamaha Pre-Rig", it shows two Yamaha gauges.) So I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea about what the Pre-Rig really is. If it was just going to give me additional motor data or was some sort of command link to feed motor info to the Simrad, I was going to think about whether I wanted to spend those dollars or not.

Thanks to all of your for your answers! And here's a shout out to a great Bennington website that has given me tons of great information as I order an awesome pontoon!

To my knowledge, pre-rig is the throttle and associated cabling for same installed at factory.

Back